Question: X’s and O’s...How does Bama matchup against LSU?

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Also consider Mizzou probably has the best defensive line we will see all year unless we play Kentucky. Tua was under substantial pressure vs Mizzou. I would say he will be more healthy going against a lesser d line vs LSU.
I believe MSU has a better d line and AU probably does too. Ours has been underwhelming especially after the loss of K’lavon for the year with the ACL tear.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I dunno. Grant Delpit is pretty good. I think he can easily intercept Tua.
Just to get you off on the right foot, reasoned discussion by rival fans is welcomed, i.e., "I think Delpit can give you some issues your QB hasn't seen." Remarks intended just to stir the pot will earn you a quick exit. If you understand that, welcome...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
the 2 games since the injury Tua is 31 of 52 (60%), down from 75% before the injury , and the qb keepers have been very limited so I would say he’s not the same. His accuracy hasn’t been the same. Never said he wasn’t still great, but not quite the same. The rest will help!
Most of the drop in completion % came in the first game after the injury. He was 66% in the last game, including his last 9 in a row. Even though it probably was, we really don't even know that the injury was what caused the drop. He still hit many difficult throws but was high on others which is usually his tendency if he is going to be off a little.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I believe MSU has a better d line and AU probably does too. Ours has been underwhelming especially after the loss of K’lavon for the year with the ACL tear.
A&M does as well - they don’t have the #4 rushing defense for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
A&M does as well - they don’t have the #4 rushing defense for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do believe Texas AM's defense is the best we have played so far. Luckily we had them at home where our offense was easier to run as far as noise, stress, etc.

LSU's defense IMO will be better than that overall, especially in the secondary. I think our offense may be under more stress with the noise and environment level though. I would not be surprised if Tua did throw his first interception (but I hope he has no turnovers). I just hope both he and Jalen can play the whole game without injury or worse injury... I like Mac Jones but not sure he is ready to win that game for BAMA if it comes down to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do believe Texas AM's defense is the best we have played so far. Luckily we had them at home where our offense was easier to run as far as noise, stress, etc.

LSU's defense IMO will be better than that overall, especially in the secondary. I think our offense may be under more stress with the noise and environment level though. I would not be surprised if Tua did throw his first interception (but I hope he has no turnovers). I just hope both he and Jalen can play the whole game without injury or worse injury... I like Mac Jones but not sure he is ready to win that game for BAMA if it comes down to that.
aTm's defense has a solid front 7, but their back end is terrible. Their pass efficiency defense is somewhere among the worst in the country. LSU has a front 7 that is comparable to aTm, even without White, but their back end is amazing. They are among the best pass efficiency defenses (ranked higher than Alabama).

I am not worried about Alabama beating LSU in this game. I think that you could as easily win by 30 as 10 (and I really don't see you losing). But I think that LSU's secondary is at a level that Tua has not faced as a starter at Alabama. They are better than GA's secondary in the CFPCG.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, the LSU/MSU game is being replayed on ESPNU right now - just started.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
aTm's defense has a solid front 7, but their back end is terrible. Their pass efficiency defense is somewhere among the worst in the country. LSU has a front 7 that is comparable to aTm, even without White, but their back end is amazing. They are among the best pass efficiency defenses (ranked higher than Alabama).

I am not worried about Alabama beating LSU in this game. I think that you could as easily win by 30 as 10 (and I really don't see you losing). But I think that LSU's secondary is at a level that Tua has not faced as a starter at Alabama. They are better than GA's secondary in the CFPCG.
Viewing the LSU vs MSU film LSU did have some blitz packages that can get home against any team so no team can expect to get into long developing plays and be successful. I do see Bama presenting the same type of challenge that TAMU presents with the tight end or slot receiver in front of the safeties. It is sort of choose your poison as a defense, double Jeudy and have Irv Smith free underneath or play all three WRs one on one deep. I am not an expert on how the numbers match up but if Bama can contain the blitz for a two count Jacobs and Irv Smith become awesome ball control and move the chain weapons. I don't see CNS going into Tiger Stadium with a plan that would have Tua throwing 50/50 balls into a coverage that has a safety over the top to run to the ball. He has to many weapons to get into that unless Bama is down late in the game.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I hope they give us the short stuff and we take it. A few long drives and no turnovers will reduce the nr of times LSU has the ball. I don't consider them a quick strike offense so our D should be more than adequate to hold them under 21. We should get more fairly easily. JMHO.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Blasphemy, no one is better than Deandre Baker! Deandre Baker takes half the field leaving the other 4 DBs to cover the other half. That alone would make Georgia better . FWIW, I agree that LSU has a better defensive backfield. Perhaps the best he will play in his time in college. Scouts will Be looking at this game film when Tua goes to the NFL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hope they give us the short stuff and we take it. A few long drives and no turnovers will reduce the nr of times LSU has the ball. I don't consider them a quick strike offense so our D should be more than adequate to hold them under 21. We should get more fairly easily. JMHO.
Those short passes can turn into TDs with the speed of your receivers and RBs - and your TEs have got to be keeping them up at night.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
In reference to some of Tua's inaccuracies the last couple of games, what he talks about in this Tennessee post-game interview might have contributed to this. About 14 seconds in he talks about the "slope" on the field that he had to adjust to.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I am not sure that his lower percentage was tied to his injury. In both games Tua refused to settle for check-down passes when they were there. It cost Alabama at least 2 TDs against Mizzou in the red zone. TN didn't have the horses to slow you down so it didn't cost you points, but LSU does. Tua is the best QB that I have seen in my lifetime at the college level, but he falls in love with the home run and forgets that singles and doubles are just as effective.
This. I'm starting to see the trend with Tua. I've noticed that in the last few games. IN the game against Tennessee, he had a wide open guy that he could've checked down and live to see another series. That will not work against LSU, like you said. HE has two weeks to study LSU Film, and understand who will be open and etc. Play it safe, force LSU to make mistake and then try for a homerun once in a while.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.