Question: Why do opponents defer the coin toss vs. Bama?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I remember when taking the ball was the norm when a team won the toss. Then at some point coach Bryant started to defer because he wanted to put his best unit on the field first. After a while, deferring until the 2nd half became the norm. Others may recall the details better than me, but it seemed like CPB started or made popular the trend to defer.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It's more about having the ball first coming out of the half - after you've had a chance to make adjustments to what the other team is doing - and trying to set the tone and gain momentum for the second half.
Bingo this is why 99.999999999% defer. They want to be first to get ball after half time adjustments.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I remember when taking the ball was the norm when a team won the toss. Then at some point coach Bryant started to defer because he wanted to put his best unit on the field first. After a while, deferring until the 2nd half became the norm. Others may recall the details better than me, but it seemed like CPB started or made popular the trend to defer.
Deferral wasn’t always an option. I’m old enough to remember the old days of a simple kick/receive option to start the game. Then the other team chose to start the second half.

Anybody know when deferral was added to the college game?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Deferral wasn’t always an option. I’m old enough to remember the old days of a simple kick/receive option to start the game. Then the other team chose to start the second half.

That is what the deferral means. It means that you choose to kick or receive at the initial kickoff or you defer to make the choice in the second half. I don't ever remember it being otherwise, but my memory isn't what it used to be. And, yes, coaches have chosen to kick off in the second half.

Calling Selma...

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
That is what the deferral means. It means that you choose to kick or receive at the initial kickoff or you defer to make the choice in the second half. I don't ever remember it being otherwise, but my memory isn't what it used to be. And, yes, coaches have chosen to kick off in the second half.

Calling Selma...
I think I wasn't clear. In the old days, if you won the toss, you had two choices: kick or receive. Today, you have three: kick, receive, or defer your choice to the second half.

Don't know exactly when that changed, but it's in my conscious memory, so some time after 1970 or so.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

It wasn't an option in the NFL until 2008.

As for college and/or high school football, a moderate Google search doesn't seem to indicate when deferral became an option.

I do know, though, that - at least in Alabama high school football - deferring was an option in the late 60s or early 70s because I have an uncle who was responsible for his team kicking off in both halves.

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
In my opinion, who has the ball first means very little, but....... I am a professional armchair coach !! Put your best team on the field first. If you are a defensive team, go for field position. If you are an offensive team, then get points on the board.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
My understanding is it never changed. The refs would signal kick or receive in the days before they had wireless mics. They would indicate who won the toss and what they would do. If they won the toss and kick that meant they deferred. Why would anyone win the toss and choose to kick off when the other team would choose to receive starting the 2nd half? Now that we have audio from the ref he explains who won and if they differed their choice to the 2nd half.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I seem to recall us kicking off both halves in the Bryant years. But maybe that is from me being young and only hearing it over the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I seem to recall us kicking off both halves in the Bryant years. But maybe that is from me being young and only hearing it over the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember that, too, and it wasn't a mistake. The logic was that we had a good D, it was expected to be a low-scoring game, and we wanted to put out best unit on the field first. Especially if it was a highly emotional game, with maybe a young KO returner and you were a bit concerned about cleanly fielding the ball.

Also, remember the rules of the day didn't nearly so heavily favor the offense -- DB contact at the line and before the ball was in the air, and especially OL blocking downfield.

Last edited:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So with Devin White being suspended for the first half, if we win the toss, might that provide added impetus to take the ball in the first half?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So with Devin White being suspended for the first half, if we win the toss, might that provide added impetus to take the ball in the first half?
Good question. If I were Saban, I would still defer. If things do not go as well as you anticipate, I would want the ball first after halftime adjustments

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
If I was HC I might consider it but has Saban ever taken the ball first when winning the toss since the deferral option was started?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.