35 years ago, the Beirut bombing took the lives of 220 US Marines...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Thirty-five years ago, two suicide bombers killed 241 American and 58 French military personnel, as well as six civilians, in Beirut, Lebanon. The incident marked the largest single-day loss for the US military since the Vietnam War's Tet Offensive.

The horrific Oct. 23, 1983 attack on the multinational peacekeepers, an attack purportedly perpetrated by the Iranian-funded terrorist organization Hezbollah, was especially devastating for the US Marine Corps, which lost 220 service members. The Corps had not suffered such a loss since in one day since Iwo Jima. Eighteen US Navy sailors and three Army soldiers were also killed in the Beirut barracks bombing, and dozens of others were injured.
https://www.businessinsider.com/rem...the-anniversary-of-the-beirut-bombing-2018-10

Rest in peace...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was five days short of my fourteenth birthday that day. It set us all on full-scale alert. A lot of the casualties were brought to hospitals in West Germany - Wiesbaden, Ramstein (16 miles from me) and Landstuhl (20 miles from me). Keep in mind - this was against the backdrop only seven weeks earlier of the Soviet Union shooting down KAL 007. It was a very tense time to put it mildly.

I later worked for a guy who was in the Marines and while he wasn't there, he had several friends who were in the building. (I later had two coworkers who were in the Khobar Towers bombing as well as a future NCOIC who had hearing problems from that one).

Two other things:

1) at the time of the bombing, it was the largest non-nuclear blast on record

2) It gave President Reagan serious reservations about the pending invasion of Grenada, which they'd been planning since the previous Wednesday.

RIP soldiers

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.