If Florida wins this weekend what does that mean?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I would not put weight on it too much. The year after Alabama made it back to the big leagues we had 3 losses in the regular season. Now just imagine how stupid people would look now if they discounted Bamas resurgence back in 2010. If Florida wins then UGA will work twice as hard next season.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It would mean Kirby still has some work to do. Fans still have some growing pains to endure. Georgia is not going anywhere as long as Kirby keeps reeling those five stars in. It would mean Mullen has overachieved one more time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do think Florida has overachieved this season simply because Mullen is a much better coach than Muschamp and McIlwain. As for UGA, overall the talent is as good or better than last year, the difference has been the lack of experience, the RBs are not near as good and Fromm is likely in a sophomore slump. I believe UGA wins out and is in the SECC game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It would mean what a minority here believed from the start in that it was an overreaction to put Kirby as the next elite coach, and believing Georgia is truly back.

I think, as I’ve always have, that Mullen coming to UF actually was the worst thing Kirby could ever imagine. Mullen is a lot better coach than the Saban disciples that coached at UF before him.

UGA may win the battle this week but I have my doubts they win the war if FSU doesn’t start challenging UF for the state in recruiting.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Florida beats Ga is Ga's run over? What would that mean to the Ga fans who were thinking they were about to join the big leagues?

The narrative shifts from, "Kirby Smart is the next Saban" to "Now that Dan Mullen actually has a recruiting base, it's clear HE'S the next Saban."

And - God forbid - if we lose to LSU.....AND Florida wins......the narrative turns into, "Could this be the 'passing of the torch'?" nonsense.

95% of college football writers think they're infallible. They are self-appointed popes writing ex cathedra from the throne of American Standard. They'll tell us Ohio St is a great team (this is just an example). The moment Ohio State gets blistered by a perceived inferior opponent, they do TWO things:

1) say Ohio State was overrated (have you ever noticed they almost NEVER say, "WE overrated Ohio State"? No, it's Ohio State's fault. It's almost like when a doctor makes a mistake and then comes out and says, "He/she didn't make it" - it makes it sound like it's the person's fault)
2) immediately tout the team they didn't think could win as having great potential or being a great story

I think some of you need to keep in mind that Kirby Smart's entire reputation as a head coach is based upon TWO games. First, he beat Notre Dame on the road EARLY in the season last year. Beating Notre Dame - for reasons that still to this day mystify me - is STILL considered just one step short of legendary status despite the fact that Notre Dame has lost about as often as they've won (from 1997-today their on field record is 167-102, and it was 107-78 at the end of 2011). I'm guessing this is the old "we have a bunch of still living old sportswriters who can remember the late 1970s and think nothing ever changed," which is how these schlubs can mouth nonsense about the importance of conference championships).

The other game was beating Oklahoma, a game where the Sooners pretty much beat themselves.

Think about it......what would the story be if NICK SABAN had blown a 13-0 halftime lead in the national title game? Smart gets credit for "almost winning," Saban gets ripped for "his teams have given up 40 points eight times" (Skip Clueless).

Smart's reputation is the product of those two games plus "almost beating" Saban.

You know.....kind of like Kevin Sumlin's reputation was the product of two games where he went 1-1 against Saban.

The latter turned out to be a fraud.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
What it would mean to me is that UF is ahead of schedule under Mullen. I always expected UGa to drop off some after last year's great season, but I didn't really expect to see a 10 win UF team so quickly and that's what we are going to see, most likely.

rtr

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If you don't mind...a littel perspective. I agree that Coach Mullen is a much better fit for Florida than their two previous head coaches, Champ and Mac.

And what he has done this year is fantastic, including bringing in the new staff - strength and conditioning, defensive coordinator, special teams, etc. World of difference.

I can't remember the last season when we haven't been mostly a team of wounded warriors. Especially noteworthy is we are still playing our 1st string QB! When is the last season we still had a starting 1st string QB this late in the season?

You also have to keep in mind that last season we started off with all those players suspended for the season, including our leading receiver and running back. And our #1 defensive player was lost to injury a week before the season started. That made a huge impact on why we only won 4 games last season.

So what I am saying is, no doubt, we are doing good so far this year, but we've always had the talent to do well, when they weren't suspended or injured or not being trained and coached up right.

In that respect (and context), I'm not too surprised we are doing good this year.

As far as what a win over Georgia means.....it means I will be smiling and in a good mood! And secondly.....Florida is one game closer to getting back to Atlanta. That's a long shot at this point and I'm not getting my expectations up. Just looking forward to what will be a fierce battle and great entertainment for the fans. What more could one ask for?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
So what I am saying is, no doubt, we are doing good so far this year, but we've always had the talent to do well, when they weren't suspended or injured or not being trained and coached up right.
So if you added, "not playing up to expectations" you would be describing why most 4 win teams win only 4 games. :)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I'm not so sure that is accurate.
I am. I see no way the lizards win this game.
Everything else being equal, I think Fromm>>>>Burrow. And it’s at a “neutral” site - playing at DV (for everyone but Bama) is a tough haul. Lizards wouldn’t have beaten The Who’s there, either.
Should by some happenstance the lizards win, I’d love for Bama to play them in the SECCG; first things first, however. Bama needs to shut down that tough talk from Ogre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything else being equal, I think Fromm>>>>Burrow. And it’s at a “neutral” site - playing at DV (for everyone but Bama) is a tough haul. Lizards wouldn’t have beaten The Who’s there, either.
Should by some happenstance the lizards win, I’d love for Bama to play them in the SECCG; first things first, however. Bama needs to shut down that tough talk from Ogre.

I hear you, but there is something wrong with UGA. LSU showed that. Fromm on third down is horrible and putting the freshman in there isn't the answer. Not saying UF will win, but I am not saying UGA will either. It's more of a toss up.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

Yeah, I think UGA is a much better team than UF. Only thing is Mullen has been known to have teams ready to play against teams that are more talented than them before.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It depends how Florida wins. If Fromm is ineffective then suddenly UGA has a problem at QB. So far Fields has not shown enough to prove he's up to the task either. I'd also have to wonder if UGA might have fallen victim to "Rat Poison" following last season's success. It might show that Kirby may be just an average coach that just benefited from having a talented team last season. It would also show that Florida is for real and that Dan Mullen is the second best coach in the SEC.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Will Kirby resign if they lose? If not it means very little in the long run, just that his process will take another recruiting cycle. He’s winning at recruiting! BTW I agree with CJ, Georgia will win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.