We should start Jalen..........

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
BTW any word on Jalen’s progress since his ankle surgery last Monday? I’m sure Saban will update at his PC this afternoon.
I am looking forward to today's update to see if Jalen is at least out there throwing. He did not practice last week. If he can't practice by this Wed, I doubt he will play much Sat. If he does, he will be rusty. I hope he is ready... I don't feel comfortable about the offense if Mac Jones has to play against LSU's defense, due to a Tua injury.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I am looking forward to today's update to see if Jalen is at least out there throwing. He did not practice last week. If he can't practice by this Wed, I doubt he will play much Sat. If he does, he will be rusty. I hope he is ready... I don't feel comfortable about the offense if Mac Jones has to play against LSU's defense, due to a Tua injury.
After the spring game, I'd absolutely love to see Mac Jones actually throw the ball. He was very promising then, and I don't think it serves us well to not let him get the opportunity to do it in game.

Why must Saban be so classy. I don't look at is as running up the score vs progression. If he scores on a drive using at least 60% passing, then ok, run and kill the clock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Crap. To be completely honest I forgot about the high ankle thing. Yup. No go for Jalen. And I think it's a nice touch having to make the other team play from behind as quickly as possible.

This could be the game where we don't score on the first possession. And if their defense is able to pull that off, the failed third down conversion may set off their earthquake monitoring equipment again. Seriously.

That stadium will go from insane to apocalyptic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It was a minor procedure to try and help the healing. CNS said he should be ready to work on the field this week. If he does, I believe he'll be good to go by Saturday.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Again I said start Jalen NOT replace Tua for the game. Man you guys are putting words in my mouth. I never said replace Tua just START Jalen, you know he will see a few series late most likely, why not do it early, not like he will tank the game. YOU I and everyone who has seen Tua play in Title game saw what he does when he comes in even in bad situation. Jalen for 2-3 series just for another look, Then Tua walks in after seeing a few series of LSU D and goes to his methodical way of picking them apart. 2-3 series do folks really think Jalen can not at least match their QB for 2-3 series?
IMO, you just don't fool around with a game. The entire complexion of the game would likely be different if Jalen plays the first 3 series vs Tua - and it would almost surely be worse for Bama. 3 series would be 25% of Bama's possessions. Saban wouldn't do this for Ark much less LSU - again, you just don't fool around with a game. If things went wrong and catastrophe ensued, it could derail the program and effectively end Bama's run. To put it in the kindest terms: it would be unwise. Thankfully, the only thing that matters is that CNS is way too smart to pull a stunt like that - he would NEVER do it.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Based on my experience with "high ankle sprains", I would expect Jalen to be out a minimum of 4 weeks. Even after 4 weeks he will not be able to run or cut full speed. A high ankle sprain means that the syndesmotic membrane (between the lower one third of the tibia and the distal fibula) is disrupted. The so-called "minor procedure" was likely the placement of screws connecting the tibia and the fibula in order to stabilize the posiition of these bones. I am not in any way involved with Jalen's care and normally don't like to post medical speculation but the notion that Jalen will be "ready to go Saturday" sounds extremely farfetched. Coach speak aside, some expectations ought to be tamped down. Expect Mac Jones to get a lot of reps in practice this week. It is too bad (but understandable) that Mac has not thrown the ball much during his mop up duty because Coach Saban didn't want to run up the score. For the next 4 weeks, however, Mac will likely be the number 2 QB and will have to lead the team if Tua is injured.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Based on my experience with "high ankle sprains", I would expect Jalen to be out a minimum of 4 weeks. Even after 4 weeks he will not be able to run or cut full speed. A high ankle sprain means that the syndesmotic membrane (between the lower one third of the tibia and the distal fibula) is disrupted. The so-called "minor procedure" was likely the placement of screws connecting the tibia and the fibula in order to stabilize the posiition of these bones. I am not in any way involved with Jalen's care and normally don't like to post medical speculation but the notion that Jalen will be "ready to go Saturday" sounds extremely farfetched. Coach speak aside, some expectations ought to be tamped down. Expect Mac Jones to get a lot of reps in practice this week. It is too bad (but understandable) that Mac has not thrown the ball much during his mop up duty because Coach Saban didn't want to run up the score. For the next 4 weeks, however, Mac will likely be the number 2 QB and will have to lead the team if Tua is injured.
Cam Robinson: https://247sports.com/college/alaba...am-Robinson-was-able-to-play-at-LSU-32838179/
He played two weeks after his "high ankle sprain"

and then this quote by Saban last week:
“It was a bit of a high ankle sprain and they did a minor procedure to try and help the healing. I think he’ll be out for one week, probably just this bye week, and will probably be ready to start working again next week.”

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I appreciate that overview from a medical standpoint. I had done some research from a lay person standpoint since I had heard of high ankle sprain on so many occasions in the past. I had, perhaps wrongfully, believed that it was a tear/strain of the ligament that would not tend to destabilize the entire structure. If the "minor procedure" is as you suggest it would appear that it is aimed at allowing him to rehabilitate over a lengthy period of time more associated with playoff game availability or even next season. I would be interested in what would be considered normal healing time for such an injury.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
When Coach Saban says "start working again next week" that could mean tossing a ball during practice while wearing a big boot. After a torn syndesmosis it takes time to heal. Step one: crutches. Step two: painfully bear weight while wearing a "moon boot". Step three: wear an air splint and walk with a limp and minimal pain. If your job involves standing and walking you might be able to do that in a week. If your job is dual threat quarterback it's going to take a while. Jalen is a young, healthy athlete with access to state of the art PT,OT, sports nurtition and other modalities to hasten return to normal function. He is going to heal faster than the average middle aged weekend warrior. Based on what he does in practice in the next couple of weeks we will get a better idea when he will be able to play again.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
If Jalen is not ready to go then there is a real reason to be concerned. It's good bet that Tua will be taking a few hits in the LSU game and if he hurts the knee again and has to leave the game suddenly we are counting on Mac Jones to lead us to a win in a tough environment.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
If Jalen is not ready to go then there is a real reason to be concerned. It's good bet that Tua will be taking a few hits in the LSU game and if he hurts the knee again and has to leave the game suddenly we are counting on Mac Jones to lead us to a win in a tough environment.
That is one of my concerns too. I hope Jalen is ready to play, if needed, even if he can't run much. It would be nice to see him be a run threat and be able to do the Tua/Jalen plays. Mac Jones needs lots of reps just to be safe though.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
We'll be fine.
Tua is fine. Jalen is fine. Mac Jones is fine.
Everybody plays with injuries and everyone with a nick has had 2 weeks to ice it - same as LSU. The game will be won or lost based on who the better team is.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just saw a video of today's practice. I don't know if this means anything, but Jalen wasn't going thru footwork drills and he was walking very gingerly and with a noticeable limp.

I'd be shocked if he's read to play by Saturday if that video represents reality.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.