News Article: Is Alabama for real, or just another eye test for CFP committee?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Interesting Article.... Click here

Alabama fans -- most but not all -- are so hypnotized by Tua Tagovailoa and his video game scoring they can't see how LSU matches up. Just show up, win big, and move on to January and the College Football Playoff.
[LSU has played a schedule that's vastly superior than Alabama's. It's a resume few teams can match and one that is likely going to convince the 13-member College Football Playoff Committee, which will release its first poll Tuesday night, to add the Tigers to their First Four of Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame.
LSU has played five Power 5 opponents that carried a top 25 ranking at the time they played. They have a combined 26-10 record.

--Miami (5-2) was No. 8 when the Tigers won 33-17.
--Auburn (5-3) was No. 7 when the Tigers won 22-21.
--Florida (6-1) was No. 9 when the Tigers lost 27-19.
--Georgia (6-1) was No. 2 when the Tigers won 36-19.
--Mississippi State (4-3) was No. 22 when the Tigers won 19-3.
What does Alabama have to offer? Maybe a season signature win over the Tigers, a win that'll do wonders to the resume with now unranked Mississippi State and Auburn remaining along with The Citadel.
A loss and your SEC Championship Game and playoff fate rests with LSU needing to lose again. The Tigers would hold the one-loss tie-breaker if the teams win out.
For someone who works for al.com, he sure sounds like he rather LSU to win out than Alabama....

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Please come back after we light up LSU and your question will be answered. Bama is for real and have been for 10 straight yrs.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If the winner of the LSU vs Alabama wins out they are in. The loser is eliminated in my opinion.
If Bama loses to LSU and wins out. LSU goes on and wins out (winning the SEC title). We would need some things to shake our way but I could see us getting into the 4 team playoff again without winning the SEC. We definitely need Notre Dame to lose and preferable to a team ranked outside the top 15.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Interesting Article.... Click here

For someone who works for al.com, he sure sounds like he rather LSU to win out than Alabama....
Well, if they use the same logic they use when Bama has played teams ranked at the time they've played them then go on to get worse as the year goes on. Then LSU's schedule isn't as daunting. Anyone remember when we beat then ranked #3 FSU in the first game of the season, QB got injured, they sucked the rest of the year and all people wanted to talk about was "Now we see that Florida St team Bama played in the first game was a fraud".

Florida and Georgia are the only two teams still ranked in that list of LSU's "best" wins. Okay, so they've beaten two ranked teams.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Maybe I'm over confident but I just don't see how this LSU team can beat us. They just don't match up well. They would need to keep it a low scoring game to win because we don't have an Oklahoma defense we have a real one. Plus they aren't a huge threat on offense, their QB, WRs, OL, and RBs, are all kinda meh this year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Maybe I'm over confident but I just don't see how this LSU team can beat us. They just don't match up well. They would need to keep it a low scoring game to win because we don't have an Oklahoma defense we have a real one. Plus they aren't a huge threat on offense, their QB, WRs, OL, and RBs, are all kinda meh this year.
I go back to my thoughts in another thread about this game. LSU was able to physically manhandle UGA's defensive front and run the ball at will. That's how a team can shrink the game, slow it down and keep the score low. If LSU can't run the ball they are done. If they are able to run the ball against our D-front then this game could "get real" very, very quick.

If they are unable to run the ball it's only a matter of time before their defense wears down. No way they can withstand the number of offensive strikes our offense will get if their offense is unable to run the ball.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Bama loses to LSU and wins out. LSU goes on and wins out (winning the SEC title). We would need some things to shake our way but I could see us getting into the 4 team playoff again without winning the SEC. We definitely need Notre Dame to lose and preferable to a team ranked outside the top 15.
While this could happen, somehow I don't feel the playoff committee is anxious to put in two SEC teams again this year. I believe UM will beat tOSU and win the B1G with a lone loss to ND. It looks like USCw is the only team left who could derail ND, but they have not shown anything this year. Clemson has no challenge left. So, as I see it today, Clemson, UM, ND and either Alabama, LSU or UGA would be in. Assuming we lose to LSU and LSU beats UGA then I think they are in. If UGA beats LSU, then I think they are in. I am not implying this is the only scenario, but I believe a one loss SEC non champion is unlikely to get in assuming Clemson, Michigan and Notre Dame win out.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i think Im in the group of Joel Klatt in believing Clemson and OU are probably the biggest threats vs Alabama. Klatt was arguing with Bayless because Skip said "Michigan had the qb and defense to beat Bama" Klatt basically said unless you have a high octane offense then you dont have a real shot. I think unless Burrow has the game of his life then even Tua having an off day wont be enough.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I go back to my thoughts in another thread about this game. LSU was able to physically manhandle UGA's defensive front and run the ball at will. That's how a team can shrink the game, slow it down and keep the score low. If LSU can't run the ball they are done. If they are able to run the ball against our D-front then this game could "get real" very, very quick.

If they are unable to run the ball it's only a matter of time before their defense wears down. No way they can withstand the number of offensive strikes our offense will get if their offense is unable to run the ball.
Agree. It`s always important to be able to control an opponent`s run game, but particularly so against LSU this year. Definitely try to put the game on Burrow`s arm. If we can make it a battle of QB`s , I like our chances.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, if they use the same logic they use when Bama has played teams ranked at the time they've played them then go on to get worse as the year goes on. Then LSU's schedule isn't as daunting. Anyone remember when we beat then ranked #3 FSU in the first game of the season, QB got injured, they sucked the rest of the year and all people wanted to talk about was "Now we see that Florida St team Bama played in the first game was a fraud".

Florida and Georgia are the only two teams still ranked in that list of LSU's "best" wins. Okay, so they've beaten two ranked teams.
So some of you that can remember better than me, were some of the teams we've already beaten ranked when we played them?

I love how they emphasized LSU had played 5 teams who were ranked WHEN THEY PLAYED THEM.

I know in past seasons this has been part of the dialoge about how "we don't play anybody." But, if my memory is correct, we have a tendency of not only beating teams the week we play them but those sames teams often lose the week afterward too because they are either beat up physically or emotionally.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So some of you that can remember better than me, were some of the teams we've already beaten ranked when we played them?

I love how they emphasized LSU had played 5 teams who were ranked WHEN THEY PLAYED THEM.

I know in past seasons this has been part of the dialoge about how "we don't play anybody." But, if my memory is correct, we have a tendency of not only beating teams the week we play them but those sames teams often lose the week afterward too because they are either beat up physically or emotionally.
Louisville was
A&M was

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Classic selective application of logic. This logic applies to us because it fits our narrative but you can’t use the same logic argument on them because it doesn’t fit the outcome they want.

BTW - they have actually only beaten 1 team that is currently in the top 25. They lost to Florida. Their record against teams currently in the top 25 is 1-1, ours is 1-0 (A&M is currently 16).

Actually in their loss to Florida they had an identical score to what they had in the MSU game, 19 points. 1 TD and 4 Field Goals. The only real difference is that they actually drove the ball 75 yards on their TD drive rather than scoring on a 3 yard drive after an INT. They were ineffective on 3rd down in both games (7/18 & 4/17) and had 112 more yards of offense against Florida vs MSU - 75 of which was on their first drive for a TD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
After winning 5 NC's in 9 years I'm amazed that some suggest that the only reason we're undefeated and ranked #1 is because we haven't played anybody. It was the same argument made during some of those years that we won. I think we'll beat LSU but if we lose I think there is only one way we can get into the playoff and that is if Ohio State beats Michigan. I think Bama could then get into the playoff because a 1 loss Alabama might be considered better than a 1 loss OSU because of OSU's embarrassing loss to Purdue. Saban could then make the same argument he made a year ago when OSU was blown out by Iowa.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Alabama’s schedule being this bad is pure luck. A couple of years ago when most of the major games were finalized, Louisville looked like a major player under Petrino, and Ole Miss looked to have top ten staying power under Freeze. Arkansas was Arkansas. LSU fans have complained about the pre season polls that had the Tigers low and Bama high, but those same polls were the reason Auburn, Miami and Miss St were thought of as good teams early on. As the schedule rolls on, those teams will be devalued and Bama’s wins will be devalued over Auburn and State, but LSU will still get credit.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Someone mentioned it earlier but it is crazy how people are giving LSU credit for the Miami and Auburn wins but last year we got zero credit for beating #3 (at the time) Florida State.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Remember the picture of Tua's series play sheet that is almost totally yellow representing TD drives?

Let's give it to LSU that they'll be the best defense we'll probably see in the regular season. Let's say they slow Tua and our offensive machine down better than anybody else has this year.

What if they cut our point production down by 1/3 (based on our average of 54 points a game)? We still score score 36 points. What if they cut it by 50%? We still score 27.

Is LSU's offense good enough to score 27 points on us when they could only score 19 on MSU with the help of 5 turn overs???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.