Move to Florida complete .... sort of

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I was finally able to escape the traffic congestion, high cost of living, and high taxes and exchange that for easy commutes, a much lower cost of living, and no state income tax. I still have most of my possession (including all my books) in storage back in Northern Virginia. Also, my wife has to finish up some professional obligations before she can transfer down, so I'm in charge for a few months. :)

We have an apartment in Ponte Vedra Beach at the moment. Once we're comfortable with the reconnaissance of the area we'll look at getting a house again. So far, so good. Goodbye, three-hour daily commute. Hello, walk along the beach. In fact, I think I'll go there now. :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I was finally able to escape the traffic congestion, high cost of living, and high taxes and exchange that for easy commutes, a much lower cost of living, and no state income tax. I still have most of my possession (including all my books) in storage back in Northern Virginia. Also, my wife has to finish up some professional obligations before she can transfer down, so I'm in charge for a few months. :)

We have an apartment in Ponte Vedra Beach at the moment. Once we're comfortable with the reconnaissance of the area we'll look at getting a house again. So far, so good. Goodbye, three-hour daily commute. Hello, walk along the beach. In fact, I think I'll go there now. :)
Congrats and welcome!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the reduction of commute will be huge. a few years back we changed ours from 1+ hour each way to 5 minutes each way. it took us a while to figure out what to do with the extra time

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Wrong coast. But welcome! For my money, it’s hard to beat southern coastal living.

How is the atmosphere in the Jacksonville area this weekend? I imagine it’s pretty “festive”.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

If you get any closer to Alabama I may have to move. :biggrin: Ponte Vedra is Jacksonville?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My wife and I have considered moving to either the South Walton beach area or coastal SC (where she is from). We spent some time at Pawleys Island, SC this past summer looking at condos, while golfing etc. we were getting a little more serious in our discussions when Florence and Michael ravaged both coasts.

While I have always enjoyed the beach, the reality is the cost of living, the ever present tourists and likelihood of hurricanes has, at least temporarily, put a hold on any plans. Any thoughts to the contrary?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
the reduction of commute will be huge. a few years back we changed ours from 1+ hour each way to 5 minutes each way. it took us a while to figure out what to do with the extra time
Yeah, no kidding. Sitting in traffic every day for a decade ..... I don't recommend it. Here I still have a bit of a drive, but it's against traffic and I'm cruising down AIA. I have no complaint having a view of the ocean to and from work. Plus the office is shut down every other Monday, so a built is long weekend is nice. And I can spend an hour a day at the gym as part of my time on the clock.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
My wife and I have considered moving to either the South Walton beach area or coastal SC (where she is from). We spent some time at Pawleys Island, SC this past summer looking at condos, while golfing etc. we were getting a little more serious in our discussions when Florence and Michael ravaged both coasts.

While I have always enjoyed the beach, the reality is the cost of living, the ever present tourists and likelihood of hurricanes has, at least temporarily, put a hold on any plans. Any thoughts to the contrary?
Ponte Vedra Beach is supposed to be very expensive, but it's relative. Compared with Northern Virginia, it's much less expensive. Not a fan of tourists either, so we'll see how that goes. Regarding hurricanes, when it comes time to buy a house we may not go with something directly on the beach. Maybe on a river instead. TBD.

A big reason for this particular choice on locations are the schools. St. Johns County reportedly has the top school system in the state, so Lily is going to public school after being in a private school since pre-k. Besides the tuition savings, because the school is so comparatively large (1200 students for grades 6 through 8 as opposed to 480 students for grades pre-k through 8), it can offer a lot more electives. She's been placed in advanced level for every class, including three STEM classes. If we stay here another couple of years, Lily will go to Ponte Vedra HS, which was only built 10 years ago and is a top 20 school in the state and has an interesting biotechnology program. All in all, there's a lot to like here, but I'm judging from the briefest of experiences.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I’ll put in a couple of pennies on the cost-of-living, tourist, and hurricane issues.

COL is a little higher along southern coasts than it is inland in the south. But as Bodhi said, it’s much lower than it is in many other parts of the country, and generally closer to “heartland” COL than it is to more populated areas of the northeast or west coast. And as someone else mentioned, Florida’s lack of a state income tax is nice.

Tourists suck, no doubt. But they’re not all bad.

Side rant: The worst part about living with tourists is when those (in the minority) come into the communities in which we live and treat it like their personal party zone and waste basket. If I could get paid for all the trash that I’ve personally picked up off the beach left by out-of-towners, I’d be a millionaire. Please folks, enjoy the beautiful beaches. But be courteous to its full-time residents. And for goodness sake, leave it the way you found it. We don’t want your trash strewn all over it. Rant over.

The thing about tourism and the beaches is that people are generally only familiar with the communities that they’ve vacationed at, ie tourist meccas. The Destins and Panama Cities and Orange Beaches and Gulf Shores come to mind. Personally, you couldn’t pay me to live in one of those places (though OB isn’t half bad). But for every place like that, there are 5 or 10 quieter more family-oriented little beach communities that the rest of the world simply doesn’t know about. Unfortunately, at least 3 or 4 of those places won’t be the same for a long long time. Mexico Beach, Port St Joe, Apalachicola were all wonderful little places until a few weeks ago. I’ve been sort of hoping to vacay at Dog Island at some point, but looks like many (most?) structures there are significantly damaged. Which brings us to...

Hurricanes. True, the risk is unavoidable if you want to live along the Gulf or mid-southern Atlantic coasts. It all comes down to how much risk you’re willing to accept, and how much home insurance you’re willing to pay for. Since Michael, my wife and I have been back and forth numerous times to the affected region to try to help. And in the course of that, I’ve talked to so many people whose homes or businesses were destroyed, and whom had no insurance whatsoever. I just don’t understand living in a place that has that sort of risk, but choosing not to have a safety net.

Anyway, the good thing about where Bodhi went, as opposed to almost any other coastal location along the Gulf and mid-southern Atlantic coasts, is that the Jacksonville to Savannah area sees far fewer hurricane landfalls than just about any other location. It’s a function of the concave shape of the coastline. Most storms either hit farther south in Florida, or farther north in the Carolinas. Still, it’ll happen eventually, just much less often.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Hurricanes. True, the risk is unavoidable if you want to live along the Gulf or mid-southern Atlantic coasts. It all comes down to how much risk you’re willing to accept, and how much home insurance you’re willing to pay for. Since Michael, my wife and I have been back and forth numerous times to the affected region to try to help. And in the course of that, I’ve talked to so many people whose homes or businesses were destroyed, and whom had no insurance whatsoever. I just don’t understand living in a place that has that sort of risk, but choosing not to have a safety net.

Anyway, the good thing about where Bodhi went, as opposed to almost any other coastal location along the Gulf and mid-southern Atlantic coasts, is that the Jacksonville to Savannah area sees far fewer hurricane landfalls than just about any other location. It’s a function of the concave shape of the coastline. Most storms either hit farther south in Florida, or farther north in the Carolinas. Still, it’ll happen eventually, just much less often.
I can speak to my neighbors in Gulf County. Many of them are too poor to afford insurance.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’m seriously thinking about moving to Florida after I finish up school. All my family is here in Alabama, though. It would be hard to move away from them.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
92tide, since I know how much you enjoy UGA fans, this one's for you, buddy.

I just got back from spending the day with Lily at the Jax Zoo. It wasn't crowded, but there was a noticeable amount of Dawg fans lingering after the game yesterday. We were in the African section looking at the rare okapi, when a family clad in red and black approaches. The Mom says to her young daughter, "Look at the donkey! I love donkeys!" Lily and I both look at the Mom and then each other.

After we walked away, Lily had so many comments and questions:

It's not a donkey.
Doesn't look anything like a donkey.
The sign reads "Okapi."
Why would a donkey be in a zoo exhibit?
And in the African section?

All I could say was the truth, "She's just stupid, baby. Just stupid."

Sigh. And she's a breeder.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Bodhi, I can recommend a good restaurant in your new area. Safe Harbor Seafood in Jacksonville Beach. It's on the intracoastal waterway. Good food and not touristy priced.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.