Game Thread: Clemson vs Florida State (Fighting Dabos Vs Bowden Legacy)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Purdue in the Big Ten has a lower ceiling than Louisville in the ACC and you can't underrate the "Momma Called" factor. I think recruiting in Indiana and Ohio is a critical factor for Louisville so his reputation from his Purdue tenure will be valuable with recruits too.
Agree that he could go to Louisville because that is home, but that is not a step up from Purdue - it would be a lateral move, but to a school that would fire him for a few losing seasons because Louisville has delusions of grandeur.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Can't underrate the fact that Louisville AD has had so much bad press due to Pitino, Jurich, and "Papa" John that they aren't gonna hometown discount Brohm either. They need the PR win of a conquering hero homecoming and will pay to get it if they terminate Petrino.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Depends on what you want in life. He could coach at Purdue for the rest of his life and be well respected across the state. For most people, that is enough. Schiano had that at Rutgers and RichRod had that in West Virginia. Both threw it away. I bet that both would gladly give back all that money for what they had at those schools.
I agree and I was assuming following the money trail which most do. I wonder if the Minnesota HC wishes he was still an icon at N Illinois.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing about this is that Clemson gave them every opportunity in the first quarter to create some adversity but Florida State is just flat out awful. Undisciplined errors, penalties, mentally shook to the point that their center can't get a snap off.

Gotta wonder if Jimbo realized that the culture there was going to the dumpster and that is why he was doing the Sexton special for yearly pay raises...he was genuinely looking for the golden parachute out of there. That'd be two major Florida programs who chased off elite coaches mainly because the mostly Florida recruits flopped or never gelled on campus.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Or you could say Taggart's gravity- and logic-defying ascent has lead-ballooned FSU into confronting the possibility of a one-and-done that finally aligns his coaching acumen with reality. How can they not? Of course, UCLA can't wait to give "Tagunmet HC" (for the "gut" reactions earlier in this thread) another promotion, as Chipper has his own flameout record to uphold...

The thing about this is that Clemson gave them every opportunity in the first quarter to create some adversity but Florida State is just flat out awful. Undisciplined errors, penalties, mentally shook to the point that their center can't get a snap off.

Gotta wonder if Jimbo realized that the culture there was going to the dumpster and that is why he was doing the Sexton special for yearly pay raises...he was genuinely looking for the golden parachute out of there. That'd be two major Florida programs who chased off elite coaches mainly because the mostly Florida recruits flopped or never gelled on campus.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I think Jimbo created the culture as it is now. I think he knew it and either thought he could do it differently at A&M or just chased the huge money. He'll either learn from his mistakes, or A&M will be an undisciplined program with off the field issues before long. Either way, he is a rich man, at least financially.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Taggert is not a very good head coach and his team is terrible. The next HC at FSU will inherit a program along the lines of FAU or FIU.
Yeah, I just continue to wonder why this guy gets so much credit for being great. I kept hearing he was going to be one of the next great ones, but I never saw any evidence to support that argument. It seems to happen a lot these days where reputation and image (Both of these probably created by him or his agent) mean more than actual success.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
N.b., no blue font: Pinnacle of Tagunmet HC's career was losing 35-0 in a quasi-marginally-competitive early game to 'Bama when he had 3-4 NFL prospects on the roster at Western Kentucky. Otherwise he's certifiably lighter in accomplishment than helium gravy for his inexplicable ascent...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.