1995 Nebraska, 2001 Miami, 2018 Alabama - Who's the Greatest??

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What does future success have to do with what happened in the past? All those future NFL players on Miami's team shows they were talented but that doesn't change the results on the field in 2001 and the fact they struggled against Boston College winning by only 11 points, and barely beat #14 Virginia Tech by 2 points, 26-24.

That's like proclaiming some little league team that had Bryce Harper on it was the greatest of all-time. What did they do on the field at that time? What happens in the future doesn't change one result of that season. It just shows how much talent they had not what they accomplished.

Miami 2001 wasn't even rated the best team of the past 20 years.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-football-national-champions-20-years-ranked
Obviously not knocking you here but....this is exactly what's wrong with this argument.

Now for starters.....in 2004, ESPN (for their 25th anniversary) did a "best of" and ranked the top 20 World Series of all-time. Those dweebs actually picked the indisputable champion - 1991 Atlanta vs Minnesota - FIFTH. Let me repeat - FIFTH. So I don't give ESPN a helluva lot of brains when it comes to ranking things.

I could have tolerated 2001 being first because of the circumstance and the walk offs.

But anyone (iow - ESPN) who THINKS the 1986 World Series AS A SERIES was better than 1991......is someone I wouldn't trust to pack my parachute. There weren't 2 World Series' better than 1991, let alone four. But you see, 1986 had Boston and New York and.....obviously in the limited worldview of ESPN, it was therefore better. (It was amusing that all four series ranked ahead of the only worst-to-first series ever, the only series where both games 6 and 7 went extras, the only series where FIVE games were won in the winner's last at bat - all FOUR series ahead of them....oh yeah, involved either Boston or New York teams).

Hmmmmm.......

1991 was the greatest World Series ever played and anyone who holds any other opinion of that is, quite simply, wrong. (And my team LOST, so it's not like it's endearing for me). There were other great WS - 1975, 2001, 1912 (where Gray Tide threw out the first pitch)......but not one of them was 1991.

Now turning my guns on 2005 Texas......

There's one reason and ONLY one reason 2005 Texas finishes there - BSPN ran a thing BEFORE the game proclaiming 2005 USC the greatest team ever if they won.....and then Texas beat the BSPN declared "greatest team ever." Quite frankly, it was like 1995 Nebraska, except Texas didn't blow out USC.

Now here's the problem. I don't watch a lot of Pac Ten ball, but I DID watch USC a BUNCH that year. A BUNCH. They trailed Arizona State, 21-3, at the half. They only beat Notre Dame because of an illegal play. If Fresno State didn't play an 11-0-0 defensive alignment, they'd have beaten USC themselves. The idea that 2005 USC was an all-time great team was tattooed on our brains, but they weren't. They'd lost a lot off defense from the previous year, which WAS a great team.

USC great.....Texas beats USC......therefore......Texas great

Here's the problem.......go look at that powerhouse of a schedule they played. The Northern champion had a record of 7-6. The next closest team in the Big 12 had THREE losses. (This is part of the problem - in my view - with the 2016 Tide. The next best SEC team had four losses. I mean, come on). They got a truckload of credit for beating Ohio State. By 3 points.

I realize there's a level of opinion that goes into it all, but I wouldn't consider 2005 Texas to be one of the five best teams I've ever seen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Obviously not knocking you here but....this is exactly what's wrong with this argument.

Now for starters.....in 2004, ESPN (for their 25th anniversary) did a "best of" and ranked the top 20 World Series of all-time. Those dweebs actually picked the indisputable champion - 1991 Atlanta vs Minnesota - FIFTH. Let me repeat - FIFTH. So I don't give ESPN a helluva lot of brains when it comes to ranking things.

I could have tolerated 2001 being first because of the circumstance and the walk offs.

But anyone (iow - ESPN) who THINKS the 1986 World Series AS A SERIES was better than 1991......is someone I wouldn't trust to pack my parachute. There weren't 2 World Series' better than 1991, let alone four. But you see, 1986 had Boston and New York and.....obviously in the limited worldview of ESPN, it was therefore better. (It was amusing that all four series ranked ahead of the only worst-to-first series ever, the only series where both games 6 and 7 went extras, the only series where FIVE games were won in the winner's last at bat - all FOUR series ahead of them....oh yeah, involved either Boston or New York teams).

Hmmmmm.......

1991 was the greatest World Series ever played and anyone who holds any other opinion of that is, quite simply, wrong. (And my team LOST, so it's not like it's endearing for me). There were other great WS - 1975, 2001, 1912 (where Gray Tide threw out the first pitch)......but not one of them was 1991.

Now turning my guns on 2005 Texas......

There's one reason and ONLY one reason 2005 Texas finishes there - BSPN ran a thing BEFORE the game proclaiming 2005 USC the greatest team ever if they won.....and then Texas beat the BSPN declared "greatest team ever." Quite frankly, it was like 1995 Nebraska, except Texas didn't blow out USC.

Now here's the problem. I don't watch a lot of Pac Ten ball, but I DID watch USC a BUNCH that year. A BUNCH. They trailed Arizona State, 21-3, at the half. They only beat Notre Dame because of an illegal play. If Fresno State didn't play an 11-0-0 defensive alignment, they'd have beaten USC themselves. The idea that 2005 USC was an all-time great team was tattooed on our brains, but they weren't. They'd lost a lot off defense from the previous year, which WAS a great team.

USC great.....Texas beats USC......therefore......Texas great

Here's the problem.......go look at that powerhouse of a schedule they played. The Northern champion had a record of 7-6. The next closest team in the Big 12 had THREE losses. (This is part of the problem - in my view - with the 2016 Tide. The next best SEC team had four losses. I mean, come on). They got a truckload of credit for beating Ohio State. By 3 points.

I realize there's a level of opinion that goes into it all, but I wouldn't consider 2005 Texas to be one of the five best teams I've ever seen.
Yeah I would say 91, 01, 14,16, and 17 are probably the best WS in my lifetime, but good gracious 91 was the most tense and heartbreaking out of all of them. 91 is the GOAT of World Series.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
2001 Miami played a relatively weak schedule but they destroyed everyone and were loaded with more NFL studs than probably any team ever. I have no problem acknowledging that's probably the best college football team ever.

As far as 2018 Alabama, let's wait until the team runs the table before we start debating "greatest ever" shall we? They clearly have the potential but you need to finish to make those claims.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Comparing teams from different times is silly to me. They are from a time when the game was way different and so were players. truth be told any good modern team would kill the best from 20 yrs ago. Players are bigger faster and better trained and coached now than in the past. Our 92 defense would fail against good modern teams, they just were not as fast and as big or nearly as well trained and coached. A Bama coach who played in the 80's said our current linemen are as fast as the safeties from his day and are 100 pounds to 150 lbs bigger. Imagine any of our gret secondary from 92 could cover Julio or Amari or our current WR's? Not a chance.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Comparing teams from different times is silly to me. They are from a time when the game was way different and so were players. truth be told any good modern team would kill the best from 20 yrs ago. Players are bigger faster and better trained and coached now than in the past. Our 92 defense would fail against good modern teams, they just were not as fast and as big or nearly as well trained and coached. A Bama coach who played in the 80's said our current linemen are as fast as the safeties from his day and are 100 pounds to 150 lbs bigger. Imagine any of our gret secondary from 92 could cover Julio or Amari or our current WR's? Not a chance.
I mean, this is obviously true but that's not what people are usually talking about when they judge all time great teams. They're discussing how dominant they were within their era, within their context.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
2001 Miami played a relatively weak schedule but they destroyed everyone and were loaded with more NFL studs than probably any team ever. I have no problem acknowledging that's probably the best college football team ever.

As far as 2018 Alabama, let's wait until the team runs the table before we start debating "greatest ever" shall we? They clearly have the potential but you need to finish to make those claims.
I wouldn't call beating Boston College by 11 and #14 Virginia Tech by two points destroying everyone. Heck, Pitt scored 21 points on Miami.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I mean, this is obviously true but that's not what people are usually talking about when they judge all time great teams. They're discussing how dominant they were within their era, within their context.
OKAY, in that scenario this 10 yr run is by far the best ever bar none.No team has had a run this long and this good. 5 titles in 9 yrs and so close in the off years.Hard to show, wait, impossible to show a teamin the last 50 yrs that has had this kind of success.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It’s safe to say this is the greatest 10-year run in CFB history.

2018 is the greatest team in history? Way too early to say. Without question, one of the greatest 8-game starts ever.

But to even be in the conversation for the greatest team of all time, we’re just over halfway through a 15-game season, and there’s no denying our schedule is back-loaded.

Let’s ease up on the discussion of GOATs, and concentrate on what’s in front of us.

Yes, I’ve been processed.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
OKAY, in that scenario this 10 yr run is by far the best ever bar none.No team has had a run this long and this good. 5 titles in 9 yrs and so close in the off years.Hard to show, wait, impossible to show a teamin the last 50 yrs that has had this kind of success.
Without question this Bama run is the greatest in college football history. Nothing else is even close...

But the question was greatest team ever. I think most agree the 2018 team has a chance to be in that conversation which is the point of the thread.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.