Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disaster - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Re: Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disast

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    FYI, the Smithsonian Channel has a very good series called Air Disasters where they take a crash or serious incident and show the investigation into determining the cause.
    Love that show.!

Re: Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disast

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I can't imagine why.

When I was returning home from Egypt, the UN wanted me to fly Moroccan Air (cheapest ticket), and was surprised when I declined that ticket in favor of a more reputable airline.
    I took a flight to Bangkok one time on a 2nd tier indian airline to save $$$ (I was 19) I can't even recall the name of that one but do recall that the chicken tandori I was served wasn't terrible for airline food. But yeah I'd have noped out of Moroccan Air too
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

I can't imagine why.

When I was returning home from Egypt, the UN wanted me to fly Moroccan Air (cheapest ticket), and was surprised when I declined that ticket in favor of a more reputable airline.
    This is more about a scary trip than a scary flight. For several years, my daughter was living in Stuttgart and working two weeks out of every month in Abu Dhabi, and, as a result, had umpteen miles built up on Emirates. Her company lost the contract and she could see her use of the miles coming to the end, so she booked a flight to Katmandu as a lark. It was more a nightmare. She is small, blond and attractive. There were several incidents where men tried to hook up and get her to accompany them. The hotel was rated as a four star but was bizarre in a number of ways. She later said that her first thought on touching back down in Germany was "What have I done?" Some corners of the world, particularly the 3rd one, are still not safe - and their airlines aren't either...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    This is more about a scary trip than a scary flight. For several years, my daughter was living in Stuttgart and working two weeks out of every month in Abu Dhabi, and, as a result, had umpteen miles built up on Emirates. Her company lost the contract and she could see her use of the miles coming to the end, so she booked a flight to Katmandu as a lark. It was more a nightmare. She is small, blond and attractive. There were several incidents where men tried to hook up and get her to accompany them. The hotel was rated as a four star but was bizarre in a number of ways. She later said that her first thought on touching back down in Germany was "What have I done?" Some corners of the world, particularly the 3rd one, are still not safe - and their airlines aren't either...
    Yeah, but it was a good deal, right?

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Supercooled is the word you are looking for. If you've ever encountered freezing rain, you've encountered supercooled water. And this is an extremely common problem in aviation. "Icing conditions." If you fly through or around thunderstorms like the Air France flight did, you will encounter supercooled water.

Aircraft equipment is often designed with minimization of icing in mind. For pitot tubes, this means designs that minimize water ingress or have some sort of heating mechanism, for example.

There was an issue with the pitot tubes used on the Air France A330 fleet at the time of the accident. This Airworthiness Directive, dictating replacement of the particular model of pitot tube involved in the Air France crash, was issued after the accident.
    Arizona State is developing a wing skin that dispenses antifreeze like the glands of a poison dart frog

When the outer layer fails, for example because of condensate or frost accumulation, the inner layer releases antifreeze to prevent ice sheet formation. As a result, the bi-layer "skin" can delay freezing rain accumulation 60 times longer than a superhydrophobic coating alone.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    TKS systems (weeping wings) are used on some smaller aircraft, including the C208, to provide de/anti-ice protection on the leading edges of the wings.

The wing skin system studied at Arizona State is interesting. Looks like it would be a cost and maintenance nightmare for big jets.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    TKS systems (weeping wings) are used on some smaller aircraft, including the C208, to provide de/anti-ice protection on the leading edges of the wings.

The wing skin system studied at Arizona State is interesting. Looks like it would be a cost and maintenance nightmare for big jets.
    TKS systems buy you time and that’s it. Best to avoid icing conditions when possible. The big problem with them: 1. Weight cuts into useful load. 2. If you don’t respect the limitations you are asking for trouble.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Yeah, but it was a good deal, right?
    Cost-wise, of course. The miles would have been wasted. She sent pix of the hotel. Somewhere along the way, they had remodeled and relocated the floors. A window with an arched trimmed top protruded up into her room from the room below. And it was a four star hotel, although a pretty cheap one, as compared worldwide...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis