Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disaster - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Re: Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disast

Boeing stock is going to take it in the chin in a few hours: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47519929
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disast

Boeing deserves a pummeling, as does the FAA. A streamlined process for approval of the few modifications of an existing model makes sense. Failing to train pilots of the differences because in normal flight it "feels" the same as the old version but can behave wildly differently is willful action that has caused the deaths of over 300. I'm so glad Boeing bought ForeFlight (the GA folks know what I mean).
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Seems like an understatement. Ethiopian Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance alongside Lufthansa and United, and they haven't had a crash in over 9 years. And then this:

LINK
    Hmmm... I read Boeing specifically sent out an emergency notification to customers after the first crash requesting they retrain the pilots on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Hmmm... I read Boeing specifically sent out an emergency notification to customers after the first crash requesting they retrain the pilots on the system.
    Too little, too late.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

FYI, from CA's link:

Several North American airlines also operate the aircraft and have said they are monitoring the investigation [rather than grounding the planes as some Asian airlines have done].

Southwest Airlines flies 34 of the aircraft and said it had been in contact with Boeing and was operating as normal. American Airlines and Air Canada each have 24 in their fleet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    It's probably way worse for Boeing if the pilots were trained in how to overcome the system but were unable to do so in time. From this twitter thread, it looks like the plane was only a few hundred feet above the ground when things started to go wrong.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

If I had an upcoming fight, I'd call the airline and ask if my flight was on this same plane. If so, I'd ask for a different flight or cancel. No way will I ever step foot on a 737 Max 8. Getting somewhere fast is not worth rolling the dice on my life.

Boeing executives should be charged with 300 counts of manslaughter. Saving a few $$ is worth a life, they need to pay with jail time IMO. Someone at the FAA as well, whoever agreed with Boeing that retraining wasn't needed.

Also, from the quote above, if a plane crashes from Southwest, AA or Air Canada because they chose not to ground the planes, then someone should go to jail from those companies as well. I'm sick of rich executives playing with peoples lives just to increase their bonus.

That's my knee jerk reaction. IMO, it is ridiculous that SW, AA and Air Canada are not grounding these planes. FAA needs to step in and ground them anyway. (assuming they can?)
    Last edited by CrimsonNagus; March 11th, 2019 at 10:04 AM.

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

The cynical investor in me is looking to see Boeing stock get to $325, and put in a hard buy.

They are too involved in space, military, govt contracts and they aren't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    The cynical investor in me is looking to see Boeing stock get to $325, and put in a hard buy.

They are too involved in space, military, govt contracts and they aren't going anywhere.
    Aye - it's no different than Nike last year - wait for the drop and get it before it climbs again. Boeing stock is almost a certain guarantee.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    It's probably way worse for Boeing if the pilots were trained in how to overcome the system but were unable to do so in time. From this twitter thread, it looks like the plane was only a few hundred feet above the ground when things started to go wrong.
    My money is not on untrained pilots. My money is on faulty sensors. Every time the pilots try to pull out of the dive, the sensors send them back into it. I can't imagine the terror of the pilots when the planes overrule them...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    My money is not on untrained pilots. My money is on faulty sensors. Every time the pilots try to pull out of the dive, the sensors send them back into it. I can't imagine the terror of the pilots when the planes overrule them...
    The alternative would be to have the plane plant you in the ground...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The alternative would be to have the plane plant you in the ground...
    Looks like it did just that. They need to be grounded until the issues are worked out.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!