Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disaster - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Re: Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disast

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Lord, Boeing better be glad for the limitation on liability on international flights and glad it didn't happen in the US. I said above that one prime sensor vendor no-bid the Dreamliner because of corner-cutting. I'd forgotten, but another friend/client, now retired from Boeing, who got pulled into commuting from HSV to Seattle to finish the Dreamliner confirmed the chaos at the end. He walked into, I think, the Hilton, to be greeted by a chorus of employees serenading him for being the worldwide point winner for Hilton Honors points...

This is what irks me about politicians who complain about regulations...pollution, air safety, traffic safety, etc. Sure, regulations add to costs. But they are there for a reason.

Re: Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disast

this is not going well for boeing

Boeing 737 Max 8 pilots complained to feds for months about suspected safety flaw

Pilots repeatedly voiced safety concerns about the Boeing 737 Max 8 to federal authorities, with one captain calling the flight manual "inadequate and almost criminally insufficient" several months before Sunday's Ethiopian Air crash that killed 157 people, an investigation by The Dallas Morning News found.
    The News found at least five complaints about the Boeing model in a federal database where pilots can voluntarily report about aviation incidents without fear of repercussions.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1105546135555489799

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1105546135555489799

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

R. Maddow had an depth look at the situation. She reported the fix is already underway, with a deadline of the end of April as a finish date. She specifically cited the recent government shutdown with a five week delay in gettting the work done. There was more in the report, it’s worth looking up and watching.

President Ignoramus has spoken - planes have become too complicated and pilots are no longer needed. Surely I misheard this...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; March 12th, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Why would the Dallas News think I would pay them to read?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

President Ignoramus has spoken - planes have become too complicated and pilots are no longer needed. Surely I misheard this...

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....94.3K7:00 AM - Mar 12, 2019Twitter Ads info and privacy54.7K people are talking about thisDonald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump ....needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I dont know about you, but I dont want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!69.6K7:12 AM - Mar 12, 2019Twitter Ads info and privacy38.3K people are talking about thisI'm sure this has something to do with the crash of t

He's still ignorant.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    R. Maddow had an depth look at the situation. She reported the fix is already underway, with a deadline of the end of April as a finish date. She specifically cited the recent government shutdown with a five week delay in gettting the work done. There was more in the report, it’s worth looking up and watching.
    To be clear, it's the WSJ that's reporting Boeing software fix (which adds redundancy by turning on the other sensors) was originally scheduled to be rolled out in January, but was delayed until April because of the shutdown. But hey, gubment is bad and stuff, right?

Last edited by CharminTide; March 13th, 2019 at 05:03 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Of course it's bribery. The rest of the modern world has banned this aircraft but we have not. These decisions always seem to come down to how the president benefits personally. What's a few hundred lives weighed against a few million dollars in Trump's bank account, Bazza?

I'll also note that Trump has never bothered to nominate anyone to head the FAA. We've had an "acting director" since the end of Obama's term.

Id be surprised if the FAA makes it through the day without temporarily grounding the Max 8. Not sure if the 9 is involved also. There is definitely a mismatch somewhere between aircraft performance and pilot training.

Why would the Dallas News think I would pay them to read?
    that's strange, i was able to access the article a couple of times without it asking for anything. it was saying that there have been several u.s. pilot complaints about the plane in the past year or so.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that's strange, i was able to access the article a couple of times without it asking for anything. it was saying that there have been several u.s. pilot complaints about the plane in the past year or so.
    I hit a paywall as well.

The FAA has a program to encourage pilots to report safety issues. Since the FAA's reputation is that of ruthless overlord the reporting program is administered by NASA and (with caveats) reporting issues through the program give pilots immunity against inadvertent violations of FAA rules (again, to encourage reporting safety issues so they can be addressed).

IOW, those reports are likely to contain some valuable information and insight. The reports have to be made within 10 days of any incident so no one is waiting until just now to say something.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    I hit a paywall as well.

The FAA has a program to encourage pilots to report safety issues. Since the FAA's reputation is that of ruthless overlord the reporting program is administered by NASA and (with caveats) reporting issues through the program give pilots immunity against inadvertent violations of FAA rules (again, to encourage reporting safety issues so they can be addressed).

IOW, those reports are likely to contain some valuable information and insight. The reports have to be made within 10 days of any incident so no one is waiting until just now to say something.
    The second time, the popup referenced my ad blocker. I keep Opera handy with no blocker, just for truculent sites like that, so I opened it there...