Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disaster (Oct 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When you have a crappy system and know it or should have known it then it is essential. Something that has that much control over the aircraft should never rely on a single sensor. In GA that's common. Not so in commercial.
True. I wonder how much Boeing was charging for that extra sensor, along with the software to indicate when they disagree on AOA...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
True. I wonder how much Boeing was charging for that extra sensor, along with the software to indicate when they disagree on AOA...
I thought one of the articles linked said the price, but not sure if it was all inclusive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/business/boeing-safety-features-charge.html

Both upgrades were related to the plane’s angle of attack sensors, devices that read whether a jet’s nose is pointing up or down relative to oncoming air. One upgrade, called the angle of attack indicator, displayed the sensors’ readings; the other upgrade is a light that is activated if the sensors interfere with each other. The disagree light alone cost $80,000, according to CBS; the jet’s list price is roughly $120 million.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was prepared to buy, if it tanked enough. It hasn't...
I think everyone with two brain cells knows that the DoD will continue to spend enough cash to ensure not only Boeing's survival, but it's continued success as an investment. It might drop a bit more over the next month or six, but by the end of the year it will likely bounce back - especially if rumors of war start up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think everyone with two brain cells knows that the DoD will continue to spend enough cash to ensure not only Boeing's survival, but it's continued success as an investment. It might drop a bit more over the next month or six, but by the end of the year it will likely bounce back - especially if rumors of war start up.
True. I wish a bit more bad news would come out and depress the price a bit further. If it does, I'll buy, for the reasons you cite...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/24/...hH-d5EvsA4ZGGySqwvrH6x5DMEUG2DjBosU5sIJQTPp9w

The WSJ says that the software updates will scale back the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) redesigning it “so it won’t overpower other cockpit commands or misfire based on faulty readings from a single sensor,” and will only activate once, for a short duration in the event that there is an issue. The FAA has “tentatively approved,” the update, but it needs to go through simulations and flight testing. If it works and is formally approved, the update could be issued in “the next few weeks.” The agency didn’t comment to the WSJ about the specifics of the changes. Furthermore, Boeing has said that it will include a warning light designed to warn pilots that was previously part of an optional package that carriers could purchase.
This should have been done right out of the gate.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
And the hits just keep on coming...

A Boeing 737 Max 8 declared an emergency landing after an engine problem

A Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft that was part of the fleet grounded after two deadly crashes made an emergency landing Tuesday as it was on its way to temporary storage.

No passengers were aboard Southwest Airlines Flight 8701, which was being ferried from Orlando International Airport to Victorville, California, for short-term storage, the airline said.

Just before 3 p.m., the two pilots aboard the flight reported "a performance issue with one of the engines shortly after takeoff," the airline said.

"The crew followed protocol and safely landed back at the airport."
Engine problems on top of the sensor problems? Keep in mind, the reason for all the structural changes is to accommodate larger, redesigned engines.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Boeing has said that it will include a warning light designed to warn pilots that was previously part of an optional package that carriers could purchase.
I've just never thought about planes having options like cars. I know the interiors can be configured differently depending on the use but, beyond that, I just never thought about it. The fact that some safety features are optional is really disturbing. It's like the Titanic all over again. Funny how humanity still hasn't learn it's lesson, safety shouldn't be optional.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I've just never thought about planes having options like cars. I know the interiors can be configured differently depending on the use but, beyond that, I just never thought about it. The fact that some safety features are optional is really disturbing. It's like the Titanic all over again. Funny how humanity still hasn't learn it's lesson, safety shouldn't be optional.
Not in a critical system that can override the pilot and crash the plane.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.