What if LSU just sits in zone coverage all game?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I will add that a lot of defenses will move around or shift late not so much to disguise presnap , as there are things an offense can do to help with that, but they do it so it’s to late in the snap count to change out of the called play. Sometimes the defense may look out of position, but that is by design. Like a safety moving down out of a two high look as the ball is being snapped. The QB knows the defense presnap but really can’t do anything other than call a timeout or run the play.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I will add that a lot of defenses will move around or shift late not so much to disguise presnap , as there are things an offense can do to help with that, but they do it so it’s to late in the snap count to change out of the called play. Sometimes the defense may look out of position, but that is by design. Like a safety moving down out of a two high look as the ball is being snapped. The QB knows the defense presnap but really can’t do anything other than call a timeout or run the play.
That's not entirely true. You can switch from man to zone at the last second if you see a formation that requires that change. You just have to be sure that every player in the secondary gets the call. You would usually make a change like that if the pre-snap motion produces a formation that you recognize, not to confuse a QB.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That's not entirely true. You can switch from man to zone at the last second if you see a formation that requires that change. You just have to be sure that every player in the secondary gets the call. You would usually make a change like that if the pre-snap motion produces a formation that you recognize, not to confuse a QB.
I was adding that moving and shifting wasn’t just for disguising a defense, never said the defense couldn’t change, or try to disguise the coverage. A lot of defenses react to offensive formation. I was adding, not contradicting.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I was wondering if LSU might decide to sit back in zone the majority of the game to take away any deep strikes that have been our hallmark this season. The Vikings did this to Drew Brees this past Sunday and he finished with only 120 yards passing, with his longest completion being 44 yards. Every other completion was under 20 yards. Saints still won by 10, but the Vikes were determined to not let Brees be the reason for the Saints to win.

So it got me wondering if LSU, or any other team with great athletes with a lot of defensive speed in the LBs and DBs, might employ the same tactic. Sit back, keep everything in front of them to make Tua throw short passes and hope he/we go on long drives instead of the quick strikes we have been used to this season. The "bend but don't break" philosophy in hopes we either make a mistake along the way, or get the ball inside the red zone where the field is constricted and bog down and settle for FGs.

I realize we all think Tua can pick a team apart if they don't pressure him, but he can do that even when pressured and team is playing Man coverage as well. I would like to hear from those with more knowledge of Xs and Os if teams have already tried this approach this year and if it made any difference. I missed the aTm and Missouri games due to camping trips, so saw no snaps from those games.:(
If they sit back and play 3 deep zone, quarters, and cover 2 the whole time, we will destroy them with our RPO packages, fast screens, bubble screens, and such. I actually expect more cover 1 and then they mix in some fire zone and then cat blitzes. They aren’t going to be able to let Tua sit and pick them apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
If they sit back and play 3 deep zone, quarters, and cover 2 the whole time, we will destroy them with our RPO packages, fast screens, bubble screens, and such. I actually expect more cover 1 and then they mix in some fire zone and then cat blitzes. They aren’t going to be able to let Tua sit and pick them apart.

Agree. I think they bring corner blitzes and Delpit. Especially in the first half with Devin White out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think I've heard Coach Saban say this:

"Yeah, we're going to mix up zone coverage and man to man coverage..."
"OH we are planning to use 6 to 7 DL to stay fresh and to attack Alabama front..>"
"Yeah, we're going to make Tua throw the ball. "
"We are going to win this game"
"I believe my secondary is one of the best in the country and we can go to war with them"

I get that he is trying to instill confidence in his team, but I'm not sure as a coach, I would've gave away little tidbits here and there.
Remember coach-speak. He may not have given anything away. It may be the opposite of his intentions. Despite looks and speech, he's not dumb...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Agree. I think they bring corner blitzes and Delpit. Especially in the first half with Devin White out.
If they do that, we will counter that with quick passes, or a zone run. You don't want to run corner blitzes too much. You tip your hand to when and where blitzes are coming from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
An interesting thought because they lose a ton of their secondary advantage in zone.
that's what I would try and do in first half. Throw few new wrinkles that will confuse them for a while. I believe LSU's best strength is their man to man coverage so of we take that away, they become an average team for a half.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I look for blitz after blitz after blitz. It's really their only hope and O knows it...

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I look for blitz after blitz after blitz. It's really their only hope and O knows it...
I think that's their best option, to try to get pressure on Tua and make him rush his throws or upset our momentum with a few sacks.

I think if they sit back in coverage and try to prevent us from hitting the deep ball, our RBs will have a big day and Tua will kill them with quick passes underneath and in the seams. "Bent don't break" would be disastrous against this offense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Haven't teams tried this all season though, to no success? If they do play zone, someone is always open. Just by sitting down in the middle of that zone. It's like dying by knife or hand gun.
Not the same if they don't have the same talent - and they have not.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Yep - he is going to have to roll the dice many times and hope to get lucky.
I wonder how much influence Saban will have in this game for the Offense game plan, or if he completely trusts Locksley and Enos. (it being a very important game). Doesn't he usually approve the offensive game plan anyway? I am sure LSU will try things on defense and offense not seen at all this year (like we probably will).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wonder how much influence Saban will have in this game for the Offense game plan, or if he completely trusts Locksley and Enos. (it being a very important game). Doesn't he usually approve the offensive game plan anyway? I am sure LSU will try things on defense and offense not seen at all this year (like we probably will).
He sits in on the meetings, so helps form the game plan. But he won't interfere once the game gets going unless he has to.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I trust Enos and Locksley more than any other offensive coaches in the Saban era. They've been amazing thus far. Having a QB of Tua's caliber helps of course. But the entire offense this year is elite.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.