What if LSU just sits in zone coverage all game?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
There best defense is to do like aubs. Hold every receiver and take the penalties. At least then it will take us a few plays to score. Zone leaves spots for WR's to get a bit of room and Tua is so accurate he gets completions. Play man to man one of the 5 guys gets open and Tua hits him for big yards or TD. best bet is to hold and hope refs let them get by with some of them. But then we start running and well they lose anyway. The fact is our Offense will score on anyone. All we need is D to make a few stops and we win out all year. I know our D is about to peak, they are getting better every week. And lets get real LSU cannot pass, and so we stuff the run and force their QB to toss some INT's. Game over, turn out the lights.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Irv Smith will have like a million yards receiving. Ok, not a million [emoji12] but he would have a big day. He would kill them in the middle of the field. No LB can cover him in space. He would find the hole in the zone and Tua would hit him strike after strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This reminds me of a press conference earlier this year with Steve Ensminger:

While Ensminger didn't give any indication about what his offense would be called, he did break down what he expects to run.
"I think we have to put three and four receivers on the field," Ensminger said. "I think we have to be an (run-pass option) team. I think we have to be a more fastball team. I think we have to go no huddle. That's the direction that we're going.
"There's reason to huddle and then get out the huddle and go fast again. That's a decision we have to make. I think we're talented at that position and we have to put the best talent on the field. And I think that will be three and four wideouts."
"Every formation we get in, every personnel we get in, I plan on being able throw the quick game. I plan on being able to do the RPOs. I plan on being able to throw the intermediate pass routes. To throw trick plays and everything else. It's a fine line... but you have to do it all out of that personnel."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There best defense is to do like aubs. Hold every receiver and take the penalties. At least then it will take us a few plays to score. Zone leaves spots for WR's to get a bit of room and Tua is so accurate he gets completions. Play man to man one of the 5 guys gets open and Tua hits him for big yards or TD. best bet is to hold and hope refs let them get by with some of them. But then we start running and well they lose anyway. The fact is our Offense will score on anyone. All we need is D to make a few stops and we win out all year. I know our D is about to peak, they are getting better every week. And lets get real LSU cannot pass, and so we stuff the run and force their QB to toss some INT's. Game over, turn out the lights.
I've anticipated this all along. I think first they will try to stay with us man to man. If they can't keep up, then it'll be grab and hold...

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Our receivers are going to get mugged. Irv should be open on a consistent basis. One of the "speed demons" will be able to shake loose at some point, but the good thing is how quickly Tua progresses through his reads. Backs might have a good day catching out of the back field. LSU fans are wildly confident on the msg boards. If we score early, it will get might somber in BR.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
That #86 ranked nationally total offense LSU sports had better pick up the pace Saturday night if they want to get the game into the 4rth quarter against Tua and Bama. ;)

LSU's defense is ranked 22nd in the nation in total defense this week, just ahead of Texas A&M's defense at #24. Bama's defense is ranked #16 nationally total defense. Most would say LSU has played a tougher schedule than Bama and that may be so, but the best offense either Bama or LSU has played so far this season is Ole Miss per statistics.

Ole Miss is ranked #5 in the nation total offense, Bama is ranked #2. That juggernaut LSU defense has faced #83 Miami's total offense, #82 Auburn's offense, #78 Florida's offense, #70 Miss. St., and #28 Georgia's offense.

All those stats of course mean nothing, just as all the crying about Bama's soft schedule means nothing come Saturday night we all know. But to think Bama will be intimidated by the night crowd in Baton Rouge just doesn't pan out if history is any indicator. Bama actually in my opinion plays better on the road than at home this season.

I may be wrong but I am more worried about next weeks game against Miss. State!! ;)

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
That #86 ranked nationally total offense LSU sports had better pick up the pace Saturday night if they want to get the game into the 4rth quarter against Tua and Bama. ;)

LSU's defense is ranked 22nd in the nation in total defense this week, just ahead of Texas A&M's defense at #24. Bama's defense is ranked #16 nationally total defense. Most would say LSU has played a tougher schedule than Bama and that may be so, but the best offense either Bama or LSU has played so far this season is Ole Miss per statistics.

Ole Miss is ranked #5 in the nation total offense, Bama is ranked #2. That juggernaut LSU defense has faced #83 Miami's total offense, #82 Auburn's offense, #78 Florida's offense, #70 Miss. St., and #28 Georgia's offense.

All those stats of course mean nothing, just as all the crying about Bama's soft schedule means nothing come Saturday night we all know. But to think Bama will be intimidated by the night crowd in Baton Rouge just doesn't pan out if history is any indicator. Bama actually in my opinion plays better on the road than at home this season.

I may be wrong but I am more worried about next weeks game against Miss. State!! ;)
Agreed. State coming on the heels of LSU will be difficult physically and mentally.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

True. "Death Valley" has traditionally been our "home away from home"... :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Les Miles makes LSU-Alabama game prediction

With Heisman Trophy front-runner Tua Tagovailoa and an offense that has cruised through its first games, Miles said he expects the LSU secondary to step up and force the Crimson Tide to run the ball against the Tigers, which Miles doesn't thing the Tide can do against LSU's front seven.

"I think that they better run the football in this game because if they don't, I think the finest secondary in college football, which is the LSU Tigers, will make plays and make Tua uncomfortable," Miles said before continuing, "I think this secondary wins against Alabama. I think they have to run the football to beat LSU and I don't think that's going to happen. The linebacking corps, the defensive line will match up well against Alabama."

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
LSU pulling out all the stops like this proves to me that they are either crazy like a fox and know something that Alabama dosen't or they're just flat out crazy. I've never seen a group of fans act so insane trying to convince themselves of a victory.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What we want to do is make them think we will try and hit homeruns on each series, but really, we want to sustain drives.. burn the clock as much as we can. We want to control the TOP in this game. We want to make it hard for LSU offense to get on the field at same time wear out the LSU defense. WE can do this several way. Think back to Clemson-Alabama championship game.. where our defense was simply tired after 99 plays... We want to wear defense out by 3rd quarter.
I don't want to wear them out.....I want them yelling at each other for missed assignments as we pour it on. Clemson wore us out -- but barely barely beat us

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.