What if LSU just sits in zone coverage all game?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think one major factor being overlooked - there's no way LSU can put a scout team on the field (or just using their 1st string offense) that comes close to the speed, precision, timing, execution that they will see Saturday night from the Bama offense. OTOH, Alabama can very easily replicate the offense that LSU will be putting on the field with our scout team..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yet "O" said that they will rotate 6-7 DLs to keep them fresh. I wondered about that, since it didn't square with what I've heard...
I don't think that will work... They have to be careful about that. If Bama identify a guy on DL who is not good or struggle, they will attempt to go no huddle and try to keep him in the game as long they can on that series.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Make Alabama play left handed - take away what Alabama does best - the passing game. You only try to do that if you believe that you can stop Alabama's running game with 4 men in the box. It works in the NFL because QBs do not become ball carriers (or, they did not back then). It won't work against Alabama because Tua could rush for 100 yards in a game like that, to say nothing of the RB group.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Make Alabama play left handed - take away what Alabama does best - the passing game. You only try to do that if you believe that you can stop Alabama's running game with 4 men in the box. It works in the NFL because QBs do not become ball carriers (or, they did not back then). It won't work against Alabama because Tua could rush for 100 yards in a game like that, to say nothing of the RB group.
I just don't see an obvious path to victory for LSU. They would have to play their best game and we would have to play our worst. Maybe if they had a better offense but Burrow and their WRs/RBs just don't scare me all that much.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just don't see an obvious path to victory for LSU. They would have to play their best game and we would have to play our worst. Maybe if they had a better offense but Burrow and their WRs/RBs just don't scare me all that much.
Their path is simple to describe, but difficult to execute.

* Pressure Tua into making mistakes (turnovers) - could happen, but one is not going to be enough
* Turn those mistakes into points - could happen, but 7 points off of turnovers will not be enough
* Win in a low scoring game - not going to happen - even if they slow Alabama down, they will not be able to keep you under 35 points.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

* Pressure Tua into making mistakes (turnovers) - could happen, but one is not going to be enough
* Turn those mistakes into points - could happen, but 7 points off of turnovers will not be enough
* Win in a low scoring game - not going to happen - even if they slow Alabama down, they will not be able to keep you under 35 points.
That seems about right

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

True. I think this game is overhyped.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
7 years of gary danielson doing his "HERES HOW I BEAT BAMA" blueprint for the LSU game.
He may have a point, but he'd be better off sticking to his years-old adage: "You've got to have a hot QB to beat Bama." The problem with that for Burrows this year is that even if he has a great game against Bama, will it be better than Tua's offensive output, even it they can hold us to 30-40 points? I doubt it.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
He may have a point, but he'd be better off sticking to his years-old adage: "You've got to have a hot QB to beat Bama." The problem with that for Burrows this year is that even if he has a great game against Bama, will it be better than Tua's offensive output, even it they can hold us to 30-40 points? I doubt it.
Agree with this. It's true that Saban's only seemingly Kryptonite is the Hot QB. So what does he do? He goes out and gets better kryptonite. He truly is the GOAT!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Agree with this. It's true that Saban's only seemingly Kryptonite is the Hot QB. So what does he do? He goes out and gets better kryptonite. He truly is the GOAT!
It's any coaches' Kryptonite. A hot QB or passing game is impossible to stop for any team, especially with today's rules. But the passing game has historically been less consistent and reliable, thus the team that knocked of #1 one week can lose to #50 the next. But with all of the practice from youth up and the current rules, that consistency is much greater than it once was.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The last few years LSU kept it close as we played very conservative. Tua kills that game plan all to heck. Expect what you have seen all year, shave 10-14 points off as LSU has good defense but the rest is same as before. 52- 14 has been about par for the course, shave 14 off our score and it ends up 38-14 and that is about right, but then tack 14 back on as Tua will see significant second half play. So this will be about normal score for this season, they have better defense but Tua will play more, so score will be about normal . I see many trying to WISH LSU into a real game, forget about it. Bama continues to Roll as they have all year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
My biggest concern about this game is, win or lose, how are we going forward? Whatever LSU does to deal with Bama, and I think they will slow us up a lot, do they inflict injuries out of pure spite, or merely physical play, on our best players, both sides of the ball? Orgeron and LSU as a whole are "aroused" by the idea of beating Bama, and if they can't win, they'll play dirty. Missouri did, and it hurt a couple of our guys. Missouri is nowhere near as strong and physical as LSU, and we didn't play in Baton Rouge for that game. They want blood. They are hungry for it. We have to get out of that game with NO MORE injuries than we already have, and then, yay, you get a State team that doesn't match up at all, but will do the same thing.

Not to say anything about that last team on the schedule from the pastures.

It's at the point where I worry less about the win or loss, but staying healthy. Opposing teams see us as unstoppable, and when the score isn't feasible for them anymore, they'll try to injure our guys, just because. That's what I don't want. Outside of LSU-Clemson, and a Michigan-Ohio State matchup, there is no one who can beat Bama. But injuries would be a great equalizer.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Les Miles said Alabama can’t run on LSU, and LSU will shutdown the passing game. Wow! Don’t know where to go with that, but I will say Georgia’s Swift and Hollifield averaged 6.7 yds/ carry against LSU. Chaney just abondoned the run game for some reason.
They got behind. LSU stuffed a few runs then it was pretty much Fromm’s nightmare from then on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.