What if LSU just sits in zone coverage all game?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
They got behind. LSU stuffed a few runs then it was pretty much Fromm’s nightmare from then on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they stopped running the ball mid way through the second quarter. Score was 10-0, and 11 of the next 16 plays were pass plays until the end of the first half .They are not a pass team. Georgia panicked! Terrible play calling.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
It's any coaches' Kryptonite. A hot QB or passing game is impossible to stop for any team, especially with today's rules. But the passing game has historically been less consistent and reliable, thus the team that knocked of #1 one week can lose to #50 the next. But with all of the practice from youth up and the current rules, that consistency is much greater than it once was.
I guess I should have changed that from a Hot QB to a Phenom type QB. We have made some really good QBs look pedestrian over the years. It's all about having the right pieces and game planning. What Saban had problems with is these rare type of QB's that can laser the ball and can react on the move and process and extend plays. They only come along once every so often but are almost impossible to gameplay for. (Watson, Jonny Manzel, ect...) I consider Tua in that category and possibly even better.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Make Alabama play left handed - take away what Alabama does best - the passing game. You only try to do that if you believe that you can stop Alabama's running game with 4 men in the box. It works in the NFL because QBs do not become ball carriers (or, they did not back then). It won't work against Alabama because Tua could rush for 100 yards in a game like that, to say nothing of the RB group.
One problem...our guy throws lefty.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
they stopped running the ball mid way through the second quarter. Score was 10-0, and 11 of the next 16 plays were pass plays until the end of the first half .They are not a pass team. Georgia panicked! Terrible play calling.
This is what ....ed me off the most. Georgia was down 0-3 . They were having successful running the ball. Looking at the play-by-play in the game, I see Holyfield running for 17 yards, they were moving at will against LSU defense and then on 4th and 9 at LSU 14, Blankenship ran for loss of 2 yard, losing the ball recovered by White. That was horrible play calling. Even I know better not to call a trick play. I would've kicked a field goal and the game would've been tied 3-3. Georgia Series in 2nd quarter after the fumble was a hot mess. There was no rhythm, no nothing. It was a huge mess. Cheney or Smart panicked and I'm not sure why. If they had sticked to their running game in 2nd quarter, then Georgia would've been 17-3 going into halftime. Georgia gave the game away in 2nd quarter and they knew that. 4th quarter, they gave up. This is why I've always felt like the reason LSU is 7-1 because of how other teams gave up so easily. This is why Saban was saying, in midst of the storm, we must remain calm. That is the key. Players knows it. They watched the Georgia-LSU game... and they can do it.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Our receivers are going to get mugged. Irv should be open on a consistent basis. One of the "speed demons" will be able to shake loose at some point, but the good thing is how quickly Tua progresses through his reads. Backs might have a good day catching out of the back field. LSU fans are wildly confident on the msg boards. If we score early, it will get might somber in BR.
That is lsu fans. Wildly Confident.Without knowing why most times.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Remember coach-speak. He may not have given anything away. It may be the opposite of his intentions. Despite looks and speech, he's not dumb...
You also have to remember Bama plays and practices the way we play ball. Its always about what we do. I doubt Saban so much as listens to what O has to say but plans things according to game film and what lsu does during games.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My biggest concern about this game is, win or lose, how are we going forward? Whatever LSU does to deal with Bama, and I think they will slow us up a lot, do they inflict injuries out of pure spite, or merely physical play, on our best players, both sides of the ball? Orgeron and LSU as a whole are "aroused" by the idea of beating Bama, and if they can't win, they'll play dirty. Missouri did, and it hurt a couple of our guys. Missouri is nowhere near as strong and physical as LSU, and we didn't play in Baton Rouge for that game. They want blood. They are hungry for it. We have to get out of that game with NO MORE injuries than we already have, and then, yay, you get a State team that doesn't match up at all, but will do the same thing.

Not to say anything about that last team on the schedule from the pastures.

It's at the point where I worry less about the win or loss, but staying healthy. Opposing teams see us as unstoppable, and when the score isn't feasible for them anymore, they'll try to injure our guys, just because. That's what I don't want. Outside of LSU-Clemson, and a Michigan-Ohio State matchup, there is no one who can beat Bama. But injuries would be a great equalizer.
I worry about spite injuries...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You also have to remember Bama plays and practices the way we play ball. Its always about what we do. I doubt Saban so much as listens to what O has to say but plans things according to game film and what lsu does during games.
I never said that I thought Saban would pay any attention. I don't. I was just pointing out for members that Orgeron's remarks are theater...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I never said that I thought Saban would pay any attention. I don't. I was just pointing out for members that Orgeron's remarks are theater...
Just like his visit to Shelby County for a Natioanlly televised HS game. All theatre.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I finally saw a clip of O saying they needed to make Tua throw, so it really happened. Hard to believe, but he said it. More power to them...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I finally saw a clip of O saying they needed to make Tua throw, so it really happened. Hard to believe, but he said it. More power to them...
Yeah, he said it - not sure that I buy it. Hoping that he feels that way, though. :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.