What if LSU just sits in zone coverage all game?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I finally saw a clip of O saying they needed to make Tua throw, so it really happened. Hard to believe, but he said it. More power to them...
Did a team do this to AJ at one point? AJ was having good season... didnt throw interceptions for long time and teams had gameplan where they were going to force him to throw more?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Did a team do this to AJ at one point? AJ was having good season... didnt throw interceptions for long time and teams had gameplan where they were going to force him to throw more?

I think I remember that. The first thing which occurred to me was to wonder how he thinks he's going to do that. His DLs have been relatively ineffective in pass rush. Is he saying he's going to load the box and bring the LBs? That's like opting for quick suicide over slow...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think I remember that. The first thing which occurred to me was to wonder how he thinks he's going to do that. His DLs have been relatively ineffective in pass rush. Is he saying he's going to load the box and bring the LBs? That's like opting for quick suicide over slow...
I think if we score quick, Ed will back off immediately. Like you said the other day, you think that was coach talking. If my gut feeling is correct, we will expose them quick and fast to where they will make mistakes left and right.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Absolutely if Tua can pick up the blitz and get the ball to Irv Smith in the gap left by the linebacker it can turn into an explosive play. Who would want to tackle Smith when he has a head of steam? I did see in the MSU game where he brought LBs and dropped the DE into coverage. With no contain on the edge Damien would convert practically any third down running the ball.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Absolutely if Tua can pick up the blitz and get the ball to Irv Smith in the gap left by the linebacker it can turn into an explosive play. Who would want to tackle Smith when he has a head of steam? I did see in the MSU game where he brought LBs and dropped the DE into coverage. With no contain on the edge Damien would convert practically any third down running the ball.
If it's not just coach speak, Irv Smith will have the game of his life...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Without Devin White in the first half and Chaisson out for the year Alabama needs to take advantage of a neutered pass rush. Should be interesting to see how things are called. Aranda is a great D Coordinator.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
If they can't run, and I don't think they can, there is no way for them to win unless we give them minimum of 3 turnovers. Won't matter what kind of D they play. Our O has nothing to prove. Our D probably thinks they do. They will have their hair on fire.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So, Watching the game again, LSU brought blitzes a lot. It seem like there was always a defender coming at Tua on almost every passing play in the first half. It affected Tua on some plays. If you aren't bring pressure and LSU is in zone coverage, Tua will run. I think We will see MSU doing the same... they have real good DL line.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So, Watching the game again, LSU brought blitzes a lot. It seem like there was always a defender coming at Tua on almost every passing play in the first half. It affected Tua on some plays. If you aren't bring pressure and LSU is in zone coverage, Tua will run. I think We will see MSU doing the same... they have real good DL line.
I resurrected this because, even though LSU didn't strictly adher to it, MSU essentially did and, although it can't beat us, it definitely limited us. We could have taken better advantage of our mid-range, crossing and slant opportunities it afforded us. Also, the blitzes were being made more effective by holding the ball too long while waiting for deep routes to open up against the two deep safeties MSU held back most of the game...

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I resurrected this because, even though LSU didn't strictly adher to it, MSU essentially did and, although it can't beat us, it definitely limited us. We could have taken better advantage of our mid-range, crossing and slant opportunities it afforded us. Also, the blitzes were being made more effective by holding the ball too long while waiting for deep routes to open up against the two deep safeties MSU held back most of the game...
for some reason, both OC and QB kept thinking deep. We mess with defenses because of the speed of which Tua gets rid of it and the speed of our WRs. Have to think Ruggs and Smith not being at full speed hurt us some as well. We did not even notice blitzes early in the year because of how quick we were from snap to release.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good catch. We had ton of missed opportunities on the offense. I gotta see how Auburn will play us because they have been inconsistent on defense this year. I'll save this for another thread next week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Deonte Brown going down made a big difference, too. In the first two drives, Alabama ran the ball 15 times for 88 yards (5.9 ypc). After that, Alabama had 54 yards on 30 carries (1.8 ypc).

The way the running game was clicking, State would have changed their scheme or give up 300+ rushing yards.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Deonte Brown going down made a big difference, too. In the first two drives, Alabama ran the ball 15 times for 88 yards (5.9 ypc). After that, Alabama had 54 yards on 30 carries (1.8 ypc).

The way the running game was clicking, State would have changed their scheme or give up 300+ rushing yards.
I agree about Deonte. When Cotton replaced Deonte the run game became non-existent and when re-watching the game Cotton missed a few blitz pick-ups. One in particular that Tua was sacked on and got up slowly with the knee was a LB blitz up the middle. Cotton stayed on a double team with Jonah on the DE and let the LB run right by him up the middle. Hoping Deonte gets back soon or we do some fine tuning on the OL.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I agree about Deonte. When Cotton replaced Deonte the run game became non-existent and when re-watching the game Cotton missed a few blitz pick-ups. One in particular that Tua was sacked on and got up slowly with the knee was a LB blitz up the middle. Cotton stayed on a double team with Jonah on the DE and let the LB run right by him up the middle. Hoping Deonte gets back soon or we do some fine tuning on the OL.
I know we don`t see them in practice like the staff does, but I have to admit it`s hard for me to fathom that there`s such a great gap between Cotton and some of the other guys ( Casher and Matt Womack come to mind ) that they don`t slide someone else in at LG. That`s interesting to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.