Big Ten Doesn't Rehire TV Teddy Valentine for 2018-2019 Season

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Ted Valentine’s tenure as a college basketball official has stretched from Jud Heathcote to Tom Izzo, from Lou Henson to Brad Underwood, from Matt Painter, freshman guard, to Matt Painter, veteran coach.

Over 34 years, he has garnered both respect and vitriol from Big Ten coaches, groans (and worse) from fans and accusations from all of playing to the cameras, thus the nickname “TV Teddy.”

“Let me tell you about the ‘TV Ted’ stuff,” Valentine said by phone. “Don’t mean nothing. Ted Valentine is always on TV, and they’ve got to attach a name somewhere. As I’ve gotten older, I laugh more, I smile more, I high-five kids. I have nothing to prove no more.”

Valentine, 60, has no plans to hang up his whistle. He will continue officiating in the Atlantic Coast, Southeastern and American Athletic conferences.

But the Big Ten, the conference with which he is most associated, opted not to offer him a contract for the 2018-19 season. Rick Boyages, who oversees the conference’s basketball officials, said at Big Ten media day that the conference typically uses 30 to 35 referees. Valentine will not be one of them.

Asked if the decision was due to the grading of his performance or Valentine’s reputation for theatrics, Boyages kept his remarks general: “We factor it all in.”

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
You can almost always count on a L when he shows up for a Bama game. Of course he isn't the only one, Shows is equally bad.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
TV Teddy apparently thinks grammar is overrated.
And his age understated. Are we really meant to believe he began reffing B1G games at 26 years old? Or are those "TV years" of suffering for CBB fans?

Over 34 years, he has garnered both respect and vitriol from Big Ten coaches, groans (and worse) from fans and accusations from all of playing to the cameras, thus the nickname “TV Teddy.”

“Let me tell you about the ‘TV Ted’ stuff,” Valentine said by phone. “Don’t mean nothing. Ted Valentine is always on TV, and they’ve got to attach a name somewhere. As I’ve gotten older, I laugh more, I smile more, I high-five kids. I have nothing to prove no more.”

Valentine, 60, ...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Quite a few others need to be sent packing as well. Worst part of basketball is the officiating.
Shows comes to mind. Surprisingly, he did our Exhibition game VS Montevallo. I think we have lost something like 90% of the games he has done over the years. Look at our record and we've always been above 500 so that tells you he calls our games differently.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.