Big Ten Doesn't Rehire TV Teddy Valentine for 2018-2019 Season

Big Ten Doesn't Rehire TV Teddy Valentine for 2018-2019 Season

Link

Ted Valentine’s tenure as a college basketball official has stretched from Jud Heathcote to Tom Izzo, from Lou Henson to Brad Underwood, from Matt Painter, freshman guard, to Matt Painter, veteran coach.

Over 34 years, he has garnered both respect and vitriol from Big Ten coaches, groans (and worse) from fans and accusations from all of playing to the cameras, thus the nickname “TV Teddy.”

“Let me tell you about the ‘TV Ted’ stuff,” Valentine said by phone. “Don’t mean nothing. Ted Valentine is always on TV, and they’ve got to attach a name somewhere. As I’ve gotten older, I laugh more, I smile more, I high-five kids. I have nothing to prove no more.”

Valentine, 60, has no plans to hang up his whistle. He will continue officiating in the Atlantic Coast, Southeastern and American Athletic conferences.

But the Big Ten, the conference with which he is most associated, opted not to offer him a contract for the 2018-19 season. Rick Boyages, who oversees the conference’s basketball officials, said at Big Ten media day that the conference typically uses 30 to 35 referees. Valentine will not be one of them.

Asked if the decision was due to the grading of his performance or Valentine’s reputation for theatrics, Boyages kept his remarks general: “We factor it all in.”
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Re: Big Ten Doesn't Rehire TV Teddy Valentine for 2018-2019 Season

He needs to be gone period.

You can almost always count on a L when he shows up for a Bama game. Of course he isn't the only one, Shows is equally bad.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

TV Teddy apparently thinks grammar is overrated.
    Last edited by dayhiker; November 5th, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Quite a few others need to be sent packing as well. Worst part of basketball is the officiating.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    TV Teddy apparently thinks grammar is overrated.
    And his age understated. Are we really meant to believe he began reffing B1G games at 26 years old? Or are those "TV years" of suffering for CBB fans?

Over 34 years, he has garnered both respect and vitriol from Big Ten coaches, groans (and worse) from fans and accusations from all of playing to the cameras, thus the nickname “TV Teddy.”

“Let me tell you about the ‘TV Ted’ stuff,” Valentine said by phone. “Don’t mean nothing. Ted Valentine is always on TV, and they’ve got to attach a name somewhere. As I’ve gotten older, I laugh more, I smile more, I high-five kids. I have nothing to prove no more.”

Valentine, 60, ...

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    Quite a few others need to be sent packing as well. Worst part of basketball is the officiating.
    Shows comes to mind. Surprisingly, he did our Exhibition game VS Montevallo. I think we have lost something like 90% of the games he has done over the years. Look at our record and we've always been above 500 so that tells you he calls our games differently.