Link: SB Nation Article, not a bad read.... RP warning

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I love when the talking heads say Pressure Tua and you may win. Tua is a heck of a runner, get close he will duck weave and turn, if no one is open he runs for yardage. This is a 3 headed monster, Pass run or QB scrambles for yards. Most say slow the run try to cover the pass,then Tua eats you alive with his run ability. I am so sorry but this is a offense built to score and pick up yards in large chunks. You cannot man to man cover, stack the box and spy the QB all at the same time. Saban has always said, take what the defense gives you and at some point they will give you the game. Please someone show me any team in the nation that has a defense that can cover pass, run, and key on QB all at the same time. Even our best defenses lately could not do that. A scrambling running QB who can throw and has 3-4 great RB's is all but unstoppable. Lsu D is good but not great, they will bend until they break. They will be tough, but this offense will do what ever it takes. Too many weapons for a good defense to stop. 85 Bears defense could stop us, but no college defense out there can shut this Offense down. They may hold us to 30, but they will not see 20.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I love when the talking heads say Pressure Tua and you may win. Tua is a heck of a runner, get close he will duck weave and turn, if no one is open he runs for yardage. This is a 3 headed monster, Pass run or QB scrambles for yards. Most say slow the run try to cover the pass,then Tua eats you alive with his run ability. I am so sorry but this is a offense built to score and pick up yards in large chunks. You cannot man to man cover, stack the box and spy the QB all at the same time. Saban has always said, take what the defense gives you and at some point they will give you the game. Please someone show me any team in the nation that has a defense that can cover pass, run, and key on QB all at the same time. Even our best defenses lately could not do that. A scrambling running QB who can throw and has 3-4 great RB's is all but unstoppable. Lsu D is good but not great, they will bend until they break. They will be tough, but this offense will do what ever it takes. Too many weapons for a good defense to stop. 85 Bears defense could stop us, but no college defense out there can shut this Offense down. They may hold us to 30, but they will not see 20.
I don’t know how much running Tua will do, but in a 5 wide look, QB run is the check down. I saw a stat on SEC now that Tua is pressured on 39.4% of all dropbacks, the most of any QB. so I don’t see how pressuring even more will help.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
30 in the first half, or whole game?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don’t know how much running Tua will do, but in a 5 wide look, QB run is the check down. I saw a stat on SEC now that Tua is pressured on 39.4% of all dropbacks, the most of any QB. so I don’t see how pressuring even more will help.
More effective pressure would help, not more frequent ineffective pressure. Example - Alabama pressured Clemson's QBs in the two national championship games. In both games the pressure was effective in the first half but far less effective i the second half because Alabama's players became too tired. You have to get there early or it doesn't help.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
More effective pressure would help, not more frequent ineffective pressure. Example - Alabama pressured Clemson's QBs in the two national championship games. In both games the pressure was effective in the first half but far less effective i the second half because Alabama's players became too tired. You have to get there early or it doesn't help.
Excellent point. O mentioned that he was using 6 or 7 DL to stay fresh, and constantly attacking the front. I don't think that will work to some degrees. eventually you are going to have maybe 3 or 4 DL that get beat at LOS while maybe 2 were effective against Bama OL. Eventually some of the players will get tired.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Excellent point. O mentioned that he was using 6 or 7 DL to stay fresh, and constantly attacking the front. I don't think that will work to some degrees. eventually you are going to have maybe 3 or 4 DL that get beat at LOS while maybe 2 were effective against Bama OL. Eventually some of the players will get tired.
I think Alabama has the ability to substitute offensive linemen if need be without much drop off if that's LSU's strategy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Alabama has the ability to substitute offensive linemen if need be without much drop off if that's LSU's strategy.
Substituting o-linemen hurts rather than helping. I would rather have the same tired o-linemen on the field in the 4th quarter. When o-linemen get a feel for what the d-linemen are doing in the game, they become far more effective.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Just go hurry up and negate their ability to sub. Kiffin said recently that we aren't going that fast. Imagine if we spend it up so that defenses couldn't sub and had trouble getting the calls in and getting set. Without White I'd try to strain their communication by going fast early on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Just go hurry up and negate their ability to sub. Kiffin said recently that we aren't going that fast. Imagine if we spend it up so that defenses couldn't sub and had trouble getting the calls in and getting set. Without White I'd try to strain their communication by going fast early on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I agree. Tua went up tempo against Georgia in the second half of the NCG last year and it was effective. Should have won the game on the last snap of the 4th quarter.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
This is a really interesting article. I liked the explanations of what is happening underneath the surface. I always get caught up in the moment, and like to go back and rewatch games, and find articles and videos that breakdown film. This was a good one. An interesting part is jamming the WR's and how they move guys around to get a clean release.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Substituting o-linemen hurts rather than helping. I would rather have the same tired o-linemen on the field in the 4th quarter. When o-linemen get a feel for what the d-linemen are doing in the game, they become far more effective.
agreed - plus, it is much, much more tiring to rush the passer than it is to setup in pass-pro. OL is holding ground and giving ground slowly, DL is trying to push through and gain ground...

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I think we will need 30 points for a solid, low-stress win, and we will probably score more than that. LSU is not that great against the run, and put a man in the box to stop the hydra and Tua is in the tall cotton. I'm feeling 17 to 23 for LSU, depending on Bama turnovers. Tua plays the whole 3rd quarter, but only because Jalen is still gimpy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we will need 30 points for a solid, low-stress win, and we will probably score more than that. LSU is not that great against the run, and put a man in the box to stop the hydra and Tua is in the tall cotton. I'm feeling 17 to 23 for LSU, depending on Bama turnovers. Tua plays the whole 3rd quarter, but only because Jalen is still gimpy.
Right now, I think Tua plays the whole game unless there's room for Mac in mopup...

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
They have 2 NFL caliber conerbacks... We have 5 NFL caliber receivers on the field at the same time. Can't shut all of them down... Plus we got 3 NFL caliber running backs in and out.. Oh and plus an NFL caliber QB. Nuff said.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
They have 2 NFL caliber conerbacks... We have 5 NFL caliber receivers on the field at the same time. Can't shut all of them down... Plus we got 3 NFL caliber running backs in and out.. Oh and plus an NFL caliber QB. Nuff said.
And an offensive line that has NFL caliber players across the board.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of their safeties is also NFL caliber...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.