Maryland coach situation

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good for him if it happens after the season. He'd be going home...his family has been through a lot over the last few years.

I'm not worried either way because Saban would be shouting "MAKE A LINE" outside his office for coordinators wanting to coach this passing game for a year or two.
Wouldn't be necessary. He would probably just give Enos the play-calling responsibilities.

While Locks is the easy option, I'm not sure they would go after him. They didn't offer him the job after making him interim after Edsall was fired in 2015.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If we win the national championship with the kind of offense we have been showing Locks will probably get some sort of offer, but the kind of money he makes at Bama, and the toys he has to play with, would probably make it tough for him to leave. He has been through it and knows the drill.

rtr

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Hearing Locksley to Maryland. [emoji20]

I was talking about this very scenario last night when the kids were out getting candy with my FIL. We thought that it was possible that Dan Enos would step in like we thought Sarkisian was supposed to. I would be glad to have Enos as the OC. Any reason why he would not be anyone's first choice?

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I'm surprised we didn't have more of these deaths during my time of playing high school football.

In the old days, water was supposed to give you cramps. So we didn't get water in 2-a-days until the end of each practice session, and we always began with a giant salt tablet that was the size of those jumbo Sweet Tarts....you could hardly swallow them.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I'm surprised we didn't have more of these deaths during my time of playing high school football.

In the old days, water was supposed to give you cramps. So we didn't get water in 2-a-days until the end of each practice session, and we always began with a giant salt tablet that was the size of those jumbo Sweet Tarts....you could hardly swallow them.
You were supposed to chew it up! :p

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe it happened more, and we just never heard about it.

I can remember during practice basically the exact same thing you described. The coaches used to make you wait until practice was over to get a drink, or would treat water a like a reward if it was unusually hot outside and/or practice was running over.. “Nobody is going to get a drink until you ALL get it right!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

This post brings back a lot of bad memories, sounds and smells. I recall one day getting home after a brutally hot practice to find out I had lost 14 pounds. Of course it was all liquid, but it is amazing there were not more real medical issues back in those days.

As for Locksley, I am not sure he is ready for another HC job and certainly Maryland has already passed him over.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I didn't personally go to UMD but having been born and raised in Maryland I know a ton of UMD grads. Every single one I've talked to about this has been visibly upset by it and have expressed severe disappointment in their school.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
This guy allowed a kid to die on his watch, he should never be allowed to coach at any level ever again. JEEZ how stupid is Maryland. This was no accident they allowed him to die from heat stroke for Gods sake. I felt he could be charged with involuntary manslaughter. Coaching again should never have even been entertained.
This has happened in our military services more than most people know. I personally saw it happen once while in endurance training. We weren't allowed water either. But to get to your point....I agree that the Maryland tragedy was entirely uncalled for. And I can't imagine the man trying to recruit my son. Just my opinion.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Strength and conditioning coaches are in a tight spot because it's their job to push you right up to the edge of as far as you can go. I had a friend who did the cross fit thing and his trainer didn't believe you had put out enough unless you puked. Well, puking does all sorts of nasty things to your body and isn't something anyone should strive for.

I know Scott Cochrane has a pretty big staff and I am sure they are watching the boys closely, but I really don't see how you push someone right up to the edge of what they are capable of and still keep them safe? Maybe in one out of ten thousand guys that 'right up against the edge' winds up being over the edge, the edge of what it's safe for that guy to have been doing?

rtr

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Canada is interim head coach. Maybe it will become permanent?
Matt Canada is a very good OC, but his schemes are complicated and take time to learn. It would take him about three years to get it where it was useful. That being said, I have heard his attitude and temperament are not HC worthy. Maybe this year being so trying has tempered that and if he were to get them to a bowl, he would have a legit chance to keep the job. I know Butch Jones has expressed interest, but I would more than likely go with Canada after a year in the system.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Player comes forward with details on Maryland practice fight

New details emerged Thursday regarding a physical altercation between multiple players on the Maryland football team. A result differences in the DJ Durkin saga, backup punter Matthew Barber tells the Baltimore Sun that he was assaulted after practice Tuesday.

According to the Sun’s report, which cites Barber as well as multiple anonymous sources, an unnamed player assaulted Barber based on his label as a “whistle-blower” within the program. Word spread that Barber talked in detail to investigators regarding ESPN’s original reports of a toxic culture within Durkin’s program.

“My jersey was bloody,” Barber told the Sun. “I had blood all over my hands.”

Barber says he was mocked before practice as Durkin returned and had footballs thrown at him. After practice concluded Tuesday evening in College Park, Barber said another played attacked him. During a scuffle, other players held Barber back to allow the player to, “punch Barber repeatedly in the face, leaving him with a black eye, needing multiple stitches on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder, Barber said.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.