Maryland coach situation

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Strength and conditioning coaches are in a tight spot because it's their job to push you right up to the edge of as far as you can go. I had a friend who did the cross fit thing and his trainer didn't believe you had put out enough unless you puked. Well, puking does all sorts of nasty things to your body and isn't something anyone should strive for.

I know Scott Cochrane has a pretty big staff and I am sure they are watching the boys closely, but I really don't see how you push someone right up to the edge of what they are capable of and still keep them safe? Maybe in one out of ten thousand guys that 'right up against the edge' winds up being over the edge, the edge of what it's safe for that guy to have been doing?

rtr
If a player at Alabama were to die during summer workouts, would Nick Saban be fired or forced to resign??
One of the things brought to light after this was the lack of appropriate training for staff regarding first medical response, prevention, and identification of problems.

Show of hands.....who here doesn't think that Nick Saban

1) didn't already have the appropriate staff trained/certified/etc for those specific things or
2) since this happened at Maryland HASN'T had his guys trained in these things?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I honestly don't see how the entire administration - coaches, trainers, President and BoR - could have botched this any worse, even if they were trying to do that.

I'm willing to listen to the variability in how different people present symptoms of overheating. I'm willing to listen to the difficulty in balancing push to the edge vs. push over the edge. Where I lose patience is with the 1 hour+ time between when everybody in the building knew the player was in trouble, and when true professional medical help was called. It's clear to me they were hoping that, if they did what little they knew to do, that he would get better and nobody would be the wiser. As a result, a young man died.

Coach earlier says that the S&C and coach have to be "joined at the hip." Coach knew the culture, if not the specific incident.

President owned up to the University's culpability.

About about six months of investigation, the BoR determines that the coach didn't have the training to be culpable, and therefore wasn't.

Predictable public outrage ensues, and the BoR reverses itself less than 24 hours later.

I actually have no problem with the lengthy investigation. It takes time to arrive at all the facts, and you have a death on your hands. It needs to be right. Where my problem lies is that there were no exculpatory findings, yet the coach isn't culpable.

They should have fired him. If they had the nerve not to, feeling that they had information not generally available to the public, then public opinion shouldn't have affected the decision. What a bunch of stupid wimps.

If it weren't for the tragedy of the death of a young person, it would make for hilarious theater. As it is, it only emphasizes the incompetence that runs from the BoR to the athletic trainers, and every single stage of management in between.

Clown car circling a dumpster fire that was started by a train wreck doesn't begin to describe it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My takeaway is a little more basic. Something bad happened because the medical staff either was not properly trained, was not in a position to help, or was not allowed to help. This is pretty basic. Within a week they knew what happened there and could/should have taken action. By taken action - everyone responsible had to be fired because a life was lost.

The rest of this story (and the investigation) was a result of the "toxic culture" stuff that originated in the locker room after the death. It really has nothing to do with the death, and did not lead to the death. As it turns out, some players bought into Durkin's approach and others did not (insert shocked emoji here). The locker room was split before the player passed. The death caused that split to widen into a chasm that could not be bridged. Players who did not like Durkin laid the death at his feet while players who liked Durkin did not. Those two sides are not going to be easily reconciled.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
This post brings back a lot of bad memories, sounds and smells. I recall one day getting home after a brutally hot practice to find out I had lost 14 pounds. Of course it was all liquid, but it is amazing there were not more real medical issues back in those days.

As for Locksley, I am not sure he is ready for another HC job and certainly Maryland has already passed him over.
When I hear cicadas in August, smell freshly cut grass, and the heat and humidity are intolerable, I still occasionally get antsy, remembering all the torture we went thru during those August drills.

I have a buddy here in Lincoln who played small college basketball. I asked him why he didn't run. He said running reminded him of punishment.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Freshly cut grass and the sound of the pulsating sprinkler mounted on a tripod watering the field. The smell of stale uniforms and BO in the locker room. I did learn a trick on one of those suffocating afternoons; running sprints at the end of practice allowed the winner to go in, then the rest of us would line up, same thing. After a few days, I figured out I was the 5th fastest player in the practice ending sprints, so I dogged it in the first four sprints knowing I had the energy left to win the 5th set. Looking back I am sure our coach watched me and knew this but he never said anything.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
FWIW, pretty much everyone on the team has called this guy a liar after he released this story, including the portion of the locker room that wanted Durkin fired. It was apparently a fight between the two punters (no one else). He was not held down - just a fight that he lost.
The last I had heard was that his arms were held behind him while he was punched and he wound up with a dislocated shoulder.:confused: Supposedly there is a video somewhere. I guess it will take awhile until the truth comes out.

Toward the end of the practice, Barber said, Lees attacked him, attempting to punch him in the face. While the two teammates were fighting, others intervened, trying to break up the fight and grabbed Barber’s arms behind his back, he said. That allowed Lees to punch Barber repeatedly in the face, leaving him with a black eye, needing multiple stitches on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder, Barber said.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports...land-football-altercation-20181101-story.html

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
What ever, it is a dumpster fire at Maryland. What parent will send their kid to them? They are about to die like SMU after death penalty. They should shut down program for a few years and restart fresh, kind of like UAB. Let it all blow over and replace every staff member guilty or not. The only way to remove the stink is to kill it for awhile and start over fresh. otherwise this drags on them for a decade.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The last I had heard was that his arms were held behind him while he was punched and he wound up with a dislocated shoulder.:confused: Supposedly there is a video somewhere. I guess it will take awhile until the truth comes out.
Yeah, we already saw that. That is his story. The other side of the story is now coming out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.