Poll: We win the toss vs. LSU - offense or defense first and why?

If Bama wins the toss vs. LSU, what should we choose?

• Tua time - take the ball first.

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Defer and let the dogs loose on D first.

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Title is self-explanatory. What say you?

I'm going with defense 1st. Hope to get a quick 3 and out, take the crowd frenzy down a notch or two and grab some good field position for the 1st drive. Thoughts?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Just to be contrary, offense. See the way they are going to attack Tua so the staff can begin to counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am torn - on the one hand you want as many possessions as possible in the first half without their best player on the field, on the other hand you want the ball first in the second half after you have made adjustments. I took the later, but could easily be swayed.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I am torn - on the one hand you want as many possessions as possible in the first half without their best player on the field, on the other hand you want the ball first in the second half after you have made adjustments. I took the later, but could easily be swayed.
I'm so not worried about White....I wish they'd let him play...

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Make 'em play from behind!
Im on this train. Take the ball and score a TD like we have done all year. This deflated the crowd. Either a methodical drive or Tua bomb deflates that whole place. If Bama can shell shock them a couple of times in the first quarter the crowd is out of it and the emotion is gone. Then it becomes a meat grinder for them. “Make that #%* quit”.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm so not worried about White....I wish they'd let him play...
No one is worried about White. But White is the best defensive player in this entire game with the possible exception of Q Williams. He is a difference maker. It would be great if the game was already over when he takes the field.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I'd take the ball and set the tone early. I'd want to see Tua & company get out to a quick lead and force LSU to try to play catch up, which they are not built to do.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I elect to take the ball first. The whole thing has been our offense versus their defense. They will have studied our opening script tendencies and have a plan for what they think we are going to do.
But there's no way in heaven we will run our usual plays to start the game. If we can knock them off-balance to start the game with then tremors will run through that stadium straight up James Carville's spine.

If you take their biggest strength and succeed against it on the first drive of the game then that's really going to help out with the crowd and their confidence going forward. I say we take the ball and run a script of plays they've never seen before. I want them with an urgent warning in the back of their mind the entire game that they need to play catch up. After the 1st possession I want their defense questioning their film study and I want their offense to feel the pressure of NEEDING to score.

That needs to happen from the word go.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'd take the ball first but I don't think Saban will. I can't remember when he has ever taken the ball first. Maybe he has before the deferral option was available but probably not since.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I have mixed ideas about it. I think I would rather our defense be out there first. They will be fired up. Also, Bama would get the ball to start the 3rd quarter.

It will be interesting to see what Saban does. I think he may put the offense on the field first.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I usually say "defer."

I say take the ball this time because LSU hasn't scored more than 17 points on us since 2010. If Tua takes us right down the field for yet another score (esp with White out of the game), it numbs the crowd very quickly.

If we get the quick turnover (a la Tennessee) as well, we can make it funereal quite early.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It really does not matter to me. Defense get a 3 and out, Offense strike fast for 7. Either way it sets the tone. I truly feel either way it goes we will show up and take care of business.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I elect to take the ball first. The whole thing has been our offense versus their defense. They will have studied our opening script tendencies and have a plan for what they think we are going to do.
But there's no way in heaven we will run our usual plays to start the game. If we can knock them off-balance to start the game with then tremors will run through that stadium straight up James Carville's spine.

If you take their biggest strength and succeed against it on the first drive of the game then that's really going to help out with the crowd and their confidence going forward. I say we take the ball and run a script of plays they've never seen before. I want them with an urgent warning in the back of their mind the entire game that they need to play catch up. After the 1st possession I want their defense questioning their film study and I want their offense to feel the pressure of NEEDING to score.

That needs to happen from the word go.
In a perfect world we kick and get a turnover fast, score fast and show we are balanced defense and offense. Send a fast message, we will score and you will not. OR we get ball score fast then kick it and get turnover and score again fast. 14-0 before they can breathe LOL

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
In a perfect world we kick and get a turnover fast, score fast and show we are balanced defense and offense. Send a fast message, we will score and you will not. OR we get ball score fast then kick it and get turnover and score again fast. 14-0 before they can breathe LOL
They know our defense is good, even if it isn't 2016-2017 good. We have to prove to them right out of the gate that the thing you hang your hat on, your defense, is not as good as our offense. They expect their defense to keep them in this game and their offense not to just completely ruin it for them. I'm not sure either is going to happen. I can see Burrow getting a lot of heat early and eventually making a critical error or getting the ball knocked away.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd take the ball first but I don't think Saban will. I can't remember when he has ever taken the ball first. Maybe he has before the deferral option was available but probably not since.
That's odd. My memory was that we'd deferred only once when winning the toss. I'll try to dig it out...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Take the ball first. We want to set the tone to where we can go into 1st half knowing we have a lead and we cna play comfortable

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.