Notre Dame shouldn't be in the playoffs.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Notre Dame does it so they do not have to share revenue.

The basketball rule was adapted because we had a lot of lower division schools trying to move up. The NCAA put in the rule so that these small schools need to be invited to join a conference before moving up. Football does not have this rule because of Notre Dame. I think this should be a rule across the board with sports. Now in football we have 6 independents. Mighty powerhouses like UMass (got kicked out of the MAC), Liberty (just moved up this year), and New Mexico State (who got kicked out of the Sun Belt). I want the rule to avoid these tiny schools moving up when they do not deserve it. The rule will never happen in football because of Notre Dame.
ND, Texas, Florida, aTm, USC, and Alabama (a few others)could all go independent and survive. The problem is the conferences could push back and prevent long term deals where they would shut out those teams like they do ND now. It’s a big reason ND has these random rivalries with teams like Navy and USC.

Personally I wish we would do away with the group of 5.

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
Whether or not Notre Dame should be into the playoff should not be contingent on a conference championship, or championship game either. I think those games can help in determining who belongs, but never should be required in any way.
Me either.
But I believe they'd likely be eliminated from the playoffs if they were in a conference (ACC, SEC, BIG 12 or BIG 10).
And for what it's worth, I didn't think we qualified last year after losing to Auburn (until it came down to us or OSU).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We are going to play Notre Dame in the playoffs. #4 ND vs #1 Alabama. And we are going to absolutely destroy them. Then we will play the winner of #3 Michigan vs #2 Clemson

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
We are going to play Notre Dame in the playoffs. #4 ND vs #1 Alabama. And we are going to absolutely destroy them. Then we will play the winner of #3 Michigan vs #2 Clemson
I'm afraid not. I'd love to play ND, but if they remain undefeated they'll likely be #3. :frown:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm afraid not. I'd love to play ND, but if they remain undefeated they'll likely be #3. :frown:
I think it depends on how the B1G plays out. UM could jump them if they win out. They would both have played a more difficult schedule, and would have the B1GCG while ND sits at home.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think it depends on how the B1G plays out. UM could jump them if they win out. They would both have played a more difficult schedule, and would have the B1GCG while ND sits at home.

True, but how in the world does one REALLY overcome "head to head loss"?

I won't be surprised if the Irish choke against Syracuse.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I second that. I wouldn’t be sad if we took ND’s lead and find a great tv contract to get away from the 13 whiny dwarves.
If it were possible, I'd say go for it. The problem is, you've got to find a conference willing to house the rest of your sports. Not even mighty Notre Dame can go it alone... they were associated with the Big East for years and then found out they would have to sacrifice even more of their precious Independence when they moved to the ACC (only 3 yearly football games against Big East opponents turned into 5 with the ACC).

Notre Dame had the built in advantage of having never been in a conference. We've got such a long history with the rest of these clowns, that the SEC would never agree to such an arrangement. Maybe the ACC would. None of the rest would for various reasons, IMO.

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
Last night at the Thursday presser:

Saban said there is not a level playing field in college football because some teams have to play a conference championship game and others — i.e. Notre Dame — don’t.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Last night at the Thursday presser:

Saban said there is not a level playing field in college football because some teams have to play a conference championship game and others — i.e. Notre Dame — don’t.
That cuts both ways. Some teams (Buckeyes; Sooners) can get in ONLY because of the extra games being played. Last year, had there been no conference championship games, the SEC would still have placed two teams in the CFP, but neither would’ve been Alabama...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That cuts both ways. Some teams (Buckeyes; Sooners) can get in ONLY because of the extra games being played. Last year, had there been no conference championship games, the SEC would still have placed two teams in the CFP, but neither would’ve been Alabama...
I did not hear the question or actual comment, but it also helped Alabama at least once. Alabama does not get into the CFP last year if you had to face GA at that time of the year.

There is no such thing as a level playing field in sports. Unless everyone has the same players, coaches and facilities, some schools are just going to have an advantage. That's life.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it seems a bit ironic that some Bama fans say Notre Dame doesn't deserve to be in because they don't play in a conference championship when we have made it to both a BCS championship and the playoff without winning our division, much less our conference. I don't think Notre Dame's schedule was terribly challenging, but it is a legit schedule, and they went undefeated. I think they should be in the playoff. Besides, it will give me a chance to watch some team whip them. :biggrin2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I seriously doubt that if Alabama went independent many on here would be complaining or saying we were undeserving of the final 4

I think this is more about this being Notre Dame than a question of fairness.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I second that. I wouldn’t be sad if we took ND’s lead and find a great tv contract to get away from the 13 whiny dwarves.
Prior to inking their lucrative TV deal with NBC, ND had won 13 national titles. Since inking their lucrative TV deal with NBC, ND has won zero national titles.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, since expanding in 1992 the SEC has won 13 titles in 25 seasons, with Alabama taking the most of any team (6).

I know it's not as simple as conference vs no conference, but I'm still gonna go out on a limb and say that being in a conference has served Bama better than not being in one has served ND.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Prior to inking their lucrative TV deal with NBC, ND had won 13 national titles. Since inking their lucrative TV deal with NBC, ND has won zero national titles.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, since expanding in 1992 the SEC has won 13 titles in 25 seasons, with Alabama taking the most of any team (6).

I know it's not as simple as conference vs no conference, but I'm still gonna go out on a limb and say that being in a conference has served Bama better than not being in one has served ND.
In 92, 12, and 18 it had/has the potential to hurt us.

In 2008 it definitely hurt us.

ND’s problem is the lack of instate recruiting. It’s not as bad as Tennessee or Nebraska, but irs nowhere near as good as Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. If Alabama went independent then Alabama would be in a better situation than Notre Dame.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.