Lets not waste time, MISS ST how bad will we beat them?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
The biggest concern I have with this game is that our offense is pretty banged up. I imagine that N. Harris will be limited to unavailable and he's kind of our secret weapon for this late part of the schedule as we could see last weekend. Ruggs and Smith are both still limited and they're significant in allowing Juedy to be a big play threat. Tua is likely to be "quasi pure pocket" quarterback until after the SECCG if I had to guess. Really hurts our ability to move the pocket around to diminish the pass rush. Makes the OL winning their pass protection matchups even more critical.
Other guys have to step up. Waddle and Irv Smith will be big parts of this game. Coach sounded optimistic on Ruggs being available so we'll see. Devonta should be improving more as time goes by. We need to get through this game and rest as many as possible against The Citadel.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The biggest concern I have with this game is that our offense is pretty banged up. I imagine that N. Harris will be limited to unavailable and he's kind of our secret weapon for this late part of the schedule as we could see last weekend. Ruggs and Smith are both still limited and they're significant in allowing Juedy to be a big play threat. Tua is likely to be "quasi pure pocket" quarterback until after the SECCG if I had to guess. Really hurts our ability to move the pocket around to diminish the pass rush. Makes the OL winning their pass protection matchups even more critical.
I agree with everything you said. I just highlighted the above because it made me recall just how deft Tua is in the pocket and creating space for himself. Sure, variety would be nice - but I think we can win from the pocket. And if he can even just be a serviceable scrambler on his knee like he was against LSU that seems to be more than enough. Teams have become so tense about not letting him shred them through the air that the few times he really needs to take off he often has the space.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Remember, this is the same offense as last year and they scored 24 against a better Alabama defense. When Fitz gets hot, he is very good. He has been hot the last 2 games.
IMO, many Bama fans are selling MSU's D short - great DL, much better and much deeper than LSU's, the LBs are good and they supposedly have 2 NFL safeties with decent- good corners. Shoop is good but not like Aranda. OTOH, remember that in last year's MSU game Bama inside LBs were a mess with no one to call signals. IMO, the D is in better shape than last year's for the MSU game. IMO, they would now beat UK and UF and be 8-1. It will be impressive if Bama has no trouble with MSU.

One comforting note is that MSU has not performed well on the road in SEC play: UK, LSU.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm just not worried about this game.

The Defense looks to be starting to really gel at just the right time. I know L8U is no offensive juggernaut but we looked so much better wrt to tackling, communication, and focus as compared to just a few games ago.

The D-Line is almost unstoppable and Q and Buggs are both having monster seasons. Only officials refusing to flag opponents for holding them nonstop is remotely keeping them in check.....and even then we are still creating pocket pressure.

Mack and Moses look to be playing much better as well. We aren't seeing near as many bad angles or guys being confused.

The secondary has surprisingly been a strong suit for much of the season. Sure we've given up some yardage there but it's because teams are playing from behind and having to throw non stop.

Right now we are ranked 30th in Pass Defense..... but we are 8th in opposing QB Comp% (51%) and Tied for 7th in INTS (13). So teams haven't really been efficient against us.... it just pure volume of reps yardage and drives ending in turnovers or late garbage points.

The Offense is having to navigate some injury issues for sure but enough guys are steeping up that we've haven't really been hurt yet.

Waddle and Irv have both stepped up bigtime with Smitty and Ruggs III missing time here and there and Jeudy has just been an unstoppable freak of nature.

With the RB's Josh and Damien have been absolutely superb. I hate that Najee is dinged up now but BRob more than looks like he is up to the task of taking on a bigger role.

I am a little concerned with the QB situation right now because we are 1 freak play away from Mac Jones being the starter and we have done a horrendously poor job of getting him prepared to play SEC level ball.

The plus side though is that our O-Line's pass protection has been fantastic all year. We look even better with Deonte Brown in the lineup and the running attack has improved steadily the last 3 games including 281 yards last Saturday.

Our only major concern is placekicking. The missed XP's is just completely inexcusable at this level and I'm sure if a pressure FG is needed somewhere along the way we will all be sweating it.

But this week MSU isn't going to play us close enough for kicking to matter.

This Bama squad is hitting on all cylinders right now and I expect an absolute bloodbath this weekend against a One-dimensional 106th ranked passing offense.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I do not believe this team has playing down in their arsenal. I don't think they take anyone for granted, even if they are beat up and tired. They are like a machine.
Intensity is not an issue, these guys have not played down to a team since Nicks first year, or once playoff was gone like the 2 bowl game beatings we took.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
I would love to get a head of them quickly, Get Tua out to rest. Keep Jalen on the bench to let ankle heal even more. Which gets Mac Jones in and allows him to take a decent amount of snaps/game experience. I think getting Mac a bunch of playing time for MISS ST and Citadel would be beneficial for us in case of an injury down the road. ROLL TIDE

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Alabama was incredibly fortunate to get out of Starkville with a win last year. They pushed us around at the line of scrimmage. I sincerely hope the Alabama team dosen't have the big head and an emotional letdown after beating LSU. I still have nightmares about Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M in 2012. This is a somewhat similar situation. Hopefully the same fate dosen't await.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
So, you have us missing 3 XPs too? ;)
At this point just go for 2 if we convert half it averages to exp made. Just forget kicking altogether other than kick offs, still doing ok. Np punt, let tua throw deep get lucky we catch it, if not let them intercept then tackle the guy, TUA can throw deeper than punter can punt. Just do away with punter and ext pt attempts.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
At this point just go for 2 if we convert half it averages to exp made. Just forget kicking altogether other than kick offs, still doing ok. Np punt, let tua throw deep get lucky we catch it, if not let them intercept then tackle the guy, TUA can throw deeper than punter can punt. Just do away with punter and ext pt attempts.
With this strategy, we could free up 2 or 3 scholarships.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Alabama was incredibly fortunate to get out of Starkville with a win last year. They pushed us around at the line of scrimmage. I sincerely hope the Alabama team dosen't have the big head and an emotional letdown after beating LSU. I still have nightmares about Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M in 2012. This is a somewhat similar situation. Hopefully the same fate dosen't await.
They stacked the box last year because we had a different QB back there. They won't be able to do that against Tua.

This isn't even remotely a similar situation to 2012. Manziel was one of the best College Dual-Threat QB's ever. He was a legit threat to Pass and Run.

Nick Fitzgerald is hot garbage. He's 1-dimensional....He can't pass..... His comp% this year is 50.8%.

We are going to eviscerate MSU.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
They stacked the box last year because we had a different QB back there. They won't be able to do that against Tua.

This isn't even remotely a similar situation to 2012. Manziel was one of the best College Dual-Threat QB's ever. He was a legit threat to Pass and Run.

Nick Fitzgerald is hot garbage. He's 1-dimensional....He can't pass..... His comp% this year is 50.8%.

We are going to eviscerate MSU.
I hope you're right. Fitz has actually looked good the last two weeks. Granted A&M and LA Tech have bad secondaries but still. State is also much healthier and fresh than Alabama. I just hope to get through this game and rest some guys against The Citadel.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Alabama was incredibly fortunate to get out of Starkville with a win last year. They pushed us around at the line of scrimmage. I sincerely hope the Alabama team dosen't have the big head and an emotional letdown after beating LSU. I still have nightmares about Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M in 2012. This is a somewhat similar situation. Hopefully the same fate dosen't await.[/QUOTE]

This is where I have to respectfully disagree. While I do understand your perspective, I wanted to point out few things:

1. Last year Jalen was our QB. At that time, Teams knew what Jalen's strength and weakness was... and they were loading the box. It was rough game for our offense, because of limitation of QB play and Daboll play calling.

2. Last year, we had several players who was out with injuries.... This year, we just are nicked up. Good thing is we have the depth. Tua will be fine.

3. There will be no emotional letdown. I haven't seen this from our team to suggest that we will have same issue this year. The team is more focused than ever especially this late in season. They want the season records, playoff, and championship. They know better to look ahead.

4. We made adjustment with our OL two weeks ago, and it benefited us so much. If we have cotton in with the starting, then I can see us getting pushed around somewhat.
5. WE can't compare our team to last year. It's completely different team, different QBs, different OC/DC. We will be fine.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm just not worried about this game.

The Defense looks to be starting to really gel at just the right time. I know L8U is no offensive juggernaut but we looked so much better wrt to tackling, communication, and focus as compared to just a few games ago.

The D-Line is almost unstoppable and Q and Buggs are both having monster seasons. Only officials refusing to flag opponents for holding them nonstop is remotely keeping them in check.....and even then we are still creating pocket pressure.

Mack and Moses look to be playing much better as well. We aren't seeing near as many bad angles or guys being confused.

The secondary has surprisingly been a strong suit for much of the season. Sure we've given up some yardage there but it's because teams are playing from behind and having to throw non stop.

Right now we are ranked 30th in Pass Defense..... but we are 8th in opposing QB Comp% (51%) and Tied for 7th in INTS (13). So teams haven't really been efficient against us.... it just pure volume of reps yardage and drives ending in turnovers or late garbage points.

The Offense is having to navigate some injury issues for sure but enough guys are steeping up that we've haven't really been hurt yet.

Waddle and Irv have both stepped up bigtime with Smitty and Ruggs III missing time here and there and Jeudy has just been an unstoppable freak of nature.

With the RB's Josh and Damien have been absolutely superb. I hate that Najee is dinged up now but BRob more than looks like he is up to the task of taking on a bigger role.

I am a little concerned with the QB situation right now because we are 1 freak play away from Mac Jones being the starter and we have done a horrendously poor job of getting him prepared to play SEC level ball.

The plus side though is that our O-Line's pass protection has been fantastic all year. We look even better with Deonte Brown in the lineup and the running attack has improved steadily the last 3 games including 281 yards last Saturday.

Our only major concern is placekicking. The missed XP's is just completely inexcusable at this level and I'm sure if a pressure FG is needed somewhere along the way we will all be sweating it.

But this week MSU isn't going to play us close enough for kicking to matter.

This Bama squad is hitting on all cylinders right now and I expect an absolute bloodbath this weekend against a One-dimensional 106th ranked passing offense.
I didn't see this post, but I 100 percent agree with this. The placekicking issue can be resolved. Just put Baker kid in there instead of Mac Jones.. and Let MAC get some reps with the 1's in the game actually throwing the ball. Good thing about our RBs is that we are deep there. Robinson is no slouch. I would love to see Harris, Jacob with a mix of Robinson in the game because that's just a physical running game MSU can't match. I believe we will hit over 200 yards of rushing this weekend.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I hope you're right. Fitz has actually looked good the last two weeks. Granted A&M and LA Tech have bad secondaries but still. State is also much healthier and fresh than Alabama. I just hope to get through this game and rest some guys against The Citadel.
SF Austin (FCS) - unranked
@ Kansas State - 90th passing defense
Louisiana - 93rd passing defense
@ Kentucky - 17th passing defense
Florida - 19th passing defense
Auburn - 57th passing defense
@ LSU - 44th passing defense
A&M - 83rd passing defense
Lousiana Tech - 37th passing defense

The only passing defense that's marginally decent that Fitzgerald has looked good against was last week vs Louisiana Tech. I don't think anyone is going to compare Bama's secondary to LT. Against defenses ranked in the top half of FBS Fitzgerald has averaged an adjusted QBR of 38.9, averaged going 11 for 25 (44% completion rate) for 93 yards and 0 TDs - and MSU lost three of those four games.

Bama is going to crush MSU.

Attachments

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
SF Austin (FCS) - unranked
@ Kansas State - 90th passing defense
Louisiana - 93rd passing defense
@ Kentucky - 17th passing defense
Florida - 19th passing defense
Auburn - 57th passing defense
@ LSU - 44th passing defense
A&M - 83rd passing defense
Lousiana Tech - 37th passing defense

The only passing defense that's marginally decent that Fitzgerald has looked good against was last week vs Louisiana Tech. I don't think anyone is going to compare Bama's secondary to LT. Against defenses ranked in the top half of FBS Fitzgerald has averaged an adjusted QBR of 38.9, averaged going 11 for 25 (44% completion rate) for 93 yards and 0 TDs - and MSU lost three of those four games.

Bama is going to crush MSU.

I hope it turns out this way. My hope is that after last year our players know that State is a tough ball club. Saban shouldn't have to pump the guys up this week.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Alabama was incredibly fortunate to get out of Starkville with a win last year. They pushed us around at the line of scrimmage. I sincerely hope the Alabama team dosen't have the big head and an emotional letdown after beating LSU. I still have nightmares about Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M in 2012. This is a somewhat similar situation. Hopefully the same fate dosen't await.[/QUOTE]

This is where I have to respectfully disagree. While I do understand your perspective, I wanted to point out few things:

1. Last year Jalen was our QB. At that time, Teams knew what Jalen's strength and weakness was... and they were loading the box. It was rough game for our offense, because of limitation of QB play and Daboll play calling.

2. Last year, we had several players who was out with injuries.... This year, we just are nicked up. Good thing is we have the depth. Tua will be fine.

3. There will be no emotional letdown. I haven't seen this from our team to suggest that we will have same issue this year. The team is more focused than ever especially this late in season. They want the season records, playoff, and championship. They know better than to look ahead.

4. We made adjustment with our OL two weeks ago, and it benefited us so much. If we have Cotton in with the starting, then I can see us getting pushed around somewhat.
5. WE can't compare our team to last year. It's completely different team, different QBs, different OC/DC. We will be fine.
I agree with everything you said, BUT ....

And I HOPE we will be FINE. Here's HOPING that our OL will give Tua time to do what he does so well/good. I am concerned about that Mittittippi Tate front seven and especially that DL. We MUST PROTECT our valuable QB and keep him SAFE from a harmful INTENT on the part of MSU's RUSH.

Now, I don't think it will be like 1980 when Bama lost 6 to 3, BUT Fitzgerald running wild also concerns me. Bama does have a tendency to let QB's slip out of the backfield for big gains. We have to have someone preventing him from escaping out of the backfield for BIG gains. Here's hoping that #92, #99, et al help to keep him on his back side.

Sometimes STUFF happens! Hopefully, STUFF will NOT happen this year.

Well, at least Bama players will NOT have to worry about the NOISE made by thousands of COWBELLS!

RTR!!!!!!!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree with everything you said, BUT ....

And I HOPE we will be FINE. Here's HOPING that our OL will give Tua time to do what he does so well/good. I am concerned about that Mittittippi Tate front seven and especially that DL. We MUST PROTECT our valuable QB and keep him SAFE from a harmful INTENT on the part of MSU's RUSH.

Now, I don't think it will be like 1980 when Bama lost 6 to 3, BUT Fitzgerald running wild also concerns me. Bama does have a tendency to let QB's slip out of the backfield for big gains. We have to have someone preventing him from escaping out of the backfield for BIG gains. Here's hoping that #92, #99, et al help to keep him on his back side.

Sometimes STUFF happens! Hopefully, STUFF will NOT happen this year.

Well, at least Bama players will NOT have to worry about the NOISE made by thousands of COWBELLS!

RTR!!!!!!!
This was early in the season. we've got better at containing our pressure to QB. I mean look at the last four teams we've played. We know MSU QB can run... and we will have someone on the field spying him. He is not going to get his usual 100 yard rushing.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Don't rate the QB except as a runner and Q can take care of him. D isn't horrible, but no match for "Tua Hood and his merry men." Anticipating a win by at least 30+

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.