Lets not waste time, MISS ST how bad will we beat them?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think that State is feisty, but there shouldn't be any logical reason that they can beat us. 34-13 was my score and I will stick to that.

rtr

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just don't see how a one-dimensional offense that could only muster three points against L8U scores 13 against Bama.
Remember, this is the same offense as last year and they scored 24 against a better Alabama defense. When Fitz gets hot, he is very good. He has been hot the last 2 games.

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
Remember, this is the same offense as last year and they scored 24 against a better Alabama defense. When Fitz gets hot, he is very good. He has been hot the last 2 games.
Totally agree about Fitz and we'll see which one of him shows up. On the defense, at the beginning of this year, we could all say last year's defense was better. As of this week, compared to this week last year, I'd say this year's is better. Not just based on the L8U performance, but the fact that last year's defense was decimated with injuries going into the MSU game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Aggy has possibly one of the worst secondaries in the conference. Got bombed on by Fitzgerald then fell apart against a limited Auburn offense the next week. Tua had arguably his best game of the season against Aggy. LaTech is, well, LaTech. That 2017 defense Fitz played was banged up almost beyond repair due to linebacker and defensive back injuries.

I'm only worried about MSU's defense. They aren't going to win this game because of their offense. They can only win this game by their defense bringing Alabama's O down to their level.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I just don't see how a one-dimensional offense that could only muster three points against L8U scores 13 against Bama.
we all feel the same on this one. We all feel more concern about being in a physical brawl 7 days prior. Not that MSU couldn't give us a scare or even beat us on a given day...but I do think it will be another brawl. As far as I know..our guys are sore and bruised as is usually the case coming in off a win in Bryant Denny West. Need Ruggs, Tua, Najee, Smith, and Jeudy all ready to run by Saturday. Ain't EVEN a good time to lay an egg now.Go Bama boys!! :BigA:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yes - look it up. Against aTm and La Tech (which has a surprisingly decent defense) he played lights out.
10/27- 241 yards and ran for 88 against TAMU
11/3- 243 yards and ran for 107 yards against Louisiana Tech.

Fitzgerald went over 100 yards 5 times this season. Now, if you take away SFA, Kansas State, Louisiana, and Louisiana Tech... and look at Kentucky, Florida, Auburn, LSU and Texas A and m, His number doesn't look real good.

It's real simple. Don't let Fitzgerald take off and run. We will likely to spy him, and force him to throw ball more than usual.

I just don't think he plays better against better defense than our. If LSU game was any thing to compare against, this is it. He is likely to post little better or worse than LSU because Bama defense is another level of elite.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
MSU equals pretty good Defense.
( if Tua is on we win by 30-35 points, if coach doesn't call us off.)
MSU equals pretty bad Offense... (If our D plays hard)

My prediction... 42-10

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It’s his receivers, not so much him.
If you don’t let him run (195 against the Barn), he doesn’t have the consistent quality receivers to beat Bama throwing the ball (or LSU), even if he’s “on”.
He might be a better passer than Burrow, but I don’t think his receivers are as good as the who’s.
They have the 105th ranked passing offense in the country. Bama giving up 193 per game (30th).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I compared Bama to Miss State on that "myteamsbetter"website. Bama won 22 categories and Miss Sate won 13 categories. I think that is better than the comparison was to LSU(LSU did not have as many categories.).

I just hope our O Line can keep Tua injury free. Miss State has a great D Line. I hope Tua does not try to run either. That knee needs to be rested for Auburn and UGA.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He's like Burrow - against sub-par defenses he looks pretty good, but against real defenses, not so much. He's not a serious passing threat.

Last year, Fitzgerald went 13/24 for 158 yards and 0 TDs. MSU only amassed 330 yards of offense. The game was close because the dominated TOP, basically because they put a ton of guys in the box and dared us to beat them passing.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Alabama needs to get out in front quickly in this game. State will do the same as last year and control the clock. If they are behind early they are out of their comfort zone. Their defensive front is stout so the Alabama OL will be tested.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Seems this MSU team is difficult to figure out.

On the face of it the strategy seems obvious. "Punch Nick Fitzgerald in the mouth anytime he tucks the ball and make him pass."

But something just makes it feel not that simple. He's erratic with his passing but he has been able to do it. It's like the ability is there. And he's not like Burrow or most of the other QB's we've faced this season where he regresses the more you hit him. He's a big strong guy who can take some licks.

Keep in mind that they've also likely downgraded at the coaching position. Dan Mullen punched way above his weight limit there. Despite having maybe the best defense in college football Moorehead has found a way to lose multiple games.

We've seen Fitzgerald hurt us, but I think that was more a byproduct of an excellent gameplan and a completely inept offense on our side of the ball. Factor in our completely depleted defensive personnel and it's no surprise this was a struggle and that we coughed up the following Auburn game.

We are unlikely to have that issue this year. To be honest I'm not even sure how close this one is. I think if we bring back those jet sweeps with Ruggs and Jeudy to negate their D-line rush and occasionally fake those as a sort of play-action pass where Tua can zero in on their secondary I think we see this one over at the half.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He's like Burrow - against sub-par defenses he looks pretty good, but against real defenses, not so much. He's not a serious passing threat.

Last year, Fitzgerald went 13/24 for 158 yards and 0 TDs. MSU only amassed 330 yards of offense. The game was close because the dominated TOP, basically because they put a ton of guys in the box and dared us to beat them passing.
I agree. I was making a different point but it doesn't matter. I think that they will score, but not nearly enough. That is all that really matters.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

So I’m guessing that you agree with me that UGA has a subpar defense

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Seems this MSU team is difficult to figure out.

On the face of it the strategy seems obvious. "Punch Nick Fitzgerald in the mouth anytime he tucks the ball and make him pass."

But something just makes it feel not that simple. He's erratic with his passing but he has been able to do it. It's like the ability is there. And he's not like Burrow or most of the other QB's we've faced this season where he regresses the more you hit him. He's a big strong guy who can take some licks.

Keep in mind that they've also likely downgraded at the coaching position. Dan Mullen punched way above his weight limit there. Despite having maybe the best defense in college football Moorehead has found a way to lose multiple games.

We've seen Fitzgerald hurt us, but I think that was more a byproduct of an excellent gameplan and a completely inept offense on our side of the ball. Factor in our completely depleted defensive personnel and it's no surprise this was a struggle and that we coughed up the following Auburn game.

We are unlikely to have that issue this year. To be honest I'm not even sure how close this one is. I think if we bring back those jet sweeps with Ruggs and Jeudy to negate their D-line rush and occasionally fake those as a sort of play-action pass where Tua can zero in on their secondary I think we see this one over at the half.
Coming out of the LSU game relatively healthy compared to last year was big. Najee may be the only questionable player this week on the team. Like you said, I want this one over at halftime if possible. Don't let them hang around.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest concern I have with this game is that our offense is pretty banged up. I imagine that N. Harris will be limited to unavailable and he's kind of our secret weapon for this late part of the schedule as we could see last weekend. Ruggs and Smith are both still limited and they're significant in allowing Juedy to be a big play threat. Tua is likely to be "quasi pure pocket" quarterback until after the SECCG if I had to guess. Really hurts our ability to move the pocket around to diminish the pass rush. Makes the OL winning their pass protection matchups even more critical.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.