Lets not waste time, MISS ST how bad will we beat them?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Uh no, we have played down a few times. And I'm not a pessimist. But we have looked flat more than a few times against MSU after the LSU game.

IF we are decently healthy and IF we are focused I'll say it's a 42-10 type game. If injuries affect us and our guys are mentally exhausted from this game then 30-17ish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Agreed, not sure what games RT27 has been watching...

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
I was worried about this game earlier in the season, because it follows L8U. However, I think last nights victory was easier than the normal LSU game.

Defense should be fresh, plus the starters haven’t played full games most of the season.

So, I am now thinking this will be an easy win at home. Roll Tide!

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I think we win big. Whether Tua plays into the 2nd half will be more a factor of how healthy Jalen is. I imagine we would have seen Jalen last night if he had been able to come in. I expect a physical game, but I think our offense will score on them and our defense will shut them down.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I am having trouble assessing MSU's secondary because they have not played a quality passing attack this season. They're 4th in the nation at pass efficiency defense, top 20 in rush defense, top 40 in sacks, and top 20 in tackles for loss. I happen to think that they're a more lively opposition to our offense than LSU's defense who got slightly oversold by the media over the previous two weeks. They have at least two NFL starters on their DL and the back seven has been solid this year. They're a better defensive unit overall when you consider all three levels than LSU who is really only A+ in the secondary and B quality in the front seven.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My theory on short-circuiting our offense is being able to cover like LSU could but with at least 1 elite pass rusher who can heat up Tua without having to rush 5 or 6. MSU may be that defense but I'm not sure how to interpret their back end on defense due to competition.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Our offense is banged up and MSU defense is capable, but this is going to be what we saw last night - part 2.

MSU offense is pretty one dimensional...think we'll dominate them on defense. Offense will do their part. I could see this being a game where Tua doesn't play again in the 4th quarter as we go back to the friendly confines of BDS.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
On the secondary of MSU...they have “padded” stats because three of their SEC games have been against three of the worst four passing offenses in the SEC (with MSU rounding out the four).
And just to show how bad the passing offenses in the SEC are, A&M is ranked fourth.
Not sold on their secondary - they aren’t as good as the who crew, and I don’t think it’s close.
DL is another story but we’ll find out how deep they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If the DL is as good as we think it'll be good on good with our OL.

If their DBs are their weak link, I could see Tua lighting them up with some quick hitters and slants and then they'll have a bunch of YAC.

Credit to LSU..we hit a bunch like this but they tackled well enough to limit YAC. Can MSU?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think after the scare at Starkville last season the team will not be looking past MSU in any way. We may not win by as a much as some think but I'd say something in the area of 17 points. LSU scored 19 against their defense so we should score at least 30+. They won't score 30 on us.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think after the scare at Starkville last season the team will not be looking past MSU in any way. We may not win by as a much as some think but I'd say something in the area of 17 points. LSU scored 19 against their defense so we should score at least 30+. They won't score 30 on us.
Not sure but I think LSU scored only one TD on a turnover deep in MSU territory.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
This team damn near beat us last year and a lot of the same players return for them. I hope our guys are ready to go. Glad it's at Bryant Denny.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
“Lets not waste time, MISS ST how bad will we beat them?”

RAT 🐀 POISON! You would be running stadiums till you puked if you were a player. No need to disrespect another team. I’ve watched Mississippi State play Bama for 56 years, and they’ve been able to make the game uncomfortably close to a better Alabama team several times; and beat Alabama in 1980, 1986, 2006, and 2007.

Let's Roll Tide

1st Team
Sep 29, 2003
Denver, CO
I think we win big. Whether Tua plays into the 2nd half will be more a factor of how healthy Jalen is. I imagine we would have seen Jalen last night if he had been able to come in. I expect a physical game, but I think our offense will score on them and our defense will shut them down.
I'd love to see Mac get some playing time. What are his chances with Jalen still being on the mend?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is a tough one. For reasons already cited, I just don't think MSU can score unless we help them. They're even more one-dimensional than LSU. Stop Fitzgerald's run game, and you stop them. I think we can handle that.

But as many have already mentioned, we're banged up on offense -- Ruggs, Smith, N. Harris, Jalen, Tua for sure, and the list is probably longer than that. And for maybe the first time, I don't think Saban is being forthcoming on a topic. Regardless of Saban's statements to the contrary, Tua's leg is clearly not 100%.

I'd love to see Jalen play, starting in the second quarter. But he was in a boot before pre-game warmups, and would have played only in an emergency against LSU. So there's just no way he'll be good to go a week later. Which means Mac Jones is the backup for the second week in a row, and I just don't think he's ready for no-fooling playing time outside of mop-up duty. All of that to say that Tua probably plays longer than any of us would like, and every snap exposes that knee another time.

Plus, it's hard to reach an emotional peak two games in a row. Point being, the point spread opened at 24, and has already moved to 26. I don't think we'll be meaningfully pushed as far as winning the game, but would be moderately surprised if we cover that.

With Citadel coming the following week, I could see us looking ahead to Auburn. By the way, it will be interesting to see how we moderate the emotion for the barn. On the one hand, we want a little payback for last year, so I don't see focus and emotion as being an issue. On the other, UGA awaits only a week later, and we need a full tank for them, too.

Two years of this [***censored***] injury bug is getting old.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
On the secondary of MSU...they have “padded” stats because three of their SEC games have been against three of the worst four passing offenses in the SEC (with MSU rounding out the four).
And just to show how bad the passing offenses in the SEC are, A&M is ranked fourth.
Not sold on their secondary - they aren’t as good as the who crew, and I don’t think it’s close.
DL is another story but we’ll find out how deep they are.

Good analysis. Their DL is very good and very deep - much better than LSU's. It is the best Bama will play until possibly Michigan and/or Clemson. As you imply their secondary is not nearly equal to LSU's. They held LSU to 239 yds of total offense. Their 4 ints killed them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.