Gary Danielson and the "Arrogance" comment

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Thing is, all of these guys do this stuff. Remember, generally speaking, they are talking to an audience that really does not understand the intricacies of the game. So guys like Gary are very helpful to that audience. To the students of the game they sound condescending at times, and their mistakes are glaringly obvious. Consider yourself fortunate that you are among those who really understand the game and do not require the "help" of these announcers and keep in mind that they really are not talking to you - they are talking to the masses.
But he should not indicate his obvious bias toward one team over another. He does. Always has. I completely agree with your comments, but I know that the rub against Danielson is that he 'out and out' coaches for one side or another. He has gotten emotional when the refs didn't penalize Bama where he thought it necessary. And THAT has occured when he himself didn't seem to understand the rule of the infraction. He is one of (if not the best) when he just does his job. But clock watching and play selecting in hopes that Devin White will be back in time to save the day?? Most unprofessional. He DID make a point during all that....but can we all see how ridiculous that effort really was? Just an example. There are worse commentators. Our kids are just as young as the opponents. It is their time in a special environment as well. Just call it fair. At least it wasn't 'Even Les Miles'

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
But he should not indicate his obvious bias toward one team over another. He does. Always has. I completely agree with your comments, but I know that the rub against Danielson is that he 'out and out' coaches for one side or another. He has gotten emotional when the refs didn't penalize Bama where he thought it necessary. And THAT has occured when he himself didn't seem to understand the rule of the infraction. He is one of (if not the best) when he just does his job. But clock watching and play selecting in hopes that Devin White will be back in time to save the day?? Most unprofessional. He DID make a point during all that....but can we all see how ridiculous that effort really was? Just an example. There are worse commentators. Our kids are just as young as the opponents. It is their time in a special environment as well. Just call it fair. At least it wasn't 'Even Les Miles'
All this criticism is just a homer's reaction to normal commentary.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
When people talk about us like that and make the comments they do it Because we're on top. If we weren't on top we wouldn't be hearing it.
That is true. And we don't pay close attention when they are stabbing other schools and their staffs. But that doesn't mean I approve of them doing it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All this criticism is just a homer's reaction to normal commentary.
Yep. LSU fans were killing him on social media for pulling for Alabama at the same time that Alabama fans were killing him for pulling for LSU. We cannot remove our bias.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess. Like when he went off on air about how Mt Cody should have been penalized to allow UT another kick attempt in 2009. Just a homer thing.
Good lord. He explained why he felt that way and apologized when he realized why he was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Very bad choice of words by the opinionated Danielson. Arrogance is thinking more highly of yourself than you should. Bama is a confident and tough football team.... not arrogant.

GA Bamafan

1st Team
Oct 24, 2004
Pell City, AL
He should have said “confidence”. I have a feeling that’s what he meant.
I believe he should have used confidence as well. At first I was disagreeing with his use of arrogance but as he went on he went on I believe he was looking for something that transcends every day confidence.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Thing is, all of these guys do this stuff. Remember, generally speaking, they are talking to an audience that really does not understand the intricacies of the game. So guys like Gary are very helpful to that audience. To the students of the game they sound condescending at times, and their mistakes are glaringly obvious. Consider yourself fortunate that you are among those who really understand the game and do not require the "help" of these announcers and keep in mind that they really are not talking to you - they are talking to the masses.
I'm fully aware that they are talking to the masses. Gary definitely adds knowledge, but I know I have an option to listen to him or mute him. I usually choose to mute him these days; whereas, I used to like the way he called games.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
He meant it as a compliment…..I am probably in the minority here, I enjoy his commentary.
He did mean it as a compliment. Probably used the wrong word, but I think he really meant, "supreme and unshakeable confidence." Arrogance comes with a connotation of a sense of entitlement. Saban eliminates entitlement as well as any coach ever has.

And I also enjoy his commentary. Never fail to learn something from Gary. We may be in the minority on that, but there's at least two of us, so neither is alone.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Yep. LSU fans were killing him on social media for pulling for Alabama at the same time that Alabama fans were killing him for pulling for LSU. We cannot remove our bias.
I don't think he's biased I just think he needs to come up with something new. Quit harping on something. Say it once, make your point, and move on.
I personally like Herbstreit. To me he makes his point and that's that. Most times he seems very neutral. I'm sure there are fans that don't think that however.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Or just listen to Eli & Co. Although the time delay can present a problem.

BTW, JPW seems to be growing into his role.
I always try to find a radio broadcast by Eli & Co. on XM Radio. I can get all of the home games on the SEC Channels. And when they are away (such as at Red Stick) I was able to pick it up on the ESPN Channel. I was hearing the play before I was seeing it on DirectTV. I like that much better...I know when to cover my eyes.:biggrin2:

Roll Tide!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He did mean it as a compliment. Probably used the wrong word, but I think he really meant, "supreme and unshakeable confidence." Arrogance comes with a connotation of a sense of entitlement. Saban eliminates entitlement as well as any coach ever has.

And I also enjoy his commentary. Never fail to learn something from Gary. We may be in the minority on that, but there's at least two of us, so neither is alone.
Make that three of us. I have always liked Gary as a commentator for the SEC games. Yes, he can sometimes go over the top on a player, a team or a particular play, but I find him to be unbiased. Maybe he used the wrong word, but IMO there is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, I abhor the word swagger. Oh, without Gary how would we know who gets the second half kickoff???????

ETA When I reach the point of not wanting to hear him, ba bam
the Mute button.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think Gary hopes for a very close and competitive game and I can’t blame him for that. If I were doing color for a Big 10 game, I would be the same. He knows the game. That’s for sure. RTR

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
I still see nothing wrong with Gary. I find he treats all teams equally. His job isn’t to blow smoke up a team’s butt all game.
There aren't many voices for college football these days. He's the tops.
I wish we had some of the ole voices still, but they're gone.
So we've got him. I'm okay with him too, but ...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think it would be great if people would realize that:

1. He's not there to cheer for Alabama.

2. He's there to create drama to keep people watching.

3. He is there as an "inside" voice for the X's and O's of the game.

I like Gary.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
It's also okay for folks to start a thread to comment on when he makes idiotic statements like 'Alabama plays with arrogance.'

I don't mind listening to him, either. He knows the game and does a good job of preparing for the games he calls. But he also has a tendency to drone on and on and on about certain things and players. And sometimes makes comments that are a bit out of whack.

When Bama completely suffocates the #3 team in the country, we've gotta have something to talk about . . . :)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It's also okay for folks to start a thread to comment on when he makes idiotic statements like 'Alabama plays with arrogance.'

I don't mind listening to him, either. He knows the game and does a good job of preparing for the games he calls. But he also has a tendency to drone on and on and on about certain things and players. And sometimes makes comments that are a bit out of whack.

When Bama completely suffocates the #3 team in the country, we've gotta have something to talk about . . . :)
Didn't think it was "idiotic". Football isn't about being "Humble and Kind"! :)

Imposing one's will is what we do! That is Arrogance!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.