Gary Danielson and the "Arrogance" comment

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I remember the fear some here had of all those INTs he was going to throw... :D
I was one of those fearing that, or, more accurately, surmising (without any evidence, I hasten to add) that the reason he was not starting over Jalen last year was that he might be exhibiting a carelessness with the ball in practice. His pick in the national championship game was fairly careless, but I am pleased to see carelessness this year has not been a problem. Quite the contrary.

I hate a turnover as much as anybody. I don't know how many football games I have seen where one team was having its way with their opponent, and then, after one fumble or pick, everything turns around and the other team wins the game. Turnovers kill.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I took it to mean Tua will pull the trigger on a difficult throw with no fear.
Yeah, we all know what he means. But he's using the wrong word and it doesn't really mean what he thinks it means. There used to be a comedian whose whole routine was misusing words like that. I can't think of his name, but he was really funny.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Danielson is OK but after 5 or 6 Devin White comments I had enough.

I don’t want to mute the game, but it’d be nice if we had the option to mute the announcers.

My my favorite announcers have always been homers. Why doesn’t CBS just air the game with your choice of Eli or Cajun Mouth? It’d be great. One of the reasons I loved Harry Carey was he made the game like you were watching with your best friend while splitting a 6 pack of Bud.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I was one of those fearing that, or, more accurately, surmising (without any evidence, I hasten to add) that the reason he was not starting over Jalen last year was that he might be exhibiting a carelessness with the ball in practice. His pick in the national championship game was fairly careless, but I am pleased to see carelessness this year has not been a problem. Quite the contrary.

I hate a turnover as much as anybody. I don't know how many football games I have seen where one team was having its way with their opponent, and then, after one fumble or pick, everything turns around and the other team wins the game. Turnovers kill.
Just ask Jimbo! :smile:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah, we all know what he means. But he's using the wrong word and it doesn't really mean what he thinks it means. There used to be a comedian whose whole routine was misusing words like that. I can't think of his name, but he was really funny.
What word do you suggest he use? It’s true same as saying a kicker has ice in his veins or a basketball player has “onions” when he drains a big shot in the Tournament.

I didn’t know we had so many wordsmiths on here, and I’ve been accused of being the chief of the Grammar Police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it would be great if people would realize that:

1. He's not there to cheer for Alabama.

2. He's there to create drama to keep people watching.

3. He is there as an "inside" voice for the X's and O's of the game.

I like Gary.
There is more money in him adding intrigue to the upset possibility than lovingly listing all the ways Alabama Football Is Amazing. We don't have to be served by them any other way than providing the game because we'll be there paying his salary even if you have him on mute. The national audience is the only audience he's there for and they're sick of hearing about how great Alabama is...to the point that they're gonna just bail if the color guy is giving them all the hints that there is no hope.

I find him to be unoffending and relatively knowledgable. If you have a problem with him not wearing kneepads for our team, you need to move on to Eli and JPW.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I love listening to Danielson for the most part, and I think he brings insight that is comparable to Aikman's and Collinsworth's coverage of the NFL games. I think Danielson actually enjoys covering Alabama games and appreciates the greatness that he is watching. It's similar to when he covered Florida games under Tebow and he would gush about them.

There was one instance on Saturday that bothered me though, Najee had just gotten hurt and had to be assisted off the field. Danielson said something like "oh well, they have 2 other five stars to replace him, they will be fine." I get that he wasn't necessarily trying to make light of Najee's injury, but I do think it was inappropriate given we had no idea how severe the injury was at the time and it looked pretty bad at the moment.
Agreed. And frankly, no player is simply "replaced." There isn't another Najee Harris on the team. That is what made last year so amazing; to lose so many to injury and still win it all. You can have all the 5 stars, but they still have to be prepared. I guarantee you it's amazingly difficult, and it's why CNS is the absolute best there is.

Ultimately I'm fine with Gary. I do think he wishes someone out there would challenge us. Any neutral observer would rather the games be nail biters.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Now add to that Uncle Verne's flaws and it's why many SEC fans wanted to throw their tv through the window Saturday after Saturday. Minus Verne and his "slip ups" Danielson is much more tolerable, at least for me. Verne's mispronouncing names, combining names of two players when trying to name a player, getting the head coach wrong of one of the teams' playing in the game with a game he called the week before. Or my favorite, forgetting where the game was being played. One of the games in which we were playing Arkansas in Tuscaloosa, on the opening of the CBS broadcast Verne blast out "WELCOME TO BEAUTIFUL FAYATTEVILLE ARKANSAS!". Yet the game was being played in Tuscaloosa.
When CNS returned to Tiger Stadium for the first time as Alabama's coach in 2008, there was a play in the second half, where Cory Reamer forced Jarrett Lee out of bounds. Verne, without hesitation, said, "Nice play by Rolando McClain".

Not sure how you can confuse Cory Reamer with Rolando McClain, but it happened.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
What word do you suggest he use? It’s true same as saying a kicker has ice in his veins or a basketball player has “onions” when he drains a big shot in the Tournament.

I didn’t know we had so many wordsmiths on here, and I’ve been accused of being the chief of the Grammar Police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps he's saying "conscious" and I'm just not hearing him correctly. Conscious means being aware of one's surroundings or being concerned or worried about something. So if he has no conscious, then he's not aware of his surroundings or not worried about the outcome. But that's not a good word, either. I do think he's very aware and concerned about the outcome.

It would be better to simply say that Tua throws with extreme confidence, or with little doubt that he can make the play, or without hesitation, or something like that. Conscience (or conscious) is not the right word.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Perhaps he's saying "conscious" and I'm just not hearing him correctly. Conscious means being aware of one's surroundings or being concerned or worried about something. So if he has no conscious, then he's not aware of his surroundings or not worried about the outcome. But that's not a good word, either. I do think he's very aware and concerned about the outcome.

It would be better to simply say that Tua throws with extreme confidence, or with little doubt that he can make the play, or without hesitation, or something like that. Conscience (or conscious) is not the right word.
Regardless, did you know what he was trying to convey? Or did it truly confuse you?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
When CNS returned to Tiger Stadium for the first time as Alabama's coach in 2008, there was a play in the second half, where Cory Reamer forced Jarrett Lee out of bounds. Verne, without hesitation, said, "Nice play by Rolando McClain".

Not sure how you can confuse Cory Reamer with Rolando McClain, but it happened.
Verne has had some doozies over the years. If I remember correctly he used to be bad about mispronouncing Rolando's name as "Rocardo McCain" or something like that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Verne has had some doozies over the years. If I remember correctly he used to be bad about mispronouncing Rolando's name as "Rocardo McCain" or something like that.
There was definitely an "Orlando McCain" used over the years. I also remember "Freddie Road."

Regardless, I miss Uncle Verne. He had a way of conveying the excitement of the moment unlike any other and he seemed so joyful just to be there.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
And if you listen to some of his personal interviews he'd tell you the same thing about himself. If you listen to an announcer long enough you realize they all have a "style", a pattern of repetitive phrases and words they use. I've now listened to Todd Blackledge long enough that there are somethings about his style that irritate me. He'll say the exact same thing in same situations every game and will harp on them, especially if he feels it is impacting the game. But overall the guy is a good analyst. Herbie (and Fowler) are the same way. I think for SEC fans Uncle Verne was the same way. We get the same people just about every week, we get so familiar with them we can just about tell you what they're going to say in any given situation in a game. My brother in law is a big 12 fan and he has the same complaints about the announcers who call their games. It's the nature of the broadcasting format of college football.
Maybe because I was younger, it never felt that way about Jackson and Broyles.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.