Gary Danielson and the "Arrogance" comment

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I looked for the exact quote.....but couldn't find it.....

I haven't seen much talk about how Bama players are playing with an earned "arrogance" that he's only seen a couple of times before:

Florida State in their Heyday
USCw during the Bush years....

I haven't seen that..... I wonder if he's referring to our confidence to run any play at any time.....

Thoughts?

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I looked for the exact quote.....but couldn't find it.....

I haven't seen much talk about how Bama players are playing with an earned "arrogance" that he's only seen a couple of times before:

Florida State in their Heyday
USCw during the Bush years....

I haven't seen that..... I wonder if he's referring to our confidence to run any play at any time.....

Thoughts?
I can't remember it exactly, but he also threw Miami in there during their heyday. I didn't appreciate being associated with Thug U. I don't see BAMA playing with arrogance, they are just confident in what they can do.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I didn't mind the comment, to be honest. I don't think Gary meant that Alabama has a sense of entitlement. When Bama steps onto the field, they know that they are supposed to win and there is a 99.999999999% chance that they will. They don't have the attitude of the 1980's Miami Hurricanes or the Hollywood flash of Pete Carroll's Trojans. They have the quiet intimidation factor which, I must admit, is a lot nicer than the constant in-your-face bragging of past teams. That is just my two cents. What I do know is that I am enjoying the heck out of this current Alabama run and I appreciate all of the hard work of Coach Saban and our players!!

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Yeah, he definitely said the word arrogance several times. I didn’t take it as a negative. I thought he meant that we knew we could do whatever we wanted and played that way. It was interchangeable with swagger for him.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Oh, I'm quite sure he used the word Arrogance. It was toward the end of the game....I'll see if I can find it.
He did indeed use the term "playing with arrogance" I took it as a complementary comment. I took it as meaning playing like we know that we can dominate you!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
He didn’t say arrogance. I think he said Bama had a swagger about them. Definitely wasn’t arrogance.
I believe he did say exactly that Bro. I am going to watch it again to be sure he was talking about Bama players, but he did use that word. I will do that tomorrow. The wife is football fed-up for today.

krs4bama

Nov 27, 2017
He meant it as a compliment…..I am probably in the minority here, I enjoy his commentary.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He definitely used the word arrogance. I had to explain to my two teenage daughters what I THINK he was trying to mean by using that word.
He really used the wrong word. He used an even worse comparison. Miami of the 80's and Florida State of the 90's did not just play with arrogance they were in your face about it and loud about it. I have not seen any Alabama player show this "arrogance" in any interview at all during this entire run.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
He really used the wrong word. He used an even worse comparison. Miami of the 80's and Florida State of the 90's did not just play with arrogance they were in your face about it and loud about it. I have not seen any Alabama player show this "arrogance" in any interview at all during this entire run.
Exactly. Totally agree. That's what I told my kids. They were in total defense mode that our guys aren't arrogant. His use of words and analogy were just really bad.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I wouldn't mind being called arrogant if we played liked Bama.

That was meant as a compliment - as in they feel they deserve to win because they are so dang good.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It is getting so (to me anyway) that listening to gary is almost as annoying as Breath Moowins.........he tends to beat a horse to death then beat it some more. again just my 2 cents.
I agree Gary does beat the horse to death but he does bring a tremendous knowledge of football and has a tremendous memory of the games he has covered. I will take him any day over most of the ESPN crews except Herbstreit who is also very knowledgeable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.