What would USC be like had they gone with Orgeron instead of Sarkisian

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have to say Ive been very surprised of the level of success Oeaux has had at LSU. He has instilled confidence in LSU and they are one of the most physical teams in the nation. A lot of it could be due to Arranda, but I think Oeaux is clearly a better HC than what he was at Ole Miss.

But what if USC took the interim tag off of him after a pretty good season instead of going through the dumpster fire known as Steve Sarkisian. Would USC be relevant?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is too low brow for that school. Since he would not have been accepted by the boosters, it would never have worked.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I recall that USC was on a winning spree AFTER he took over, but I didn't know the inside causes other than SS was gone. He might have been an upgrade with the talent he had, but I think that was never going to happen for him there. The players lobbied for him. His players at Ole Miss did also. Players love that guy. But if O had been hired?? I think he would have built a good staff and recruited great players and would have eventually lost control of the whole thing. I guess he is learning as he gets older too. I just know that is what he did at OM and he was a recruiter at UT as well. Imagine what might of happened in a talent-rich environment like Southern Cal.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I recall that USC was on a winning spree AFTER he took over, but I didn't know the inside causes other than SS was gone. He might have been an upgrade with the talent he had, but I think that was never going to happen for him there. The players lobbied for him. His players at Ole Miss did also. Players love that guy. But if O had been hired?? I think he would have built a good staff and recruited great players and would have eventually lost control of the whole thing. I guess he is learning as he gets older too. I just know that is what he did at OM and he was a recruiter at UT as well. Imagine what might of happened in a talent-rich environment like Southern Cal.
Lane Kiffin was fired and he got the interim tag. They hired Sark before the bowl game, and Oeaux got hacked off and refused to coach the bowl game and jetted to LSU thinking he did enough to earn consideration for the job.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The boosters on the left coast would not be able to understand anything he says. Can't you just imagine a press conference. "Coach O. can you repeat what you just said? Coach O. can you repeat that again? Coach O. do you have a degree from a school of higher learning?"

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Coach O is a great fit for LSU. He is one of them. They love him, he understands the culture, and will most likely do well as long as they keep him there. Will he win a NC? Probably not. But I don't think he does quite as well anywhere else as he does there.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Worse than they are now. You or I could win 8 games a year in Baton Rouge with the talent LSU brings in every year. The tigers are good DESPITE Coach Yaw Yaw.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Worse than they are now. You or I could win 8 games a year in Baton Rouge with the talent LSU brings in every year. The tigers are good DESPITE Coach Yaw Yaw.
I disagree. LSU is talented but they are not more talented than UGA. They won that because of coaching.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I disagree slightly only due to Orgeron's increased willingness to delegate. His strengths as a head coach at LSU are as a CEO type figurehead and a recruiter.

I disagree. LSU is talented but they are not more talented than UGA. They won that because of coaching.
Yes but not Coach O's coaching, specifically. Primarily it was Aranda that won that game for them. If they were able to get a top-notch OC in there to run an adequate offensive system, along with Coach O's recruiting prowess, they could remain a force for years to come.

Now, by remaining a force I mean regularly placing second to fourth in the SEC West with a legitimate shot at winning the division once every two to three years, on average.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe, but keep in mind that Fromm is not the kind of QB who can beat LSU's secondary. IMO, GA lost because Fromm played like garbage. GA got blown out because they gave up on the run too early in the game. Had they stayed the course the game would have been much closer, but LSU still wins because GA couldn't stop their run game.

GA's defense is not nearly as good as they were last year.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
You’re right—but that was due to Dave Aranda, not Coach Yaw Yaw. Aranda is probably the best DC in the country.
I think some of y’all are simply giving Orgeron more credit than he deserves and have short memories. He was fired at Ole Miss and fell into the job by default at LSU. What has he done that is so outstanding?

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think He would've struggled with USC. It's hard to win out in west. He probably would've been 7-9 win team each year. It really depends on who he has on staff. If he takes the staff he has now with him to USC, I believe they would be legit team.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
You’re right—but that was due to Dave Aranda, not Coach Yaw Yaw. Aranda is probably the best DC in the country.
I think some of y’all are simply giving Orgeron more credit than he deserves and have short memories. He was fired at Ole Miss and fell into the job by default at LSU. What has he done that is so outstanding?
Hire Dave Aranda? :biggrin2:

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Lane Kiffin was fired and he got the interim tag. They hired Sark before the bowl game, and Oeaux got hacked off and refused to coach the bowl game and jetted to LSU thinking he did enough to earn consideration for the job.
i believe you are correct Sir. The timeline I recall was when Pat Haden met Kiffin at an airport in Arizona, and he did not fly back with the team. Unless I am mistaken...Orgeron was appointed as Interim HC for the remainder of the season. Players responded. Orgeron was not retained. That is what I recall, but certainly not a buff on O, but I agree you are correct. Coach O was hired by Pete Carroll was he not?

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I have said this before, and obviously it is not a revelation to anyone. Orgeron is under immense pressure by the fanbase and donors to beat Saban and Bama. He MAY not be there to see it happen. He may be part of someone else's staff before it does. I just don't think those people will hang with him if he loses even 2 more games to Bama. JMO.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I have said this before, and obviously it is not a revelation to anyone. Orgeron is under immense pressure by the fanbase and donors to beat Saban and Bama. He MAY not be there to see it happen. He may be part of someone else's staff before it does. I just don't think those people will hang with him if he loses even 2 more games to Bama. JMO.
Until Tua graduates I think LSU fans should be ecstatic if their only loss is to Bama. Where O really messed up is losing to Florida too. They could have kept miles if they were happy with 10-2 or 9-3.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Until Tua graduates I think LSU fans should be ecstatic if their only loss is to Bama. Where O really messed up is losing to Florida too. They could have kept miles if they were happy with 10-2 or 9-3.
They thought '18 in BR was their time. They want a reason. Then O goes in there and says 'Hey...we gotta get better players to beat those guys. Did everything we could with maxprotect and could not beat them. Need bigger and better players' Well....their fans didn't know that. But you are spot on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.