Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American REBELZED's Avatar

Re: Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

The fact that they overturned it on review was what really set me off. They were giving them "make-up" calls and no-calls all night thanks to all the caterwauling over White's ejection.

The SEC refs have set a dangerous precedent with this game IMO. By their calls last night, they are basically allowing that if your fanbase and some TV "personality" can raise enough of a stink about a call in a previous game, you can get preferential treatment in your next game...
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    Alabama Coach Nick Saban

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by REBELZED View Post
    The fact that they overturned it on review was what really set me off. They were giving them "make-up" calls and no-calls all night thanks to all the caterwauling over White's ejection.

The SEC refs have set a dangerous precedent with this game IMO. By their calls last night, they are basically allowing that if your fanbase and some TV "personality" can raise enough of a stink about a call in a previous game, you can get preferential treatment in your next game...
    The fact that LSU fans actually believed that the White ejection was an Alabama conspiracy proves out of whack they truly are. Last night crossed the line and as an Alabama graduate and fan it makes me irate beyond words. LSU players were intentionally trying to injure our players without repercussion. I don't know we can do.

BamaNation All-SEC

Well, I thought it was targeting, but I'm sort of glad it was overturned. Ruggs was falling back into the end zone, and Delpit did have his head up, ie didn't seem to lower his head and hit him with crown of the helmet. We got a break very similar to this one with Deonte Thompson against Arkansas. Deonte going in for the tackle and the receiver lowers his head at the same time, so you had helmet to helmet contact. We got the TD, and LSU has no excuses that we only won because they were missing their two best defenders. I'm more concerned with the other play where it looked like Delpit was targeting Tua's knee but got the goodies instead.
    Last edited by Krymsonman; November 4th, 2018 at 06:13 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post

I'm sure this was a "topic" of discussion in the game thread. Don't understand how in the world this wasn't called targeting.

I just have to think this was a "political" decision based on White's controversial call the week before.
    Was it because of that Carville guy???????
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    The fact that LSU fans actually believed that the White ejection was an Alabama conspiracy proves out of whack they truly are. Last night crossed the line and as an Alabama graduate and fan it makes me irate beyond words. LSU players were intentionally trying to injure our players without repercussion. I don't know we can do.
    I do have to admit that I don't think the LSU Tigers were as BAD as the Missouri TIGERS at trying to hurt Bama players.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation First Team

I think the reason stated by Brad/Gary (for no-call) was that Ruggs was not a "defenseless" player. He was making a "football move".

Think Aaron Suttles said it best on Twitter last night - glad Delpit wasn't ejected but have no clue what targeting is.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team

Looked textbook to me, but I knew the whole time they weren't calling it.No statement from the SEC so far concerning the rant on Espn either.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_N_Va View Post
    I think the reason stated by Brad/Gary (for no-call) was that Ruggs was not a "defenseless" player. He was making a "football move".
    Right. Aren't most Offensive guys making football moves? If he had been blasted out of bounds on the sidelines...would there have been a flag?? What is the difference? Ruggs had already scored and the play was near over.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CoastGhost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I'm sure this was a "topic" of discussion in the game thread. Don't understand how in the world this wasn't called targeting.

I just have to think this was a "political" decision based on White's controversial call the week before.
    Technically, targeting was called. James Carville just had it waved off at the SEC review office!

BamaNation All-American GP for Bama's Avatar

Delpit was guilty of targeting and it should not have been overturned.
    Bama 930-319-44 73.6% On the field

2017 NATIONAL CHAMPS!
    26 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Krymsonman View Post
    Well, I thought it was targeting, but I'm sort of glad it was overturned.
    Going to have to disagree with you on this. It was textbook targeting (despite the review room not having the courage to confirm it) and we could've lost Ruggs to a concussion, possibly for weeks. The dude should have been ejected.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenntiderman View Post
    Right. Aren't most Offensive guys making football moves? If he had been blasted out of bounds on the sidelines...would there have been a flag?? What is the difference? Ruggs had already scored and the play was near over.
    "Making a football move" is the dumbest phrase in sports. What other kind of moves would they be making in a football game?
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll