Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Re: Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

It was targeting. Bham office could not possibly take their top 2 denfenders out of this game with the outrage created from Carville over the White ejection. I wonder what Carville was thinking in the 4th qtr on our final scoring drive when we were running it right at White and knocking him on his back.

2. Advertisement

Just one more in a long line of reasons that have helped me make up my mind to not give a dang about anyone else in the SEC. After the reversal of that targetting call and all of the obvious no calls for holding and such.......I don't want to hear about a conspiracy in favor of Alabama. Problem for everyone else is that right now we have the tallent to beat you and the refs .....................................YOU HATE US? THEN MAN UP AND BEAT US. UNTIL THEN JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY FOR SECOND.
    Formerly known as BamaInCummingGa

BamaNation Hall of Fame

LSU partisans got exactly what they wanted from a concerted media effort to play our spineless commish. They wanted a game where only procedural penalties would be called, they got it, they held linemen and interfered with eligible receivers nearly every opportunity, but they still lost 29-0. Imagine how it'd look with a normal whistle? I'm think in the high 40s on our end.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I should have said "how was this not confirmed targeting?" I realize they threw a flag, but on the review it was not upheld/confirmed.

At any rate, it should have been called...even if they believed he was making a football move...he still got blasted in the head with helmet to helmet contact.

FWIW: my understanding of "making a football move" lingo means the offensive player is no longer consider "defenseless" in making the catch.

As stated, it still should have been targeting either way.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    "Making a football move" is the dumbest phrase in sports. What other kind of moves would they be making in a football game?
    They could be "going for the homerun" or "throwing the homerun ball".

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    LSU partisans got exactly what they wanted from a concerted media effort to play our spineless commish. They wanted a game where only procedural penalties would be called, they got it, they held linemen and interfered with eligible receivers nearly every opportunity, but they still lost 29-0. Imagine how it'd look with a normal whistle? I'm think in the high 40s on our end.
    I actually think if they would have tossed Delpit there would have literally been some physical revolt in the stands and/or against Bama fans. The fall out after the game would have been insufferable.

I just don't know how the review officials don't uphold that call on the field based on the replay.

FWIW, I think Gary D. expected Delpit to get ejected to based on what he said.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    "Making a football move" is the dumbest phrase in sports. What other kind of moves would they be making in a football game?
    To me itís ďdefenseless.Ē There is no such thing in football. Youíre taught beginning in JV you have to keep your head on the swivel. Any player at any time can be hit no matter where the ball is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    What we witnessed yesterday was a total disgrace. If life was fair, Alabama itself would receive apologies from the SEC office, ESPN and suspend the officiating crew. People are intentionally trying to derail our championship hopes.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    What we witnessed yesterday was a total disgrace. If life was fair, Alabama itself would receive apologies from the SEC office, ESPN and suspend the officiating crew. People are intentionally trying to derail our championship hopes.
    I agree that the officiating was bad, but the bolded sounds as bad as the conspiracy stuff that the corndogs were spouting. No one is trying to derail Alabama. Lots of people wish that you would lose, but that is because you are on top of the mountain.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I am less conspiratorial on this front. I do think we tend to get hands-off officiating against LSU and to a lesser extent Auburn. This is just a trend I've noticed but it isn't only for us. The SEC definitely sets their officiating up such that they'll get out of the way in the big games for better or worse. LSU and Auburn are typically our bigger games, so this is our "localized" scheduling trend with the general officiating tendency.

I don't know how I feel about it to be quite honest. It hasn't hurt us as much as perplexing or inconsistent whistles.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-SEC

On a related subject, did anyone else hear a whistle being blown from the stands when we had the ball ? It was throwing off our timing.

13. November 4th, 2018, 10:31 PM

Reason
    profanity on linked page

I don't think it was targeting. I think Delpit led with his shoulder, not his head, and was just trying to knock the ball loose. It's football and it's a tough game...at least for now. But it won't be for long. Soon they'll be playing flag football and anytime someone gets knocked off his feet it will be a penalty. That's when I'll quit watching.

Holding by the OL is overlooked unless the defensive player is tackled. Defensive backs get away with pass interference on just about every pass play. We have fair catches on kickoffs. What's next? Football as we know it will be gone soon. Maybe that's okay. It's a brutal sport. But I'll miss it.

I have to admit I lost my mind a little when Tua got hit low on the false start. How that wasnít called roughing I donít know. Even IF they didnít hear the whistle, you cannot go low like that on a QB. Just pathetic the way the refs reacted to certain things. Like they were scared to penalize L8U.