Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting?? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Gallowglas's Avatar

Re: Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

After losing White for targeting, they would have lost their collective minds had that one been called. I do honestly think that played into the decision.
    Dueling Brothers SEC Football Video Blog: Players to Watch for 2018

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I have to admit I lost my mind a little when Tua got hit low on the false start. How that wasnít called roughing I donít know. Even IF they didnít hear the whistle, you cannot go low like that on a QB. Just pathetic the way the refs reacted to certain things. Like they were scared to penalize L8U.
    The targeting being overturned I was ok with. It wasn't intentional (and yes I know that's not part of the rule). But the hit on Tuas goodies was literally and figuratively below the belt. I don't think the player was pushed or tripped, he just went low.
    I also don't believe in conspiracies per se. But there is something to it when Bamas opponents average less penalties when they play Bama. Not sure if that's a concerted effort on refs (have they been told to let teams play) or just a subconscious action/non action.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglas View Post
    After losing White for targeting, they would have lost their collective minds had that one been called. I do honestly think that played into the decision.
    Yeah, at first I thought it WAS targeting. I expected the field to be littered with bottles, paper, crawfish, underwear, etc.

But after seeing the replay, and seeing that most of the impact hit Ruggs' shoulder pad, I was okay with the ruling being overturned. Just glad we didn't have to watch the fan reaction and riot that would have ensued.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I agree that the officiating was bad, but the bolded sounds as bad as the conspiracy stuff that the corndogs were spouting. No one is trying to derail Alabama. Lots of people wish that you would lose, but that is because you are on top of the mountain.
    I do believe that the no calls are a bit intentional. I really do.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

It was absolutely targeting based on the rule.

There is however the case to be made for two different rules, one that's just a penalty and the other being the ejection. This shouldn't warrant an ejection...
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I do believe that the no calls are a bit intentional. I really do.
    I won't go that far. I think that it is a mental thing. When one guy is so much better than another, we simply do not notice things that we should notice. I don't think that refs see holding and decide not to call it. I think that they see it and think that it really did not impact the play and decide to leave the flag in their pocket. Same result, but different intent.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It was absolutely targeting based on the rule.

There is however the case to be made for two different rules, one that's just a penalty and the other being the ejection. This shouldn't warrant an ejection...
    I could agree with that but I thought it was targeting as well. As for the rule I could probably agree there too, but then we could be on a slippery slope.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples! Denzel Devall

I will say this. I was at the game. You would have thought LSU had won the game when that call was overturned. It was embarrassing. It was like we know we are not going to win this game but let’s at least win this moment.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

FWIW...I hate the targeting rule and have argued as much on many other threads.

However, according to the rules, that was targeting. I don't know if I've seen such a clear case get overturned this season. And I'm not into thinking somebody is out to get us either, but I think this was a case of the White ruling affecting the Delpit ruling. And when that starts happening...the rule becomes even more subjective than it already seems!

Quote Originally Posted by skipster63 View Post
    I will say this. I was at the game. You would have thought LSU had won the game when that call was overturned. It was embarrassing. It was like we know we are not going to win this game but let’s at least win this moment.
    We all know that they would have won if Devin White could have played the first half.
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I won't go that far. I think that it is a mental thing. When one guy is so much better than another, we simply do not notice things that we should notice. I don't think that refs see holding and decide not to call it. I think that they see it and think that it really did not impact the play and decide to leave the flag in their pocket. Same result, but different intent.
    All you have to do is watch ESPN to see how badly people want to see Alabama lose. The disparity in penalties controversy has been ongoing for several years now which makes a lot of people draw conclusions. The low hit on Tua was a blatant penalty that should have been called. No two ways about it.

BamaNation All-American

IF your conspiracy theory were true, we would have been left out of last yearís playoffs. We are the biggest name and the biggest ratings driver in the sport. Everybody makes money off of us. Nobody is out to get us besides the teams we play.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    All you have to do is watch ESPN to see how badly people want to see Alabama lose. The disparity in penalties controversy has been ongoing for several years now which makes a lot of people draw conclusions. The low hit on Tua was a blatant penalty that should have been called. No two ways about it.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

If this was not targeting, then it was a late hit that warranted a flag. He had scored and was going to the ground...the player had plenty of time to pull up...this was several yards deep in the end zone.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead