Delpit'***** on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, it was to Alabama’s advantage that the call was overturned. Whether they got it right or wrong, the crowd would have been on the verge of a riot and probably would have started throwing debris on the field had the call not been overturned. The crowd had been worked into a lather for two weeks already and getting the call to go LSU’s way allowed the LSU fans the victory they needed. I realize politics should not play into the decision. However, the reality of the moment was that it was best to overturn the call.

For those that that were at the game, was the crowd as raucous after they calmed down from hearing the call had been overturned?
I agree but that's an awfully slipperly slope...point of the thread!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
On a side note, Tua had his jewels hammered on a dead play. Why did he have to sit out a play? Why was a flag not thrown on that play?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
On a side note, Tua had his jewels hammered on a dead play. Why did he have to sit out a play? Why was a flag not thrown on that play?
Yep - cannot hit the QB below the waist, no matter the circumstances. We even had that called in us once when our defender was pushed down and falling. The hit on Tua was clearly below the waist, as evidenced by his “injury”.

Generally I like Danielson, but his silence on many clear penalties like that sorta chaps me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Yep - cannot hit the QB below the waist, no matter the circumstances. We even had that called in us once when our defender was pushed down and falling. The hit on Tua was clearly below the waist, as evidenced by his “injury”.

Generally I like Danielson, but his silence on many clear penalties like that sorta chaps me.

I wonder if the announcers have rules on what they can and can't say about the officials. I know there were a couple of times during the game where they let something slip about they thought there was holding etc. I know on that one play, where Burrow was running for his life and dumped it to a running back who went about 25 yards with it, they mentioned a crack back block that should have been a penalty. I think they were genuinely surprised when the call was "offsides Alabama". Just more proof that LSU could do anything they wanted, and they would only call the obvious false start or something like that.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
LSU got away with several blatant penalties, the targeting by Delpit, the hit on Tua, the holding by their OL which Gary and Brad both pointed out. Another play looked like pass interference to me when the DB was behind the WR and broke up the play. It appeared to me that he completely had the WR wrapped up and should have been called for PI.

I will add this, I don't like the targeting call and I think they should rework it but as it is written that was (fairly obvious) targeting by Delpit.

Last edited:

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
I won't go that far. I think that it is a mental thing. When one guy is so much better than another, we simply do not notice things that we should notice. I don't think that refs see holding and decide not to call it. I think that they see it and think that it really did not impact the play and decide to leave the flag in their pocket. Same result, but different intent.
I'm beginning to think the same thing. Is Bama so fast that the refs are having a hard time watching everything?

green_knight94

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 26, 2018
I am totally confused now. D. White'***** was not targeting. This was targeting by the SEC / NCAA definition.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
I'm beginning to think the same thing. Is Bama so fast that the refs are having a hard time watching everything?
Probably.... I call HS football and YES... it is hard to catch everything.
BUT... when you have TV and official reviews to fall back on.... NOTHING like this should be missed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Coach O acted like LSU score a TD when they "reversed" the call for targeting. The whole stadium cheered that way too. GD said he was afraid they wouldn't like the replay officials decision. EVERYBODY thought it was targeting.

Total PC from B'ham.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It was targeting. He should have been ejected. I don't care either way, so long as Ruggs is ok.

But, consider this. LSU's OL held all night long, their DBs held and interfered all night long, and their DL lined up offsides almost every play.

And we still stomped a mudhole in them and walked it dry. Nearly 600 total yards of offense, and they didn't hit 200!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I actually think if they would have tossed Delpit there would have literally been some physical revolt in the stands and/or against Bama fans. The fall out after the game would have been insufferable.

I just don't know how the review officials don't uphold that call on the field based on the replay.

FWIW, I think Gary D. expected Delpit to get ejected to based on what he said.
I agree on this. I heard Aaron Suttle who covers Bama say this morning on the radio he was going to be concerned for his well being if they actually tossed Delpit. While the call was not correct it may have been in the best interest of all Bama fans.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It was targeting. He should have been ejected. I don't care either way, so long as Ruggs is ok.

But, consider this. LSU's OL held all night long, their DBs held and interfered all night long, and their DL lined up offsides almost every play.

And we still stomped a mudhole in them and walked it dry. Nearly 600 total yards of offense, and they didn't hit 200!
Agree that LSU was holding all night. Buggs and Quinnen Williams were being held on almost every play as were our receivers. Hope we don't see this trend continue as Auburn makes on living on defense holding receivers. LSU had only 3 penalties the entire game a for 15 yards. We had 6 for 60.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Sure seemed like more than 6! I can think of a couple/3 false starts, a couple off sides, a pass interference and irv's unsportsmanlike...right off the top of my head.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree on this. I heard Aaron Suttle who covers Bama say this morning on the radio he was going to be concerned for his well being if they actually tossed Delpit. While the call was not correct it may have been in the best interest of all Bama fans.
So, the game is to be defiled and debased because LSU fans are threatening to descend to the level of Russian soccer hooligans?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, the game is to be defiled and debased because LSU fans are threatening to descend to the level of Russian soccer hooligans?
I think that we all agree that it shouldn't be. I believe that the officials were intimidated. I was surprised that they threw the flag in the first place. And I think that something needs to be done about that. Because if this is what college football has become then we need to put it out of its misery.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If this is true and they didn’t call targeting because of rowdy fans, then all hope is lost.
How long before other teams adopt this mentality? Fire up the fan base before the big game to the point where the officials are frightened, then you can do anything you want.
Except, in LSU’s case, win. Karma was a herd of elephants.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I saw it as a give-back non-call. They were probably hosed a bit on the D. White call a couple weeks back, so they get away with one here. If this were a holding thing, I would be ok with that. But this is a rule that is supposed to be there in the interest of player safety. So, they should not be flippant about it. But whatever. They got curb stomped either way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.