Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting?? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

LSU got away with several blatant penalties, the targeting by Delpit, the hit on Tua, the holding by their OL which Gary and Brad both pointed out. Another play looked like pass interference to me when the DB was behind the WR and broke up the play. It appeared to me that he completely had the WR wrapped up and should have been called for PI.

I will add this, I don't like the targeting call and I think they should rework it but as it is written that was (fairly obvious) targeting by Delpit.
    Last edited by imauafan; November 5th, 2018 at 11:47 AM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I won't go that far. I think that it is a mental thing. When one guy is so much better than another, we simply do not notice things that we should notice. I don't think that refs see holding and decide not to call it. I think that they see it and think that it really did not impact the play and decide to leave the flag in their pocket. Same result, but different intent.
    I'm beginning to think the same thing. Is Bama so fast that the refs are having a hard time watching everything?

BamaNation Third Team

I am totally confused now. D. White's hit was not targeting. This was targeting by the SEC / NCAA definition.

BamaNation Third Team

I saw the LSU sideline after the hit. You can tell even they thought he was getting ejected .

Quote Originally Posted by TUSCALOOSAHONOR View Post
    I'm beginning to think the same thing. Is Bama so fast that the refs are having a hard time watching everything?
    Probably.... I call HS football and YES... it is hard to catch everything.
    BUT... when you have TV and official reviews to fall back on.... NOTHING like this should be missed.
    ....."The price of victory is high but so are the rewards"....
    Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Coach O acted like LSU score a TD when they "reversed" the call for targeting. The whole stadium cheered that way too. GD said he was afraid they wouldn't like the replay officials decision. EVERYBODY thought it was targeting.

Total PC from B'ham.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

It was targeting. He should have been ejected. I don't care either way, so long as Ruggs is ok.

But, consider this. LSU's OL held all night long, their DBs held and interfered all night long, and their DL lined up offsides almost every play.

And we still stomped a mudhole in them and walked it dry. Nearly 600 total yards of offense, and they didn't hit 200!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I actually think if they would have tossed Delpit there would have literally been some physical revolt in the stands and/or against Bama fans. The fall out after the game would have been insufferable.

I just don't know how the review officials don't uphold that call on the field based on the replay.

FWIW, I think Gary D. expected Delpit to get ejected to based on what he said.
    I agree on this. I heard Aaron Suttle who covers Bama say this morning on the radio he was going to be concerned for his well being if they actually tossed Delpit. While the call was not correct it may have been in the best interest of all Bama fans.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    It was targeting. He should have been ejected. I don't care either way, so long as Ruggs is ok.

But, consider this. LSU's OL held all night long, their DBs held and interfered all night long, and their DL lined up offsides almost every play.

And we still stomped a mudhole in them and walked it dry. Nearly 600 total yards of offense, and they didn't hit 200!
    Agree that LSU was holding all night. Buggs and Quinnen Williams were being held on almost every play as were our receivers. Hope we don't see this trend continue as Auburn makes on living on defense holding receivers. LSU had only 3 penalties the entire game a for 15 yards. We had 6 for 60.

Sure seemed like more than 6! I can think of a couple/3 false starts, a couple off sides, a pass interference and irv's unsportsmanlike...right off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I agree on this. I heard Aaron Suttle who covers Bama say this morning on the radio he was going to be concerned for his well being if they actually tossed Delpit. While the call was not correct it may have been in the best interest of all Bama fans.
    So, the game is to be defiled and debased because LSU fans are threatening to descend to the level of Russian soccer hooligans?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    So, the game is to be defiled and debased because LSU fans are threatening to descend to the level of Russian soccer hooligans?
    I think that we all agree that it shouldn't be. I believe that the officials were intimidated. I was surprised that they threw the flag in the first place. And I think that something needs to be done about that. Because if this is what college football has become then we need to put it out of its misery.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It should not at all but it probably did save some Bama faithful from physical and/or mental thuggery.