Delpit'***** on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don't think it was targeting. I think Delpit led with his shoulder, not his head, and was just trying to knock the ball loose. It's football and it's a tough game...at least for now. But it won't be for long. Soon they'll be playing flag football and anytime someone gets knocked off his feet it will be a penalty. That's when I'll quit watching.

Holding by the OL is overlooked unless the defensive player is tackled. Defensive backs get away with pass interference on just about every pass play. We have fair catches on kickoffs. What's next? Football as we know it will be gone soon. Maybe that's okay. It's a brutal sport. But I'll miss it.
Delpit is the dirtiest player in the SEC. He had every intention of injuring Tua's knee and Ruggs.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think that we all agree that it shouldn't be. I believe that the officials were intimidated. I was surprised that they threw the flag in the first place. And I think that something needs to be done about that. Because if this is what college football has become then we need to put it out of its misery.
If they allowed themselves to be intimidated, they should be fired or at a minimum suspended and then split up when they return.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Yep - cannot hit the QB below the waist, no matter the circumstances. We even had that called in us once when our defender was pushed down and falling. The hit on Tua was clearly below the waist, as evidenced by his “injury”.

Generally I like Danielson, but his silence on many clear penalties like that sorta chaps me.
I think you have this confused with hitting below the knees.

NCAA football rules regarding roughing the passer:

b. When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the
ground, no defensive player rushing unabated shall hit him forcibly at the knee
area or below. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and
forcibly hit this opponent in the knee area or below. [Exceptions. (1) It is not
a foul if the offensive player is a runner not in a passing posture, either inside
or outside the tackle box. (2) It is not a foul if the defender grabs or wraps this
opponent in an attempt to make a conventional tackle. (3) It is not a foul if the
defender is not rushing unabated or is blocked or fouled into this opponent.]

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
I agree the hit on Tua should have been called, but I have seen this happen many times and I don't think I've ever seen the defensive player called for anything.

Regarding the targeting call, I have to agree it was technically targeting. The argument that he had time to move from defenseless to under control doesn't work, because he was entering the end zone as he caught the ball. If this isn't a bang bang play, then the hit is a late hit, and that should have been called as unnecessary roughness.

What is more, Ruggs doesn't duck. He starts to fall, but he doesn't lower his head, he just starts to drop, and he hasn't moved very far when the hit happened. Ultimately, the defensive player went high, which is the reason for the rule. If he had hit lower in the chest area, there wouldn't be a discussion.

All that being said, I have never liked the ejection part of the rule. It is especially a big deal because of the inconsistency. The D. White hit is a perfect example. In reality it was a minor hit, but it was a textbook example of targeting. Just as he gets there he ducks his head and the crown of his helmet hits the QB in the face. He may have hit with his hands first, but crown of helmet to head of QB is going to get called no matter what. Head up and facemark hits, no call. But it was obvious he was pulling up to some extent, which is what makes this a mess. If the hit hadn't been called for targeting, it wouldn't have rated roughing the passer. That is the part that drives me crazy.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Textbook case of Targeting.
LSU got a lot of home cooking Saturday night in Tiger Stadium.

The fact this was targeting had nothing to do with White getting a Targeting call 2 weeks ago. The call should have stood as Targeting.

nickcut

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 3, 2015
Definitely targeting, rule book definition. No question. Defenseless player + leading with crown of helmet + hit above shoulders = targeting. I agree, we all know why this call was reversed.

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Well it was initially called targeting on the field but was overturned by the replay officials. It was most likely overturned because of the previous 2 weeks garbage. I did notice that unlike every other targeting call this year, Brad and Gary made no comment at all as to whether they believed it was targeting or not.
That's right about Brad and Gary... Normally in a game they'll go back to it 4 or 5 times and show how and why it was targeting, and they didn't. They KNEW it was targeting and the refs call was so they could get out of "Red Stick" without any controversy. Because you know LSU fans would've been screaming bias towards us. But, it should've stuck. But, it didn't matter, we whipped their collective butts up and down the field anyways. That's the Bama D I've been waiting to see all year.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I keep seeing the "it didn't matter" comment...but it DOES matter. It continues the precedence that has been set and there will be a non-call, reversal or made versus bama that will matter and cost us a game, or more importantly, a player (due to injury).

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
They can target and it still did not help them. Made the TD and Ruggs popped right up. Not only are our guys good they are tough as nails.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
It has become pretty common for these LSU games to be among the most under officiated games we play all year. Auburn is usually the other one. We get a normal whistle against most everyone else but even then we almost never get the holding calls we should on our DL.
And you really gotta watch that Auburn game when it's Jordan Hare. It is quite obvious many times, not just against Bama, that they get some serious home field advantage there. Lone exception I've seen? THIS SEASON AGAINST LSU, ironically.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
It was targeting. He should have been ejected. I don't care either way, so long as Ruggs is ok.

But, consider this. LSU's OL held all night long, their DBs held and interfered all night long, and their DL lined up offsides almost every play.

And we still stomped a mudhole in them and walked it dry. Nearly 600 total yards of offense, and they didn't hit 200!

I believe Buggs and Davis are still being held down there now.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
There was no "passer." The play had been blown dead seconds before. It was a dead ball personal foul under the rules...
I agree but my point was there is no rule restricting a player from hitting the QB below the waist while there is something about hitting below the knees. The only thing I could figure was Snuffy was confusing this with the rule about forcibly hitting an offensive player that is in passing posture below the knees.

There may have been a foul for leading with the helmet and maybe a foul for hitting after the whistle but there was not a foul for hitting below the waist.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I agree but my point was there is no rule restricting a player from hitting the QB below the waist while there is something about hitting below the knees. The only thing I could figure was Snuffy was confusing this with the rule about forcibly hitting an offensive player that is in passing posture below the knees.

There may have been a foul for leading with the helmet and maybe a foul for hitting after the whistle but there was not a foul for hitting below the waist.
Well I heard their explanation but if anybody on the field knew the whistle had blown it would have been the Refs. Yet here came the DB at warp speed.But your point is about where the hit was placed. Would have been interesting had M. Wilson (Because Carville used his number and name)made that same hit on Burrow. I promise you that there would have been an entirely different explanation and action taken. Not whining. Just saying that those Refs feared the frenzy that Carville started. I agree with what you say, and Tide-HSV is completely correct. Haven't heard an explanation from anyone anywhere who is in officiating as to why that game was handled in that manner. Talk about a destructive practice to manage College Football? If that continues due to fan intimidation..we might be watching who knows what in the future.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.