Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting?? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Delpit's Hit on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    So, the game is to be defiled and debased because LSU fans are threatening to descend to the level of Russian soccer hooligans?
    If this is true and they didn’t call targeting because of rowdy fans, then all hope is lost.
    How long before other teams adopt this mentality? Fire up the fan base before the big game to the point where the officials are frightened, then you can do anything you want.
    Except, in LSU’s case, win. Karma was a herd of elephants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

I saw it as a give-back non-call. They were probably hosed a bit on the D. White call a couple weeks back, so they get away with one here. If this were a holding thing, I would be ok with that. But this is a rule that is supposed to be there in the interest of player safety. So, they should not be flippant about it. But whatever. They got curb stomped either way.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I don't think it was targeting. I think Delpit led with his shoulder, not his head, and was just trying to knock the ball loose. It's football and it's a tough game...at least for now. But it won't be for long. Soon they'll be playing flag football and anytime someone gets knocked off his feet it will be a penalty. That's when I'll quit watching.

Holding by the OL is overlooked unless the defensive player is tackled. Defensive backs get away with pass interference on just about every pass play. We have fair catches on kickoffs. What's next? Football as we know it will be gone soon. Maybe that's okay. It's a brutal sport. But I'll miss it.
    Delpit is the dirtiest player in the SEC. He had every intention of injuring Tua's knee and Ruggs.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that we all agree that it shouldn't be. I believe that the officials were intimidated. I was surprised that they threw the flag in the first place. And I think that something needs to be done about that. Because if this is what college football has become then we need to put it out of its misery.
    If they allowed themselves to be intimidated, they should be fired or at a minimum suspended and then split up when they return.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Yep - cannot hit the QB below the waist, no matter the circumstances. We even had that called in us once when our defender was pushed down and falling. The hit on Tua was clearly below the waist, as evidenced by his “injury”.

Generally I like Danielson, but his silence on many clear penalties like that sorta chaps me.
    I think you have this confused with hitting below the knees.

NCAA football rules regarding roughing the passer:

b. When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the
    ground, no defensive player rushing unabated shall hit him forcibly at the knee
    area or below. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and
    forcibly hit this opponent in the knee area or below. [Exceptions. (1) It is not
    a foul if the offensive player is a runner not in a passing posture, either inside
    or outside the tackle box. (2) It is not a foul if the defender grabs or wraps this
    opponent in an attempt to make a conventional tackle. (3) It is not a foul if the
    defender is not rushing unabated or is blocked or fouled into this opponent.]

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I think you have this confused with hitting below the knees.

NCAA football rules regarding roughing the passer:
    There was no "passer." The play had been blown dead seconds before. It was a dead ball personal foul under the rules...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I agree the hit on Tua should have been called, but I have seen this happen many times and I don't think I've ever seen the defensive player called for anything.

Regarding the targeting call, I have to agree it was technically targeting. The argument that he had time to move from defenseless to under control doesn't work, because he was entering the end zone as he caught the ball. If this isn't a bang bang play, then the hit is a late hit, and that should have been called as unnecessary roughness.

What is more, Ruggs doesn't duck. He starts to fall, but he doesn't lower his head, he just starts to drop, and he hasn't moved very far when the hit happened. Ultimately, the defensive player went high, which is the reason for the rule. If he had hit lower in the chest area, there wouldn't be a discussion.

All that being said, I have never liked the ejection part of the rule. It is especially a big deal because of the inconsistency. The D. White hit is a perfect example. In reality it was a minor hit, but it was a textbook example of targeting. Just as he gets there he ducks his head and the crown of his helmet hits the QB in the face. He may have hit with his hands first, but crown of helmet to head of QB is going to get called no matter what. Head up and facemark hits, no call. But it was obvious he was pulling up to some extent, which is what makes this a mess. If the hit hadn't been called for targeting, it wouldn't have rated roughing the passer. That is the part that drives me crazy.
    Pat Dye: "Lord, why did you tell me to run right?"

Lord: "I don't know. Bear, why did we tell Pat to run right?"

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Textbook case of Targeting.
    LSU got a lot of home cooking Saturday night in Tiger Stadium.

The fact this was targeting had nothing to do with White getting a Targeting call 2 weeks ago. The call should have stood as Targeting.

BamaNation Third Team

Definitely targeting, rule book definition. No question. Defenseless player + leading with crown of helmet + hit above shoulders = targeting. I agree, we all know why this call was reversed.
    Last edited by nickcut; November 6th, 2018 at 07:58 AM.

BamaNation All-SEC dadleyblane5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Well it was initially called targeting on the field but was overturned by the replay officials. It was most likely overturned because of the previous 2 weeks garbage. I did notice that unlike every other targeting call this year, Brad and Gary made no comment at all as to whether they believed it was targeting or not.
    That's right about Brad and Gary... Normally in a game they'll go back to it 4 or 5 times and show how and why it was targeting, and they didn't. They KNEW it was targeting and the refs call was so they could get out of "Red Stick" without any controversy. Because you know LSU fans would've been screaming bias towards us. But, it should've stuck. But, it didn't matter, we whipped their collective butts up and down the field anyways. That's the Bama D I've been waiting to see all year.
    Last edited by dadleyblane5; November 6th, 2018 at 08:13 AM.

I keep seeing the "it didn't matter" comment...but it DOES matter. It continues the precedence that has been set and there will be a non-call, reversal or made versus bama that will matter and cost us a game, or more importantly, a player (due to injury).

BamaNation All-SEC

They can target and it still did not help them. Made the TD and Ruggs popped right up. Not only are our guys good they are tough as nails.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    It has become pretty common for these LSU games to be among the most under officiated games we play all year. Auburn is usually the other one. We get a normal whistle against most everyone else but even then we almost never get the holding calls we should on our DL.
    And you really gotta watch that Auburn game when it's Jordan Hare. It is quite obvious many times, not just against Bama, that they get some serious home field advantage there. Lone exception I've seen? THIS SEASON AGAINST LSU, ironically.