Delpit'***** on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I think the reason stated by Brad/Gary (for no-call) was that Ruggs was not a "defenseless" player. He was making a "football move".
Right. Aren't most Offensive guys making football moves? If he had been blasted out of bounds on the sidelines...would there have been a flag?? What is the difference? Ruggs had already scored and the play was near over.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I'm sure this was a "topic" of discussion in the game thread. Don't understand how in the world this wasn't called targeting.

I just have to think this was a "political" decision based on White's controversial call the week before.
Technically, targeting was called. James Carville just had it waved off at the SEC review office!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Well, I thought it was targeting, but I'm sort of glad it was overturned.
Going to have to disagree with you on this. It was textbook targeting (despite the review room not having the courage to confirm it) and we could've lost Ruggs to a concussion, possibly for weeks. The dude should have been ejected.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Right. Aren't most Offensive guys making football moves? If he had been blasted out of bounds on the sidelines...would there have been a flag?? What is the difference? Ruggs had already scored and the play was near over.
"Making a football move" is the dumbest phrase in sports. What other kind of moves would they be making in a football game?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It was targeting. Bham office could not possibly take their top 2 denfenders out of this game with the outrage created from Carville over the White ejection. I wonder what Carville was thinking in the 4th qtr on our final scoring drive when we were running it right at White and knocking him on his back.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Just one more in a long line of reasons that have helped me make up my mind to not give a dang about anyone else in the SEC. After the reversal of that targetting call and all of the obvious no calls for holding and such.......I don't want to hear about a conspiracy in favor of Alabama. Problem for everyone else is that right now we have the tallent to beat you and the refs .....................................YOU HATE US? THEN MAN UP AND BEAT US. UNTIL THEN JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY FOR SECOND.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU partisans got exactly what they wanted from a concerted media effort to play our spineless commish. They wanted a game where only procedural penalties would be called, they got it, they held linemen and interfered with eligible receivers nearly every opportunity, but they still lost 29-0. Imagine how it'd look with a normal whistle? I'm think in the high 40s on our end.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I should have said "how was this not confirmed targeting?" I realize they threw a flag, but on the review it was not upheld/confirmed.

At any rate, it should have been called...even if they believed he was making a football move...he still got blasted in the head with helmet to helmet contact.

FWIW: my understanding of "making a football move" lingo means the offensive player is no longer consider "defenseless" in making the catch.

As stated, it still should have been targeting either way.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
LSU partisans got exactly what they wanted from a concerted media effort to play our spineless commish. They wanted a game where only procedural penalties would be called, they got it, they held linemen and interfered with eligible receivers nearly every opportunity, but they still lost 29-0. Imagine how it'd look with a normal whistle? I'm think in the high 40s on our end.
I actually think if they would have tossed Delpit there would have literally been some physical revolt in the stands and/or against Bama fans. The fall out after the game would have been insufferable.

I just don't know how the review officials don't uphold that call on the field based on the replay.

FWIW, I think Gary D. expected Delpit to get ejected to based on what he said.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
"Making a football move" is the dumbest phrase in sports. What other kind of moves would they be making in a football game?
To me it’s “defenseless.” There is no such thing in football. You’re taught beginning in JV you have to keep your head on the swivel. Any player at any time can be hit no matter where the ball is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
What we witnessed yesterday was a total disgrace. If life was fair, Alabama itself would receive apologies from the SEC office, ESPN and suspend the officiating crew. People are intentionally trying to derail our championship hopes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What we witnessed yesterday was a total disgrace. If life was fair, Alabama itself would receive apologies from the SEC office, ESPN and suspend the officiating crew. People are intentionally trying to derail our championship hopes.
I agree that the officiating was bad, but the bolded sounds as bad as the conspiracy stuff that the corndogs were spouting. No one is trying to derail Alabama. Lots of people wish that you would lose, but that is because you are on top of the mountain.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I am less conspiratorial on this front. I do think we tend to get hands-off officiating against LSU and to a lesser extent Auburn. This is just a trend I've noticed but it isn't only for us. The SEC definitely sets their officiating up such that they'll get out of the way in the big games for better or worse. LSU and Auburn are typically our bigger games, so this is our "localized" scheduling trend with the general officiating tendency.

I don't know how I feel about it to be quite honest. It hasn't hurt us as much as perplexing or inconsistent whistles.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
On a related subject, did anyone else hear a whistle being blown from the stands when we had the ball ? It was throwing off our timing.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I don't think it was targeting. I think Delpit led with his shoulder, not his head, and was just trying to knock the ball loose. It's football and it's a tough game...at least for now. But it won't be for long. Soon they'll be playing flag football and anytime someone gets knocked off his feet it will be a penalty. That's when I'll quit watching.

Holding by the OL is overlooked unless the defensive player is tackled. Defensive backs get away with pass interference on just about every pass play. We have fair catches on kickoffs. What's next? Football as we know it will be gone soon. Maybe that's okay. It's a brutal sport. But I'll miss it.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I have to admit I lost my mind a little when Tua got hit low on the false start. How that wasn’t called roughing I don’t know. Even IF they didn’t hear the whistle, you cannot go low like that on a QB. Just pathetic the way the refs reacted to certain things. Like they were scared to penalize L8U.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.