Delpit'***** on Ruggs: How Was This Not Targeting??

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm sure this was a "topic" of discussion in the game thread. Don't understand how in the world this wasn't called targeting.

I just have to think this was a "political" decision based on White's controversial call the week before.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

The more I watch -- the more I think that Irv's kick of Delpit after the TD was payback for the attempt to take out Tua's knees at the beginning of the game. Great video BTW --

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It was targeting. Officiating wasn't going to do anything but call procedural stuff on LSU after they showed their asses for two weeks. Still beat the breaks off em despite an abundantly favorable officiating situation for a home underdog.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It most definitely was targeting!!!

I think the refs feared for their lives... :rolleye2:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
It was targeting. Officiating wasn't going to do anything but call procedural stuff on LSU after they showed their asses for two weeks. Still beat the breaks off em despite an abundantly favorable officiating situation for a home underdog.
Yeah, Carville got into their heads, and they decided to slow play it.................

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It has become pretty common for these LSU games to be among the most under officiated games we play all year. Auburn is usually the other one. We get a normal whistle against most everyone else but even then we almost never get the holding calls we should on our DL.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Proud of the win yesterday but the officiating, politics and media coverage surrounding it were disgraceful. People need to be held accountable.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well it was initially called targeting on the field but was overturned by the replay officials. It was most likely overturned because of the previous 2 weeks garbage. I did notice that unlike every other targeting call this year, Brad and Gary made no comment at all as to whether they believed it was targeting or not.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
It has become pretty common for these LSU games to be among the most under officiated games we play all year. Auburn is usually the other one. We get a normal whistle against most everyone else but even then we almost never get the holding calls we should on our DL.
Has to be back room politics. People don't want us to keep winning.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Well it was initially called targeting on the field but was overturned by the replay officials. It was most likely overturned because of the previous 2 weeks garbage. I did notice that unlike every other targeting call this year, Brad and Gary made no comment at all as to whether they believed it was targeting or not.
Everyone is against us. Yesterday proved it. I don't know what we can do about it.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
The fact that they overturned it on review was what really set me off. They were giving them "make-up" calls and no-calls all night thanks to all the caterwauling over White's ejection.

The SEC refs have set a dangerous precedent with this game IMO. By their calls last night, they are basically allowing that if your fanbase and some TV "personality" can raise enough of a stink about a call in a previous game, you can get preferential treatment in your next game...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
The fact that they overturned it on review was what really set me off. They were giving them "make-up" calls and no-calls all night thanks to all the caterwauling over White's ejection.

The SEC refs have set a dangerous precedent with this game IMO. By their calls last night, they are basically allowing that if your fanbase and some TV "personality" can raise enough of a stink about a call in a previous game, you can get preferential treatment in your next game...
The fact that LSU fans actually believed that the White ejection was an Alabama conspiracy proves out of whack they truly are. Last night crossed the line and as an Alabama graduate and fan it makes me irate beyond words. LSU players were intentionally trying to injure our players without repercussion. I don't know we can do.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, I thought it was targeting, but I'm sort of glad it was overturned. Ruggs was falling back into the end zone, and Delpit did have his head up, ie didn't seem to lower his head and hit him with crown of the helmet. We got a break very similar to this one with Deonte Thompson against Arkansas. Deonte going in for the tackle and the receiver lowers his head at the same time, so you had helmet to helmet contact. We got the TD, and LSU has no excuses that we only won because they were missing their two best defenders. I'm more concerned with the other play where it looked like Delpit was targeting Tua's knee but got the goodies instead.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I'm sure this was a "topic" of discussion in the game thread. Don't understand how in the world this wasn't called targeting.

I just have to think this was a "political" decision based on White's controversial call the week before.
Was it because of that Carville guy???????

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The fact that LSU fans actually believed that the White ejection was an Alabama conspiracy proves out of whack they truly are. Last night crossed the line and as an Alabama graduate and fan it makes me irate beyond words. LSU players were intentionally trying to injure our players without repercussion. I don't know we can do.
I do have to admit that I don't think the LSU Tigers were as BAD as the Missouri TIGERS at trying to hurt Bama players.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I think the reason stated by Brad/Gary (for no-call) was that Ruggs was not a "defenseless" player. He was making a "football move".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Think Aaron Suttles said it best on Twitter last night - glad Delpit wasn't ejected but have no clue what targeting is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.