How Are Ruggs and Najee?

Lovthablues

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2018
Alexandria, Al
Re: Are how Ruggs and Najee?

Wow clicked on this thread to see the latest on Ruggs and Najee... All I see are posts about everything but Ruggs and Najee????? Seems like this thread has veered slightly off course! Any updates on the status of Ruggs and Najee or any other injuries?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Wow clicked on this thread to see the latest on Ruggs and Najee... All I see are posts about everything but Ruggs and Najee????? Seems like this thread has veered slightly off course! Any updates on the status of Ruggs and Najee or any other injuries?
read the thread. answers provided

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

But that's not the point. He was the 3rd string before last week. Of course he needs the reps now, but you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.
But you can let him run the offense and gain valuable experience when he does get in the game. He's played in for games this year (five if you count L8U) and has thrown a total of seven passes. He doesn't appear to be ready to run the offense, and due to Hurts' injury, is now that guy. Tua could hurt his knee just walking to class this week and we'd be (likely) screwed because the coaches haven't allowed Mac to prep as a backup.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN

Not a bad thing but an expected thing. Never been a fan of running up the score late in a game like Spurrier did and Saban does not like it either. Obviously it does not help development at times but showing class is sometimes more important.
I honestly never understood the complaints about running up the score. A team's resume matters for placement in the playoffs and because the second and third string players need reps, both for development but also to show new recruits they can have playing time. It's not like you're just beating down another team to demoralize them. And, frankly, maybe it even gives them more film to work with.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

But you can let him run the offense and gain valuable experience when he does get in the game. He's played in for games this year (five if you count L8U) and has thrown a total of seven passes. He doesn't appear to be ready to run the offense, and due to Hurts' injury, is now that guy. Tua could hurt his knee just walking to class this week and we'd be (likely) screwed because the coaches haven't allowed Mac to prep as a backup.
I agree with you. I do think this is a potential blind spot in the whole operation, but again, I'm just asking the question how many teams even think about getting the 3rd team QB valuable reps? Before the LSU game week, Jalen was our 2nd team guy and he was running the offense normally when he came in (close enough to normal, at least). Tua did last year.

Most teams don't even try to get their 2nd team guy reps, they play the starter deep into the 4th quarter during any blowout so as to preserve his stats. I do hope this doesn't come back to bite us; I know you guys are making a very valid observation. Our reality was that the 3rd team QB was entering several games with a lot of time left and was just handing the ball off instead of getting some valid experience. I'm just making the observation that I think that's unprecedented in the modern, 85 scholarship limit era.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

I honestly never understood the complaints about running up the score. A team's resume matters for placement in the playoffs and because the second and third string players need reps, both for development but also to show new recruits they can have playing time. It's not like you're just beating down another team to demoralize them. And, frankly, maybe it even gives them more film to work with.
Clemson scored 77 on Louisville last week with back ups in the whole second half. No one complained about it. It was simply "style points". If Alabama had done it, we would have been accused of running up the score.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree with you. I do think this is a potential blind spot in the whole operation, but again, I'm just asking the question how many teams even think about getting the 3rd team QB valuable reps? Before the LSU game week, Jalen was our 2nd team guy and he was running the offense normally when he came in (close enough to normal, at least). Tua did last year.

Most teams don't even try to get their 2nd team guy reps, they play the starter deep into the 4th quarter during any blowout so as to preserve his stats. I do hope this doesn't come back to bite us; I know you guys are making a very valid observation. Our reality was that the 3rd team QB was entering several games with a lot of time left and was just handing the ball off instead of getting some valid experience. I'm just making the observation that I think that's unprecedented in the modern, 85 scholarship limit era.
Remember - Alabama is not just any team. Every season under Saban is about winning a national championship. You play a number of games every year that are, in all but name, scrimmages. Those are opportunities to get your second and third team QBs real work - chances to develop them in case you need them.

Does every team do that? No. Why not? Because they cannot. They are fighting for wins against inferior opponents rather than playing in glorified scrimmages.

So, against LSU, had Tua really been knocked out of the game because of that low hit, you are essentially screwed. Why? Because other teams don't develop their 3rd string QBs? Because it will look bad if you keep scoring? Pretty lame reasons to lose a game.

Saban said it - he can't just crap out a player when one gets injured. But he can develop the ones on the roster.

I know that you get it. I have said enough and will let it drop.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I haven't followed the whole discussion, but I see this has shifted to a discussion about backup QBs and how to use them.

I'm already looking forward to the epic, off-season QB thread about "who's going to be the backup next year?" This is going to be crazy!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Remember - Alabama is not just any team. Every season under Saban is about winning a national championship. You play a number of games every year that are, in all but name, scrimmages. Those are opportunities to get your second and third team QBs real work - chances to develop them in case you need them.

Does every team do that? No. Why not? Because they cannot. They are fighting for wins against inferior opponents rather than playing in glorified scrimmages.

So, against LSU, had Tua really been knocked out of the game because of that low hit, you are essentially screwed. Why? Because other teams don't develop their 3rd string QBs? Because it will look bad if you keep scoring? Pretty lame reasons to lose a game.

Saban said it - he can't just crap out a player when one gets injured. But he can develop the ones on the roster.

I know that you get it. I have said enough and will let it drop.
Oh it's fine. I do wish he would have allowed Mac to have more real opportunities, and I'm certainly hoping it doesn't bite us. I do think Coach worries about the score way too much. For crying out loud he made the comment that the didn't really want to score anymore against Tennessee!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I haven't followed the whole discussion, but I see this has shifted to a discussion about backup QBs and how to use them.

I'm already looking forward to the epic, off-season QB thread about "who's going to be the backup next year?" This is going to be crazy!!!
Alabama problems.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Alabama problems.
I saw someone yesterday say that Alabama fans have run out of things to worry about so now they just come up with random things because fans aren't happy unless they are unhappy about something. :biggrin:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I saw someone yesterday say that Alabama fans have run out of things to worry about so now they just come up with random things because fans aren't happy unless they are unhappy about something. :biggrin:
This is basically true. At least this year. Outside of the kicking game we don't have an obvious weakness like literally every other team does.

Also FWIW I agree with basically everything you've said in this thread.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Alabama problems.
Imagine if Jalen elects to return to Alabama for his last season???

It's not likely, I realize, but I've heard a couple of people say he might be better off with another year of Enos instead of going somewhere else?

I personally think he'll go try his luck somewhere...maybe with Kiffin??...and the trio of Taulia, Tysen and Jones will have a cat fight for major backup time next year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Nope - it is not running up the score if you have your 3rd string QB running the offense. Not even close. Has nothing to do with class.
Obviously times have changed. I recall people going nuts over what Spurrier did at UF and what Jimmy Johnson did at Miami by running their offenses late in games and running up the score and people called it classless. The saying "calling off the dogs" comes to mind. I guess I am old school when it comes to that and it is a different world. Again I am not a fan and glad Saban is not either.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017

Was there a negative update on Jalen? Is he now out indefinitely or something?

Any new updates on Najee and Ruggs III?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Was there a negative update on Jalen? Is he now out indefinitely or something?

Any new updates on Najee and Ruggs III?
Just what his brother tweeted - no real updates on any of these guys.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Obviously times have changed. I recall people going nuts over what Spurrier did at UF and what Jimmy Johnson did at Miami by running their offenses late in games and running up the score and people called it classless. The saying "calling off the dogs" comes to mind. I guess I am old school when it comes to that and it is a different world. Again I am not a fan and glad Saban is not either.
They were doing it with their starting players in the game across the board, including their starting QBs. That is not the same.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Imagine if Jalen elects to return to Alabama for his last season???

It's not likely, I realize, but I've heard a couple of people say he might be better off with another year of Enos instead of going somewhere else?

I personally think he'll go try his luck somewhere...maybe with Kiffin??...and the trio of Taulia, Tysen and Jones will have a cat fight for major backup time next year.
If he really wants a shot in the NFL as a QB, he needs to actually play. So it really depends on what he wants for his future. All the development in the world is not going to get him drafted if he can't play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.