How Are Ruggs and Najee? - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Are how Ruggs and Najee?

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Obviously times have changed. I recall people going nuts over what Spurrier did at UF and what Jimmy Johnson did at Miami by running their offenses late in games and running up the score and people called it classless. The saying "calling off the dogs" comes to mind. I guess I am old school when it comes to that and it is a different world. Again I am not a fan and glad Saban is not either.
    They were doing it with their starting players in the game across the board, including their starting QBs. That is not the same.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Imagine if Jalen elects to return to Alabama for his last season???

It's not likely, I realize, but I've heard a couple of people say he might be better off with another year of Enos instead of going somewhere else?

I personally think he'll go try his luck somewhere...maybe with Kiffin??...and the trio of Taulia, Tysen and Jones will have a cat fight for major backup time next year.
    If he really wants a shot in the NFL as a QB, he needs to actually play. So it really depends on what he wants for his future. All the development in the world is not going to get him drafted if he can't play.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

So, back to the thread subject and adding one: Jalen Hurts. Any news? I am having PT on a achilles tendon and asked the therapist about having surgery for a sprained ankle. She said that it must have had a torn ligament or tendon to require surgery...after her sticking needles in my ankle (acupuncture) and it getting better I think we need to send her to Tuscaloosa.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If he really wants a shot in the NFL as a QB, he needs to actually play. So it really depends on what he wants for his future. All the development in the world is not going to get him drafted if he can't play.
    And there's the debate. He might get continued training and become more NFL-like under Enos, but he's looking at reduced playing time.

But, if he goes and plays for Kiffin, will he be turned back into a one read and then run QB?

I tend to agree with you that no mattter what, if he wants to be drafted to play QB he's got to go somewhere and play.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They were doing it with their starting players in the game across the board, including their starting QBs. That is not the same.
    I don't recall 4th qtr games of UF and Miami in the 80's and 90's...... But they were obviously not developing back-ups either so in a way it is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I don't recall 4th qtr games of UF and Miami in the 80's and 90's...... But they were obviously not developing back-ups either so in a way it is the same.
    Sorry, how is it the same to have your first team players continue to destroy a beaten team vs developing your depth? The result may be the same depending on the quality of the opponent, but that does not make them the same thing.

BamaNation First Team im4uainva's Avatar

Speaking of Mac Jones. Here's his dilemma...Tua's back next year? Jalen elects to stay another year? We probably have Taulia and Paul coming in? Where is Mac going to fit in? Elsewhere? Give the kid a chance to play now, let him see what it's like to actually pilot one of the best CFB Teams in the nation. Of course, if he elects to hang around and just share in the many victories...more power to him, I'm glad to see him perservere. I wish him the best, but I do not see him taking over the Bama offense as a starter.

Roll Tide!
    BTW...Ruggs, and Nagee...get well quick!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: How Are Ruggs and Najee?

None of the aforementioned dynasties subbed in backups like Alabama does under Nick Saban.

Steve Spurrier had Danny Weurffel still tossing fade routes in the 4th quarter of blowouts. That's why everybody hated him. Maybe Bazza or Selma can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember.

Geez we are taking the air out of the ball in the 2nd quarter of some of these games this year. No one can accuse Nick Saban of running up the score.

BTW, practice reports are out and Ruggs looked fine, as did Smith. Najee looked limited in practice today.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I agree with you. I do think this is a potential blind spot in the whole operation, but again, I'm just asking the question how many teams even think about getting the 3rd team QB valuable reps? Before the LSU game week, Jalen was our 2nd team guy and he was running the offense normally when he came in (close enough to normal, at least). Tua did last year.

Most teams don't even try to get their 2nd team guy reps, they play the starter deep into the 4th quarter during any blowout so as to preserve his stats. I do hope this doesn't come back to bite us; I know you guys are making a very valid observation. Our reality was that the 3rd team QB was entering several games with a lot of time left and was just handing the ball off instead of getting some valid experience. I'm just making the observation that I think that's unprecedented in the modern, 85 scholarship limit era.
    Yup, totally agree - but several of us have been frustrated over Saban's policy of shutting down the offense and not allowing the younger players to develop. This is the perfect example as to why you should let the players play, even when the game is out of hand. We as Bama fans remember all too well when Croyle and Pennington were injured and Bama had to start Avalos (2003)...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation First Team

My take on this is we have our 3rd team ln if their starters cant stop them let our 3rd string get more experience playing a regular series. Just like it was a 0-0 game. If they cant stop our 3rd team who cares what the score is. Its the best way for our reserves improve and be ready to take over in case some of the guys ahead of them go down

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

How Are Ruggs and Najee?

Quote Originally Posted by im4uainva View Post
    Speaking of Mac Jones. Here's his dilemma...Tua's back next year? Jalen elects to stay another year? We probably have Taulia and Paul coming in? Where is Mac going to fit in? Elsewhere? Give the kid a chance to play now, let him see what it's like to actually pilot one of the best CFB Teams in the nation. Of course, if he elects to hang around and just share in the many victories...more power to him, I'm glad to see him perservere. I wish him the best, but I do not see him taking over the Bama offense as a starter.

Roll Tide!
    BTW...Ruggs, and Nagee...get well quick!
    My cloudy crystal ball says if Jalen stays then Mac leaves. If Jalen leaves then Mac stays to compete with 2 freshman for #2 in the hope that he will get to start the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    My cloudy crystal ball says if Jalen stays then Mac leaves. If Jalen leaves then Mac stays to compete with 2 freshman for #2 in the hope that he will get to start the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think we need to develop Barker kid as well. As of right now, Mac will not start next year. Very good chance mac may transfer after next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*