How Are Ruggs and Najee?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Re: Are how Ruggs and Najee?

So, back to the thread subject and adding one: Jalen Hurts. Any news? I am having PT on a achilles tendon and asked the therapist about having surgery for a sprained ankle. She said that it must have had a torn ligament or tendon to require surgery...after her sticking needles in my ankle (acupuncture) and it getting better I think we need to send her to Tuscaloosa.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If he really wants a shot in the NFL as a QB, he needs to actually play. So it really depends on what he wants for his future. All the development in the world is not going to get him drafted if he can't play.
And there's the debate. He might get continued training and become more NFL-like under Enos, but he's looking at reduced playing time.

But, if he goes and plays for Kiffin, will he be turned back into a one read and then run QB?

I tend to agree with you that no mattter what, if he wants to be drafted to play QB he's got to go somewhere and play.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

They were doing it with their starting players in the game across the board, including their starting QBs. That is not the same.
I don't recall 4th qtr games of UF and Miami in the 80's and 90's...... But they were obviously not developing back-ups either so in a way it is the same.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't recall 4th qtr games of UF and Miami in the 80's and 90's...... But they were obviously not developing back-ups either so in a way it is the same.
Sorry, how is it the same to have your first team players continue to destroy a beaten team vs developing your depth? The result may be the same depending on the quality of the opponent, but that does not make them the same thing.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Speaking of Mac Jones. Here's his dilemma...Tua's back next year? Jalen elects to stay another year? We probably have Taulia and Paul coming in? Where is Mac going to fit in? Elsewhere? Give the kid a chance to play now, let him see what it's like to actually pilot one of the best CFB Teams in the nation. Of course, if he elects to hang around and just share in the many victories...more power to him, I'm glad to see him perservere. I wish him the best, but I do not see him taking over the Bama offense as a starter.

Roll Tide!
BTW...Ruggs, and Nagee...get well quick!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
None of the aforementioned dynasties subbed in backups like Alabama does under Nick Saban.

Steve Spurrier had Danny Weurffel still tossing fade routes in the 4th quarter of blowouts. That's why everybody hated him. Maybe Bazza or Selma can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember.

Geez we are taking the air out of the ball in the 2nd quarter of some of these games this year. No one can accuse Nick Saban of running up the score.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, practice reports are out and Ruggs looked fine, as did Smith. Najee looked limited in practice today.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I agree with you. I do think this is a potential blind spot in the whole operation, but again, I'm just asking the question how many teams even think about getting the 3rd team QB valuable reps? Before the LSU game week, Jalen was our 2nd team guy and he was running the offense normally when he came in (close enough to normal, at least). Tua did last year.

Most teams don't even try to get their 2nd team guy reps, they play the starter deep into the 4th quarter during any blowout so as to preserve his stats. I do hope this doesn't come back to bite us; I know you guys are making a very valid observation. Our reality was that the 3rd team QB was entering several games with a lot of time left and was just handing the ball off instead of getting some valid experience. I'm just making the observation that I think that's unprecedented in the modern, 85 scholarship limit era.
Yup, totally agree - but several of us have been frustrated over Saban's policy of shutting down the offense and not allowing the younger players to develop. This is the perfect example as to why you should let the players play, even when the game is out of hand. We as Bama fans remember all too well when Croyle and Pennington were injured and Bama had to start Avalos (2003)...

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif
My take on this is we have our 3rd team ln if their starters cant stop them let our 3rd string get more experience playing a regular series. Just like it was a 0-0 game. If they cant stop our 3rd team who cares what the score is. Its the best way for our reserves improve and be ready to take over in case some of the guys ahead of them go down

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Speaking of Mac Jones. Here's his dilemma...Tua's back next year? Jalen elects to stay another year? We probably have Taulia and Paul coming in? Where is Mac going to fit in? Elsewhere? Give the kid a chance to play now, let him see what it's like to actually pilot one of the best CFB Teams in the nation. Of course, if he elects to hang around and just share in the many victories...more power to him, I'm glad to see him perservere. I wish him the best, but I do not see him taking over the Bama offense as a starter.

Roll Tide!
BTW...Ruggs, and Nagee...get well quick!
My cloudy crystal ball says if Jalen stays then Mac leaves. If Jalen leaves then Mac stays to compete with 2 freshman for #2 in the hope that he will get to start the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My cloudy crystal ball says if Jalen stays then Mac leaves. If Jalen leaves then Mac stays to compete with 2 freshman for #2 in the hope that he will get to start the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think we need to develop Barker kid as well. As of right now, Mac will not start next year. Very good chance mac may transfer after next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn

I saw someone yesterday say that Alabama fans have run out of things to worry about so now they just come up with random things because fans aren't happy unless they are unhappy about something. :biggrin:
I didn't see that, but I have heard similar things before about our fans. The things that I tend to worry about are about the same as always before. Very few of those things are relevant to other schools. And very few of those things at UA that I might be concerned over are big deals. Can only grade my own self. I don't like unfair judgement or treatment to our athletes from Refs, failed politicians, or media types. Other than that......I will share a statement that has seared into my memory by a boneheaded Awbun duff in 1977 in the 8th floor breakroom at Southern Co on hwy 280. "Do you know WHY Alabama fans are so jealous of us Auburn fans?" The uninterested GT grad was polite enough to answer with..."No. Why is that?" Then came the revelation that was probably born in 1963 when Tucker Frederickson went over the top of our D (which was very good). The War Eagle guy said, "Because...we enjoy a win longer than they do." I don't quote that because I was impressed. I quote it because I still don't understand Awbun logic as it pertains to Bama people.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sounds like the WR corps will be back to full strength. Personally, I hope Najee rests if he's not 100%.
If NH has an high ankle sprain, I doubt one week of rest/therapy (as good as our's is) will make him ready enough to be effective, especially when the three other guys that play the position are all very, very good.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
If NH has an high ankle sprain, I doubt one week of rest/therapy (as good as our's is) will make him ready enough to be effective, especially when the three other guys that play the position are all very, very good.
Was that Najee's injury? High ankle sprain? Hadn't heard that. I feared that he had an ACL or a kneecap injury the way he was stoop hopping to the sideline. Can't lose Najee. He is a warrior.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I didn't see that, but I have heard similar things before about our fans. The things that I tend to worry about are about the same as always before. Very few of those things are relevant to other schools. And very few of those things at UA that I might be concerned over are big deals. Can only grade my own self. I don't like unfair judgement or treatment to our athletes from Refs, failed politicians, or media types. Other than that......I will share a statement that has seared into my memory by a boneheaded Awbun duff in 1977 in the 8th floor breakroom at Southern Co on hwy 280. "Do you know WHY Alabama fans are so jealous of us Auburn fans?" The uninterested GT grad was polite enough to answer with..."No. Why is that?" Then came the revelation that was probably born in 1963 when Tucker Frederickson went over the top of our D (which was very good). The War Eagle guy said, "Because...we enjoy a win longer than they do." I don't quote that because I was impressed. I quote it because I still don't understand Awbun logic as it pertains to Bama people.
They have to enjoy a win longer, they get so few. We just move onto the next one which is usually the next week. They can go a long time between wins so they have to enjoy the last one longer.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Saban said ankle sprain, not high ankle. My hope is he'll be close to 100% for Auburn and Georgia. I doubt we see him this week or next week against The Citadel.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Was that Najee's injury? High ankle sprain? Hadn't heard that. I feared that he had an ACL or a kneecap injury the way he was stoop hopping to the sideline. Can't lose Najee. He is a warrior.
Pretty sure I heard ankle and thought it was a high ankle, which are tougher. I had one in HS and missed 1/3 of a season of basketball. Of course, I was just soaking in a bucket of ice water. No therapy and just natural healing.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Pretty sure I heard ankle and thought it was a high ankle, which are tougher. I had one in HS and missed 1/3 of a season of basketball. Of course, I was just soaking in a bucket of ice water. No therapy and just natural healing.
Yep...I got an elbow to the mouth and had to pull my bottom lip off my teeth. Coach looked at it and said...."Aaaahhhh. Get on up to the gym and wash it out. You tough.Oughta be ok"
Been there too. I didn't talk back to him but today I would mimic my favorite Clint Eastwood line and growl through the blood and say..."Toughs got nuthin' to do with it." I also got an ankle sprain once when I was 26, and it has bothered me ever since. Mostly when coming down stairwells. Feel a snap ping in there. Ankle sprains need attention THEN healing time. We need Najee and Jalen...but I want these guys to be pain free in their daily lives. They get the best in care though so that will happen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.