How Are Ruggs and Najee?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Are how Ruggs and Najee?

Is that you Coach Spurrier? This is not Coach Saban's MO and we all know this so don't ever look for us to 'run our offense' in the 4th qtr when we are up 50. And I agree with this strategy.
Not sure about up by 50, but Saban sure let Tua run the whole offense late into games that were blowouts last year. If he had not, you would still be looking for #17.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Have they faced a group of receivers as talented as Alabama's ? I would venture to say no. LSU has terrific DBs and while they held us in check some they were burned when it mattered. All four of them look to be on the field Saturday, too. Oh and it helps to have the game in Tuscaloosa and not with all those awful cowbells.
no more honest words were ever spoken....

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

This is fan talk and does not have anything to do with my post.

You guys are killing me. You want everyone to believe that you have played tough opponents, but on this forum you say that your opponents suck. LSU sucks, MSU sucks, Auburn sucks. aTm sucks.

Guess what - they don't suck. Alabama is just better. Way better. Changing the way a lot of people look at the game better.
This is correct. However, I don't think LSU was as great as the #3 ranking suggested. There were major weaknesses present on that team. Having said that, will they lose again? I think its possible.

But I'm not one who thinks it is a foregone conclusion that Alabama is going to run away with everything. MSU can beat us. It would take a lot, but it's possible. Not sure about Auburn because there are external factors at play. On paper, theoretically it's possible, but I think Alabama will be hyper focused for the game and that's not good for theory.

Georgia is definitely a tough opponent that can beat us if we are just a little off.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

This is correct. However, I don't think LSU was as great as the #3 ranking suggested. There were major weaknesses present on that team. Having said that, will they lose again? I think its possible.

But I'm not one who thinks it is a foregone conclusion that Alabama is going to run away with everything. MSU can beat us. It would take a lot, but it's possible. Not sure about Auburn because there are external factors at play. On paper, theoretically it's possible, but I think Alabama will be hyper focused for the game and that's not good for theory.

Georgia is definitely a tough opponent that can beat us if we are just a little off.
LSU will win out. No way they lose to Arkansas or Texas A&M. A&M hasn't beaten them since expansion in 2012 and I don't see that changing until Fisher recruits a couple more years.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

LSU will win out. No way they lose to Arkansas or Texas A&M. A&M hasn't beaten them since expansion in 2012 and I don't see that changing until Fisher recruits a couple more years.
Yeah, it's not likely. I thought maybe A&M could a couple of weeks ago, but not anymore. As long as LSU hasn't tanked following losing out of any chance of a title, they'll win out.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Not sure about up by 50, but Saban sure let Tua run the whole offense late into games that were blowouts last year. If he had not, you would still be looking for #17.
Sort of. Here is a situational play chart for Tua last year. I am not sure what the scores of all the games were that he played in but he did not throw the ball as much in the 4th qtr as he did in the 3rd qtr and most of those 4th qtr attempts/completions were against UGA.. And I would doubt he was throwing any when we were up 50 pts.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/8/1085730/passing/situational.html

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
So thankful that this game is at home and not Starkville. State controlled the game last year but their home field was a difference maker for sure. Bryant Denny needs to prove to be a huge home field advantage against MSU and Auburn.
Need to give MSU a taste of the loud noise as well when they have the ball........ let them get confused then the defense can take advantage

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't disagree, but they are still a very, very good team. Top 10 for sure. Alabama has just raised the bar. Like was said in another article, Alabama is First Class, Clemson is Business Class and everyone else is sitting in the back of the plane fighting over peanuts. You guys are so good that teams that would have been top teams in the past simply look flawed after they play you.

After you beat them and expose their flaws, everyone begins to believe that they were "never that good". That is just wrong. How good they are should be based on how they play against the rest of college football, not Alabama.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Sort of. Here is a situational play chart for Tua last year. I am not sure what the scores of all the games were that he played in but he did not throw the ball as much in the 4th qtr as he did in the 3rd qtr. And I would doubt he was throwing any when we were up 50 pts.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/8/1085730/passing/situational.html
The point - Every player on your team gets a chance to improve in garbage time except your QB.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Yep and my point is we all know that is what is going to happen when we are up 50 pts.
Agreed, but you made it seem like a bad thing to expect otherwise. It is not. Saban has been lucky not to lose a starting QB to injury in his tenure at Alabama. That luck has him doing something that places the entire season in greater jeopardy than it needs to be. If Mac had been forced to play when Tua went down in the 1st quarter, you lose to LSU. Why? Because he is no better a player today than he was in the spring game, and that is on Saban.

Saban is the best to ever do it, but he has flaws. This is one of them.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

A&M has serious cracks in their armour right now. Their offense had meltdowns against MSU and Auburn. They should've beaten Auburn but their lack of play makers on the outside and Mond's inability to read coverages has cost them big time. Arkansas is an awful team. They got their clocks cleaned by Vandy. I'll say no more.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Yep and my point is we all know that is what is going to happen when we are up 50 pts.
On the flip side, Brian Robinson has looked very good in mop up duty. I think he could step up some if Najee is out the next two weeks with the ankle.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I'm just not sure how much development the third team QB is supposed to get on any team, though.

How many teams out there are seeing their third team QB playing heavy minutes in several games during the course of the season (without injuries to the other QBs forcing that, of course)?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'm just not sure how much development the third team QB is supposed to get on any team, though.

How many teams out there are seeing their third team QB playing heavy minutes in several games during the course of the season (without injuries to the other QBs forcing that, of course)?
Considering Mac is the de facto second string QB right now, I think it's pretty obvious he needs reps.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Agreed, but you made it seem like a bad thing to expect otherwise. It is not. Saban has been lucky not to lose a starting QB to injury in his tenure at Alabama. That luck has him doing something that places the entire season in greater jeopardy than it needs to be. If Mac had been forced to play when Tua went down in the 1st quarter, you lose to LSU. Why? Because he is no better a player today than he was in the spring game, and that is on Saban.

Saban is the best to ever do it, but he has flaws. This is one of them.
Not a bad thing but an expected thing. Never been a fan of running up the score late in a game like Spurrier did and Saban does not like it either. Obviously it does not help development at times but showing class is sometimes more important.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Not a bad thing but an expected thing. Never been a fan of running up the score late in a game like Spurrier did and Saban does not like it either. Obviously it does not help development at times but showing class is sometimes more important.
Nope - it is not running up the score if you have your 3rd string QB running the offense. Not even close. Has nothing to do with class.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

On the flip side, Brian Robinson has looked very good in mop up duty. I think he could step up some if Najee is out the next two weeks with the ankle.
Just imagine if he gets to play with less than 9 in the box at the end of the game

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.