Matt Wyatt Film Study: Alabama vs LSU, 2018

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That Tua run was amazing! but I noticed something.. Tua had a wide open man right before he took off and ran for touchdown. It was a sure touchdown.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That Tua run was amazing! but I noticed something.. Tua had a wide open man right before he took off and ran for touchdown. It was a sure touchdown.
Yep, Irv was open because the guy covering him fell down.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Maybe ...

... it appeared that Irv's route was taking him toward the safety, who had already started back toward the ball. Tua was quite a bit further from the safety and apparently thought he could out run him to the goal line.

... just my unpolished observation, of course :)

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
If I was producing a football show for CBS or ESPN, I would include a segment with analysis by this guy and John Doe too. It would be a great way of getting some variety into the show. This guy is really good.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll have to watch it again, but on the Tua run, it's true Irv broke open in the middle of the field. But I think Tua had made the decision to run the instant before that happened. Just another second, and I'm sure he would have saw him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Any idea why we kept jumping offsides in that drive in the 4th quarter? I think we had 3-4 in 6 plays.
L8U obviously changed the offensive count in a vain attempt to slow Bama down.
In addition, we also knew they were doing nothing but trying to pass to put up at least one score to get the goose egg off the board. So our guys were just pinning their ears back. They smelled blood in the water!

I bet 1/3 of their total offense for the game occurred on the last couple of drives when one of them ended by the missed short fg attempt.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
L8U obviously changed the offensive count in a vain attempt to slow Bama down.
Maybe they did change the count or cadence, but the players seemed to get awful excited when an OL was called for a false start. Made me think they were being drawn offsides.
I'll have to watch it again, but on the Tua run, it's true Irv broke open in the middle of the field. But I think Tua had made the decision to run the instant before that happened. Just another second, and I'm sure he would have saw him.
Yep. Tua wasn't in a spot to make the throw by the time Irv was clearly open. He would have had to throw on the run without planting his feet. If he tried to plant and squareup, the DL would have gotten him.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
it looked like on the first td to ruggs, that najee would have had a pretty much open run to the end zone had he been given the ball. he is really hard to bring down once he gets past the line.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
In addition, we also knew they were doing nothing but trying to pass to put up at least one score to get the goose egg off the board. So our guys were just pinning their ears back. They smelled blood in the water!

I bet 1/3 of their total offense for the game occurred on the last couple of drives when one of them ended by the missed short fg attempt.

Probably closer to 1/2 of their total offense. They had 67 at halftime IIRC and they did nothing in the 3rd qtr.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
it looked like on the first td to ruggs, that najee would have had a pretty much open run to the end zone had he been given the ball. he is really hard to bring down once he gets past the line.
I'll take Ruggs 1v1 on a DB over Najee breaking through 2 layers defenders even with big gaps. The numbers matchup is just better on that 1st read IMO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
[/B]Probably closer to 1/2 of their total offense. They had 67 at halftime IIRC and they did nothing in the 3rd qtr.
The missed FG drive started with 1:41 left in the third quarter. It went for 64 yards. The last drive went for 63 yards. 127 of their yards came on the last two drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Really love the Matt Wyatt film studies. The guy knows his football.

Quinnen Williams is an alien. No human can beat double teams consistently. He's absolutely amazing. I don't know where Quinnen is on the NFL draft boards, but if I were an NFL GM he be at the top of my list.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.