First Day of Hoops Season.....and

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The top thread is about Teddy Valentine and the next thread has evolved into talking about how good Auburn was when they played us last year.

Pretty sad, actually.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If we were opening with a more high profile opponent then there would be more discussion. I think we all expect to win this one fairly easily just on talent difference alone. Coach probably won't run it up on his alma mater even if he could but I would expect a 20-25 point victory. It will be good to have some basketball to watch as the football season is starting to wind down.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Feel free to start a non-passive aggressive post about the opening game. I agree with the poster above, the low profile opponent is likely part of it. A post LSU beat down hangover is probably part of it too. This board doesn't typically heat up until late non-conference kicks in. You already knew that though.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It is a warmup for the tournament in Charleston next week. I hope we work some of the kinks out early and get off to strong start. We need to improve in a lot of areas to content in the SEC this year.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Once football season is over this forum will get a lot more traffic. I will only have a passing interest in this game. Probably will not watch the whole game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
After reading some of the preview threads and knowing the Collin Sexton could put the team on his back for stretches last year by getting to the rim and free throw line for instant points, I'm anxious to see what kind of shooting team this one will become.

My biggest concern is we've got to have Petty, Jones and Ingram to turn into reliable scorers. That'll only happen if they've become better shooters. It's been our achilles heel for a few years now (excluding Sexton) that we haven't had great/consistent 3 point shooting.

In today's game, if you can't shoot 3's you can't keep up. I saw a clip of Duke's coach, the great Coach K talking to his roster about two things: shooting FTs and shooting 3s. He basically said everybody on our team has got to be able to shoot the uncontested 3.

I know we aren't Duke and will never be so in basketball, but I'm looking forward to seeing Coach Avery address this team's shooting develop and improvement!!! JMO, but I don't think we return to the 2nd best program in the league, as we were for years, until we show we can be a great shooting team again.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
After reading some of the preview threads and knowing the Collin Sexton could put the team on his back for stretches last year by getting to the rim and free throw line for instant points, I'm anxious to see what kind of shooting team this one will become.

My biggest concern is we've got to have Petty, Jones and Ingram to turn into reliable scorers. That'll only happen if they've become better shooters. It's been our achilles heel for a few years now (excluding Sexton) that we haven't had great/consistent 3 point shooting.

In today's game, if you can't shoot 3's you can't keep up. I saw a clip of Duke's coach, the great Coach K talking to his roster about two things: shooting FTs and shooting 3s. He basically said everybody on our team has got to be able to shoot the uncontested 3.

I know we aren't Duke and will never be so in basketball, but I'm looking forward to seeing Coach Avery address this team's shooting develop and improvement!!! JMO, but I don't think we return to the 2nd best program in the league, as we were for years, until we show we can be a great shooting team again.
Also the league has changed since we were the 2nd best team in the league. I think top 4 year in and year out is reasonable though.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm totally excited about this season. We have a chance to really do some great things if we gel as a team early ... but honestly I won't be full into it until the tournament in Charleston starts like another poster mentioned. These games with Southern and Montevello feel like preseason IMO

I'll be in fully when the competition ramps up more.

With that being said ... BUCKLEUP!!! lol

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Is tonight’s game on TV (Direct TV channel #?) or streaming anywhere?

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We're up 18 at the half. The game has been hard to watch due to a lack of rhythm. Lewis and Mack have played and looked okay. Dazon is out with an ankle issue.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
We're up 18 at the half. The game has been hard to watch due to a lack of rhythm. Lewis and Mack have played and looked okay. Dazon is out with an ankle issue.
Agreed. Also I was having problems streaming the game, it kept freezing and then jumping ahead a few seconds which made it tough to follow. I think the problem was with either the ESPN app or the SEC Network+ because I can stream Youtube TV all day with no glitches. I tried watching part of the 1st half but finally gave up and took the dog for a walk.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
With the exceptions of UK and UF, the SEC had a pretty good night.
Man ... UK got THROTTLED lol

I know they will get it together but man ... they just looked like they were not prepared at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.