The D-Line Play in Bama-MSU Is Appointment Viewing for Fans and Scouts Alike

The D-Line Play in Bama-MSU Is Appointment Viewing for Fans and Scouts Alike

The meeting between the Tigers and the Crimson Tide annually draws more NFL interest than any other regular season college football game, but it might get topped this weekend. Alabama’s game against Mississippi State could feature as many as five first-round draft picks—at one position group. Saturday afternoon’s game at Bryant-Denny Stadium is “somewhat unprecedented,” says Bleacher Report NFL draft analyst Matt Miller. “I don’t think you’d be overselling it if you say this is the best matchup of defensive lines we’ll see this year or we’ll see in a long time.”

Competing in Saturday’s game will be five defensive linemen who are ranked among the top 50 2019 NFL draft prospects, the biggest haul of D-line prospects in a single game since Clemson and Alabama met in the 2015 national championship game, experts say. Alabama boasts three of the five: Nose guard Quinnen Williams is the mostly highly touted of the bunch, ranked by many as a top-10 pick; defensive tackle Raekwon Davis is 6'7", 315 pounds; and tackle Isaiah Buggs is a stat hog with nine sacks, six quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles. There are two from Mississippi State: tackle Jeffery Simmons is projected as a sure-fire first-rounder, and Montez Sweat, the only defensive end of the bunch, prides himself on speed and quickness. Good luck to the offensive lines.
    The D-Line Play in Alabama—Mississippi State Is Appointment Viewing for Fans and Scouts Alike
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Re: The D-Line Play in Bama-MSU Is Appointment Viewing for Fans and Scouts Alike

Looking at the next 3 out of 4 games, the DL's on each team are considered outstanding. We will find out how good our OL is -- and I think it will be up to the task.

Just to reiterate the obvious -- there is an abundance of line talent in the SEC on both sides of the ball. No wonder we are the dominant conference.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation First Team

Re: The D-Line Play in Bama-MSU Is Appointment Viewing for Fans and Scouts Alike

This is a game that I am glad it appears late in the schedule. Our OL was a concern while they got used to Locksley or at least I had that in my head. I am sure the pulling schemes and blocking schemes were mire of a timing issue than in the past. But they seem to be performing with killer instinct now.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Jennings being completely healthy makes A LOAD of difference. I know in the Clemson playoff game D Payne got the accolades and showered with the post game attention. But go back and watch that game. Jennings completely wrecked their offensive line. Up until he went down #33 was the wrecking ball that completely disrupted Clemson's offense. Saturday night against L8U, Williams got the accolades and deservedly so. But #33 didn't have such a bad night either. Christian Miller was also gettin' his on the other side. All of these guys are now healthy and it's like a pack of wolves chasing a three legged dog. It's unfair. RTR!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Jennings being completely healthy makes A LOAD of difference. I know in the Clemson playoff game D Payne got the accolades and showered with the post game attention. But go back and watch that game. Jennings completely wrecked their offensive line. Up until he went down #33 was the wrecking ball that completely disrupted Clemson's offense. Saturday night against L8U, Williams got the accolades and deservedly so. But #33 didn't have such a bad night either. Christian Miller was also gettin' his on the other side. All of these guys are now healthy and it's like a pack of wolves chasing a three legged dog. It's unfair. RTR!
    Those guys and R. Davis were dominating despite being blatantly held all night. All the more impressive.

BamaNation All-SEC

I sure wish we could get Terrell Lewis back at some point.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    I sure wish we could get Terrell Lewis back at some point.
    I do too and hopefully we will get him back for post season but Terrell is a Jack LB and not a DL even though he lines up as a pass rusher (so is Anfernee).

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I do too and hopefully we will get him back for post season but Terrell is a Jack LB and not a DL even though he lines up as a pass rusher (so is Anfernee).
    Agreed - He would provide depth for the playoffs, but Jennings has stepped up all season.