What was with Grant Delpit deliberately trying to take Tua’s knee out?

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
SEC IS strangely quiet with all that don't you agree? I think a few of Mizzou's players should be called out. I think the same of LSU. I want to know why no flags thrown there. No dead ball foul or roughing the passer or anything. Why? We heard 100% more whining about Dylan Moses' push right on the sideline which COULD have been called, but GD called the foul...and then the disgust that it wasn't. Don't recall him worrying about Tua getting hammered by 2 Lsu players after the whistle. Whatever happened to the "Hey Ref...We can't hear our signals" rule?? The refs used to caution the fans. Same as the cowbell joke that we see in Starkville.
Another problem I had with the refs was the PI call on Savion, ball was clearly uncatchable and they still called PI.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It was 1000% deliberate and dirty.

I'm not wishing ill on Delpit but Karma(or whatever you want to call it) usually gets around to players like him.

Honestly I credit our entire team for not letting things get overly 'chippy' to the point of multiple PF's being dished out after seeing the Tua hit and Ruggs III getting targeted in the endzone.
for what it's worth, he did get abused repeatedly on national television.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Coming in low like that on a QB was a deliberate shot, IMO. If you`re just going for the sack, the vast majority of the time you`ll be up high where you have a shot at stripping the ball. An exception to coming in high would be if the QB was running away and the defender was diving after him to trip him.
I believe it was a deliberate attempt to take a cheap shot at Tua’s knee.

He was going for the knee, but got a sack....just not a “sack” in the traditional terms of football! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I have been recovering from surgery and housebound soout of Boredom...been keeping up with Finebaum. Since that time.....I have not seen or heard that that guy has been back on air. He got spanked for that. I THINK that they are not accepting him to get connected. Jmo. Finebaum will clear anybody for a rating bump. James Carville for instance. Rest my case your Honor.
He was on the show Monday talking about how Bama hasn’t played a defense like they’re gonna see when they play Georgia, and other related uga homerisms. Paul, like he always does, roped him in, and then sprung the trap..(paraphrasing) “how many points did Georgia beat LSU by? No..they lost by 20!....Alabama beat LSU by 29, and LSU beat Georgia by 20, so Alabama is 49 points better than Georgia!”

Then he hung up on him!

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
He was on the show Monday talking about how Bama hasn’t played a defense like they’re gonna see when they play Georgia, and other related uga homerisms. Paul, like he always does, roped him in, and then sprung the trap..(paraphrasing) “how many points did Georgia beat LSU by? No..they lost by 20!....Alabama beat LSU by 29, and LSU beat Georgia by 20, so Alabama is 49 points better than Georgia!”

Then he hung up on him!

Darriel wouldn't be so bold in person. Guaranteed.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Coming in low like that on a QB was a deliberate shot, IMO. If you`re just going for the sack, the vast majority of the time you`ll be up high where you have a shot at stripping the ball. An exception to coming in high would be if the QB was running away and the defender was diving after him to trip him.
He was going for the "sack" alright! Ouch!

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It was the only way to slow Tua down, hurt him. They knew if he was still standing their great DB's were still going to get burned.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
What I’ve heard about it is NOT good. I’d hope it isn’t the case but I’m having my doubts on the innocence plea. Heard a lot about the Missouri players too. Our boys were NONE too happy and NONE had a problem with Raekwon. I’ll just leave it at that.

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
Delpit was just too inept, and missed the knee. Burrow missed most passes. Their kicker missed the field goal.
IT PROLLY WAS INTENTIONAL, BUT INEPTITUDE WON THE DAY. :p

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
One complaint about the targeting rule that I have heard fairly often is that tacklers are going low more to avoid even incidental helmet to helmet contact which would be called targeting. I have not seen anything about knee injuries, but I have noticed more players hitting ball carriers around the knees. I have seen a few whiffs too because the tackler is looking down and the ball carrier makes an easy juke. The tackle low approach does open the door for more dirty play because players can use the avoid targeting excuse to take a shot at someone's knee.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Guy asked Finebaum about the targeting call yesterday. Paul mentioned he kind of forgot about it since it was so early in the game and the final outcome but he talked to numerous rules experts that said it should have been upheld. He continued by saying the impression the overturn gave is that the officials were affected by the circumstances, which bothers him after he and so many others in the media spent two weeks saying officials aren't/shouldn't be impacted by other circumstances.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.