What was with Grant Delpit deliberately trying to take Tua’s knee out? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Re: What was with Grant Delpit deliberately trying to take Tua’s knee out?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    This wasn't too good either:eek
    As John Doe pointed out if Tua's right cleats had been in the ground when taking that hit it's potentially a season ending injury. Absolutely a dirty hit.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    As John Doe pointed out if Tua's right cleats had been in the ground when taking that hit it's potentially a season ending injury. Absolutely a dirty hit.
    2-3 seconds after the whistle.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

One guy hit high, the other low, like it was planned.

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    One guy hit high, the other low, like it was planned.
    You know, looking at that, it's a wonder they didn't succeed in taking him out of the game, perhaps forever. It's about as dirty as it gets. I guess there's really no point into trying to take LSU's QB out of the game, in any event...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

What was with Grant Delpit deliberately trying to take Tua’s knee out?

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    You know, looking at that, it's a wonder they didn't succeed in taking him out of the game, perhaps forever. It's about as dirty as it gets. I guess there's really no point into trying to take LSU's QB out of the game, in any event...
    If his foot would have gotten stuck in the grass they would have. Initially, I thought it did.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Which is why most referee's step in front of the QB. I thought he was finished for the year when I first saw that hit. Never were so many so happy that a player got hit in the "goodies." (Where did that nickname come from anyway?)
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Which is why most referee's step in front of the QB. I thought he was finished for the year when I first saw that hit. Never were so many so happy that a player got hit in the "goodies." (Where did that nickname come from anyway?)
    I would give a pretty penny to see/hear the communications between Shaw and this crew. All our opponents think it's an advantage to have him heading up the officials' office. In fact, he's bent over so far backwards not to appear biased, it's hurt us...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

It's interesting that some of the players heard the whistle and stopped but the two guys who had Tua in their sights didn't???

When you watch the TV angle replay, Delpit starts to "go low" about 2 steps before he hit's Tua.

That's a good observation about his right leg/cleats not being planted too. It caused him to go down like a sack of potatoes, but that's better than what would have happened if his foot was planted.

Here is the last section of the targeting rule: "Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet." The QB, after the play is blown dead fits the definition of "defenseless" player. So LSU managed to walk on TWO targeting calls in that game. Nevertheless, a couple of posters on their boards still have the temerity (or just plain stupidity) to claim we had help from the officials...

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Yes, could have been multiple fouls there on LSU:

targetting, per rule, hitting with the crown of the helmet

dead ball, late hit/unecessary roughness/personal foul - whatever

We had been whisted for "false start" but the other foul should have been walked off/enforced after our false start and shouldn't have been offsetting because it occurred after the play.

BamaNation Third Team

I have not heard anything about alabama staff making a complaint about this to the SEC, why is this? I would think you would do this to at least put a bug in officials ears for next game.
    I would think there is a process. At the very least it is a legitimate argument that the hit on tua was to deliberately injure. What makes this blatantly obvious is game situation everyone goes for the exposed ball, it was sitting right in front of Delpit and he ignored it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wakecrash View Post
    I have not heard anything about Alabama staff making a complaint about this to the SEC, why is this?
    Saban does not generally play that game. It doesn't help, and it never makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakecrash View Post
    I have not heard anything about alabama staff making a complaint about this to the SEC, why is this? I would think you would do this to at least put a bug in officials ears for next game.
    I would think there is a process. At the very least it is a legitimate argument that the hit on tua was to deliberately injure. What makes this blatantly obvious is game situation everyone goes for the exposed ball, it was sitting right in front of Delpit and he ignored it.
    Because Saban wouldn't publicly say he made a complaint. He very well could have, and we don't know because it wasn't publicized.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson